Confirmed with Link: Meghan Hunter has been promoted to Assistant General Manager

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It may be a long season for you, Douglas.
lol

what I'm crying about is that I think it's going to be a really long half decade, because when enough talent is accumulated to move forward, they'll fall on their face. Kind of feels like Hextall in PHI, but worse.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He clearly stated, and it's a clear obvious reason why he didn't trade guys like that for low value. You don't just start saying I will accept any offer and trade guys for low value.

Do you want the GM of the blackhawks to sent the precedent any low value is better than no value?

I guess by your edit you think that's a pointless message... which is odd. also odd you think his cat value wasn't too low when that is something universally seen as so.
You can set a fair attainable number and stick to it though.

Asks for a prospect after agreeing to a less than first trade, what the hell was that?

It's a full tear down. The precedent stuff on valuing players is the stuff of fairy tales. Every gm knows you're moving them all already. Every deadline we watch a couple gms fall on their sword for honor. He's not gaining anything in any season by overpricing players.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
lol

what I'm crying about is that I think it's going to be a really long half decade, because when enough talent is accumulated to move forward, they'll fall on their face. Kind of feels like Hextall in PHI, but worse.
I feel like we are going to be different than Philly in the sense that in the last 12 years, they've had 3 picks inside the top 10 of the draft. Nolan Patrick (unfortunately health issues and not seemingly going to pan out), Provorov (good defensemen, upside still there), and Couturier (who is an absolute menace and plays well but getting seasoned).

Only having three picks inside the top 10 over a twelve-year period isn't a recipe for success, coupled with GMs that most would say have been disastrous (Holmgren, Hextall, and now Chuck). Mix in some bad trades, the older talent that dragged on from the previous regime (Giroux should've left sooner), and it doesn't turn out well.

I think Chicago is different because we are committing to being awful, getting the picks needed, and then building it up properly. Philly has been patchwork, lottery luck, and poor club culture.

Douglas, I implore you to be optimistic about the future and come on this wild ride with me. We shall commiserate the bad times, and celebrate the good, but no matter what, be there for each other.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I feel like we are going to be different than Philly in the sense that in the last 12 years, they've had 3 picks inside the top 10 of the draft. Nolan Patrick (unfortunately health issues and not seemingly going to pan out), Provorov (good defensemen, upside still there), and Couturier (who is an absolute menace and plays well but getting seasoned).

Only having three picks inside the top 10 over a twelve-year period isn't a recipe for success, coupled with GMs that most would say have been disastrous (Holmgren, Hextall, and now Chuck). Mix in some bad trades, the older talent that dragged on from the previous regime (Giroux should've left sooner), and it doesn't turn out well.

I think Chicago is different because we are committing to being awful, getting the picks needed, and then building it up properly. Philly has been patchwork, lottery luck, and poor club culture.

Douglas, I implore you to be optimistic about the future and come on this wild ride with me. We shall commiserate the bad times, and celebrate the good, but no matter what, be there for each other.
I can be bribed to come along for a billion dollars.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought moving up 13 spots for Mrazek was a fine trade. That’s still a lot of value for that cap hit.

We’re biased because Bowman for so routinely bent over, not every GM will accept terrible deals because they need the cap.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
For days people complained about thr mrazek trade as bad because it "helped the Leafs" ..suddenly that stopped being said for some reason hmm.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Well I suppose, and then when Toronto made the Murray trade suddenly they realized it didn't actually help the Leafs
Toronto traded away Petr Mrazek $ AND a 1st, Sam Rinzel

Not the first time…

Toronto traded away a 1st to Carolina to get rid of Patrick Marleau $, so again getting themselves into the playoffs and losing in the first round COST THEM Seth Jarvis…

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The Leafs are horribly mismanaged.

It wasn't too long ago they were looking like the most promising team in the league.

All squandered in a few years of Dubas.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
On Bupkis.

No, he overplayed his hand. Pushing for a first with MAF was not smart and cost him time. Multiple teams were looking at LD and he wanted a 2nd. Whether he was gauging the market wrong or just wanted to send a message, he got it wrong.

On the body of work, the body isn't good.

I'm not sure why everybody in the media trusted his comments after the deadline "ah shucks, they just didn't like our guys". Other cities were discussing what Chicago wanted. Our media was way too quick to trust the new guy. Min gave a ridiculously low risk condition for the first after the game of chicken.
“Pushing for a first with MAF was not smart and cost him time”

What are you suggesting was the opportunity cost?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He set a price on Hagel that most people laughed at, and got it. I really dont see your issue.
Days before the deadline, probably means TB set the price and priced everyone out of contention rather than KD shaking a gm down more. There's no issue with that as fan, glad CHI had a coveted player in a terr down.

