Confirmed with Link: Meghan Hunter has been promoted to Assistant General Manager

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
But what does Scotty Bowman have to with the Blackhawks? His tie to the organization was through his son.

I don't see why there's a need to keep him around as some ambassador.
He had a big influence on decisions they made and other bodies joining the franchise though. I dont get this its not like he has ties view, if not for Scotty's influence they probably don't sign Hossa over extending Havlat like Tallon wanted. They don't have Barry Smith helping the team PP and coaching prospects or maybe don't sign Panarin cause he had some connecting influence.

It was because his son but he has some connections and influence early on there. But even like 2 years ago Stan said he talked to him like 1 time a month about hockey. I never got the vibe some seem to have that oh Stan would of talked to him about Beach or even Rocky knowing. The problem is Stan and others acted like it was nothing and just moved on ignoring it. Not something they mulled over and discussed for days or weeksm

But I figure they think having him might keep some connections in their favor still. I know Barry Smith is coaching again in Europe so he's not on staff. But other names can be an influence.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He had a big influence on decisions they made and other bodies joining the franchise though. I dont get this its not like he has ties view, if not for Scotty's influence they probably don't sign Hossa over extending Havlat like Tallon wanted. They don't have Barry Smith helping the team PP and coaching prospects or maybe don't sign Panarin cause he had some connecting influence.

It was because his son but he has some connections and influence early on there. But even like 2 years ago Stan said he talked to him like 1 time a month about hockey. I never got the vibe some seem to have that oh Stan would of talked to him about Beach or even Rocky knowing. The problem is Stan and others acted like it was nothing and just moved on ignoring it. Not something they mulled over and discussed for days or weeksm

But I figure they think having him might keep some connections in their favor still. I know Barry Smith is coaching again in Europe so he's not on staff. But other names can be an influence.
And what has he done lately?

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Congrats I guess.

Don’t know if this is a good hire or bad. Don’t know if the role matters all that much or not.

Time will tell.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
How does Karilyn Pilch become Director of Player Personnel after only 1 yr with the Blackhawks (her 1st job in the NHL) as a scout ?

Do you know of any other short experience(in NHL org) scout getting that high a promotional responsibility that fast?Not simply that shevuscfemale...ratger questioning how you go from scout to top director of hockey personnel at all letcakine thatquickly?

Now it might be true she qualifies on the educational requirements (business degree plus concentration in finance) ....maybe part of her tasks will be to serve as Capologist ? But usually Director of Player Oersonnel leases with the Directors of Amateur Scouting(Doneghy) and the Director of Pro Scoutibg and I assume filters and collates tgeirvScouting Reports into formats for passing on upto the Assustant GM or GM ...otherwise I have zero idea of what tasks she must perform i this role...Maybe somebody figured she was better to manGe reports or the cap ratger that simply scout prospects?

It seems to me ratgerxa confusing structure of responsibilities...so unless we get a clearer idea of what exactly she does as Directorof Player Personnel and who she reports to and whatcexavtlyvshecrepirts,I have no idea OF this is merely mote virtue signaling of female promotion OR that she was the best person inside the organization(after 1 yr scoutibg) to get promotedctobthos job?

Would any other NJL team give such a job promotion to any lower grade employee after just 1 year with tgeborganization?Woukd other teams promote a mere scout to such a position of responsibility as Player Personnell Director?

Or isctgectitle more ceremonial only and is she a redundant "middlewinan"?

We have no clue because they did not list her exact duties as they did list for Meagan Hunter in tgexsssuatan GM role ..

Alk I am saying is that regarding Karilyn Pilcht it just seems an unusual promotion from what she was doing before.

Sure scouts have gone from mere scout to Director of Scouting after usually several years of scouting experience...but after just 1 year?

So I woukd lijevto know exactly what tasks she is nowcresponsible for and whether any of these are redundancies given the responsibilities Donaghy has with scouting for the Entry Draft and with what our Pro Scoutibg Director does with his scoutibg staff on the professional side of finding pros to acquire via free agency or trades.

I am just curious if our Director Player Per.rsonnel does tge sametaskscas other NHL teams give their Director ofcPkayer Personnel or if we just slapped that title on her and she in fact is doing otherctasks that otger team's do not givevtheir Director of Player Oersonnel?

It just alk seensxquitecstrangwvto me unless thusvis more P to virtuecsignal how great tgecHawks are in putting women into high management jobs.

Good for the Hawks doing that...but I still fo not see how a mere scout with only 2 year scouting experience to find NHL prospects moves all the way upto Director level that quickly?

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
It just alk seensxquitecstrangwvto me unless thusvis more P to virtuecsignal how great tgecHawks are in putting women into high management jobs.

Good for the Hawks doing that...but I still fo not see how a mere scout with only 2 year scouting experience to find NHL prospects moves all the way upto Director level that quickly?

For one, she is an excellent typist.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
How does Karilyn Pilch become Director of Player Personnel after only 1 yr with the Blackhawks (her 1st job in the NHL) as a scout ?

Do you know of any other short experience(in NHL org) scout getting that high a promotional responsibility that fast?Not simply that shevuscfemale...ratger questioning how you go from scout to top director of hockey personnel at all letcakine thatquickly?