I'm not accepting that he's doing a good job because he didn't shoot himself in the foot on Hagel.
Imagine thinking CDH had value.:laugh:

There's a reason nobody has offered him a contract.
Yes, imagine that, we're in the same chapter if not same page here. We both agree he was asking significantly more than he was worth. I think that's foolish to shoot way over market value, especially when you're stripping the club down.

There are alot of reasons he didn't get a contract since,, starting with age and injury history. That wasn't the case in March, he was only a rental. Teams were asking and gms that wanted a LD didn't add one.

“Pushing for a first with MAF was not smart and cost him time”

What are you suggesting was the opportunity cost?
Time. Gms couldn't have serious cap dollar talks with him. Trades don't materialize overnight with so many dollar and players set to be moved around the league.

Screwing around looking for a first and capspace when he had so many players to move out of the way and a dozen teams looking to shed cap (based on moves from mid march through now). A mid to late 2nd was fair or good given the circumstances based on goalie swaps at deadlines, especially given how poorly they have gone for the acquiring team the last few decades. Take the deal on or before Saturday (without needlessly risking the injury), and focus on the other possibilities, especially with the cap dollars.

I would be more optimistic but the big check with the eagle on it didn't clear yet.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
For days people complained about thr mrazek trade as bad because it "helped the Leafs" ..suddenly that stopped being said for some reason hmm.
If it helps, I really don't like eating 3.8 x 2 for 13 spots just to draft a very long term project in year 1 of a full rebuild. Could care less about bailing out a non conference gm.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Awful lot of assumptions being made about how negotiations went when none of us really have a clue.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Days before the deadline, probably means TB set the price and priced everyone out of contention rather than KD shaking a gm down more. There's no issue with that as fan, glad CHI had a coveted player in a terr down.

I'm not accepting that he's doing a good job because he didn't shoot himself in the foot on Hagel.
KD set the price, and teams had to match it. Yes, Im sure TB called and said, he's worth a 1st and a 3rd, but hey, we'll give you 2 1sts instead.

And you are contradicting yourself, as KD set the price for Hagel, and most would have agreed it's significantly more than what he is worth....
We both agree he was asking significantly more than he was worth.
...yet here you criticize him for setting a price too high on other players lol Make your mind up.

He has made multiple good moves so far, Nylander for a useful player, Hagel trade, Dach trade, Mrazek deal

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Awful lot of assumptions being made about how negotiations went when none of us really have a clue.
We have alot of specific information regarding the MAF negotiations regarding timelines and asks from Minnesota stories including the athletic article. We learned he was asking a 2nd for CDH because teams were asking Chicago for LD.

Yes, guessing on anything that wasn't reported by a credible source. I think enough is there in reporting and body of transactions to support an argument KD was generally overpricing the market at the deadline.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
We have alot of specific information regarding the MAF negotiations regarding timelines and asks from Minnesota stories including the athletic article. We learned he was asking a 2nd for CDH because teams were asking Chicago for LD.

Yes, guessing on anything that wasn't reported by a credible source. I think enough is there in reporting and body of transactions to support an argument KD was generally overpricing the market at the deadline.

I don't buy into those reports all that much, but that's just me.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Yes, imagine that, we're in the same chapter if not same page here. We both agree he was asking significantly more than he was worth. I think that's foolish to shoot way over market value, especially when you're stripping the club down.

There are alot of reasons he didn't get a contract since,, starting with age and injury history. That wasn't the case in March, he was only a rental. Teams were asking and gms that wanted a LD didn't add one.

Time. Gms couldn't have serious cap dollar talks with him. Trades don't materialize overnight with so many dollar and players set to be moved around the league.

Screwing around looking for a first and capspace when he had so many players to move out of the way and a dozen teams looking to shed cap (based on moves from mid march through now). A mid to late 2nd was fair or good given the circumstances based on goalie swaps at deadlines, especially given how poorly they have gone for the acquiring team the last few decades. Take the deal on or before Saturday (without needlessly risking the injury), and focus on the other possibilities, especially with the cap dollars.

I would be more optimistic but the big check with the eagle on it didn't clear yet.
Not seeing any opportunity cost relating to time. Everyone knew maf was getting traded. Everyone knew exactly how much cap space Chicago would have available. There was nothing precluding concrete cap space trades from being discussed.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Not seeing any opportunity cost relating to time. Everyone knew maf was getting traded. Everyone knew exactly how much cap space Chicago would have available. There was nothing precluding concrete cap space trades from being discussed.
It's not an academic exercise but there is value in time and timing with NHL transactions.

Not everyone knew he was getting traded, including Minnesota and they didn't know the cap dollars involved. Big trades like that are bottleneck often bottlenecks. Some gms hang around and others move on. When the asks are wrong, there isn't much dialogue and we get the "there wasn't much interest" or "there wasn't alot of talk" thing in answers as to why so many assets weren't moved.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

All of this ranting and raving over the last several pages is based on hearsay and your assumptions. You haven't even provided a source for any of the rumors you keep citing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00