Now it might be true she qualifies on the educational requirements (business degree plus concentration in finance) ....maybe part of her tasks will be to serve as Capologist ? But usually Director of Player Oersonnel leases with the Directors of Amateur Scouting(Doneghy) and the Director of Pro Scoutibg and I assume filters and collates tgeirvScouting Reports into formats for passing on upto the Assustant GM or GM ...otherwise I have zero idea of what tasks she must perform i this role...Maybe somebody figured she was better to manGe reports or the cap ratger that simply scout prospects?

It seems to me ratgerxa confusing structure of responsibilities...so unless we get a clearer idea of what exactly she does as Directorof Player Personnel and who she reports to and whatcexavtlyvshecrepirts,I have no idea OF this is merely mote virtue signaling of female promotion OR that she was the best person inside the organization(after 1 yr scoutibg) to get promotedctobthos job?

Would any other NJL team give such a job promotion to any lower grade employee after just 1 year with tgeborganization?Woukd other teams promote a mere scout to such a position of responsibility as Player Personnell Director?

Or isctgectitle more ceremonial only and is she a redundant "middlewinan"?

We have no clue because they did not list her exact duties as they did list for Meagan Hunter in tgexsssuatan GM role ..

Alk I am saying is that regarding Karilyn Pilcht it just seems an unusual promotion from what she was doing before.

Sure scouts have gone from mere scout to Director of Scouting after usually several years of scouting experience...but after just 1 year?

So I woukd lijevto know exactly what tasks she is nowcresponsible for and whether any of these are redundancies given the responsibilities Donaghy has with scouting for the Entry Draft and with what our Pro Scoutibg Director does with his scoutibg staff on the professional side of finding pros to acquire via free agency or trades.

I am just curious if our Director Player Per.rsonnel does tge sametaskscas other NHL teams give their Director ofcPkayer Personnel or if we just slapped that title on her and she in fact is doing otherctasks that otger team's do not givevtheir Director of Player Oersonnel?

Do you have a clue of what the director of player personnel does?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Well Scotty did leave, sounds like they said we won't fire you but you can walk away from beying paid for merely being the name

Reactions: Kevin Musto

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I do not like this front office. Where is the experienced talent?

Too many rookie hires by a meddling owner's kid.

Screams of making it look interesting and thoughtful as he guts everything, probably on Dad's orders, to rehab the brand.

Doesn't seem like the right direction and the asset management kind of sucks right now. Overplayed his had at the deadline, sat on cap dollars, and wasted some players that could have gotten something. 3.8 x 2 with a desperate partner for 13 spots is stupid as is loading up on 3 firsts with a brand new scouting department process and baseball guy in the room.

These people are going to have to fumble through years of mistakes. This organization is rudderless from a hockey perspective. If they do get it right, they're going to break it like McD right afterward too because there are no shortcuts and good breaks always balance out. Not feeling good about the top since last fall.

Anyway, I hope they hire a couple senior advisors to keep things on an actual course instead of an interesting and thoughtful journey.

Can we get Rocky to light himself on fire again? that would be interesting.

All that said, I hope Megan Hunter is a good hire.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I do not like this front office. Where is the experienced talent?

Too many rookie hires by a meddling owner's kid.

Screams of making it look interesting and thoughtful as he guts everything, probably on Dad's orders, to rehab the brand.

Doesn't seem like the right direction and the asset management kind of sucks right now. Overplayed his had at the deadline, sat on cap dollars, and wasted some players that could have gotten something. 3.8 x 2 with a desperate partner for 13 spots is stupid as is loading up on 3 firsts with a brand new scouting department process and baseball guy in the room.

These people are going to have to fumble through years of mistakes. This organization is rudderless from a hockey perspective. If they do get it right, they're going to break it like McD right afterward too because there are no shortcuts and good breaks always balance out. Not feeling good about the top since last fall.

Anyway, I hope they hire a couple senior advisors to keep things on an actual course instead of an interesting and thoughtful journey.

Can we get Rocky to light himself on fire again? that would be interesting.

All that said, I hope Megan Hunter is a good hire.

I'd much rather have someone fresh like Davidson who was an assistant GM for years vs some played out and recycled option.

I wish he got more for Cat, but that aside, I'm really happy with what he's done so far by committing to a true rebuild.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I'd much rather have someone fresh like Davidson who was an assistant GM for years vs some played out and recycled option.

I wish he got more for Cat, but that aside, I'm really happy with what he's done so far by committing to a true rebuild.
I don't like new for the sake of new. Chayka was new and interesting. It's one thing if there is a 'hockey yoda' type hanging around but another if it's just a rookie gm and the owner's kid that just go into hockey. Who's the mentor? Big roles to some rookies and inexperienced staff.

All talent has to start somewhere, this isn't Allvin working through the ranks, or Zito, or Kekalainen, who were around other clubs with experienced bosses and owners before taking the reigns on their own...not that any of them have done something particularly special yet either.

I'm glad people are more upbeat about how KD has been managing assets so far.

I see a largely botched deadline (nobody gets credit for Hagel, that was a gimme), no creativity, some panic, and a weak understanding of the values on the market out there so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad