Confirmed with Link: Meghan Hunter has been promoted to Assistant General Manager

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
-He overplayed on DeHaan asking for a 2nd (LA and whoever else was kicking the tires at LD). Pointless message to say "standing firm" in a full tear down.
-Sat on alot of cap$$
-Played a stupid game of chicken with MAF. That delay clogged other possible deals, needless delays.
-Mrazek and 3.8 x 2 to move up 13 slots for a project wasn't good.
-Ended up clogging more contract slots (2 years Katchouk instead of cleaning spots out)
-I don't agree with a rookie lead of the scouting department going nuts with 3 firsts and multiple 2nds in their first go with nothing set until right before the draft. What's the freaking rush on picks after trading Cat?
-Rockford could benefit from help or types of players
-Toronto trade leak
-Letting King stay on the bench

I really wanted to see a more measured approach to the tear down with all the rookies. Felt needlessly and thoughtlessly rushed. No need to cram all the moves for picks (late edit on this sentence). The total sum of the return was not strong.

I don’t think CdH had any real value and was ever being traded. I don’t personally care if we missed out on a 5th round pick if that’s all he was going to return.

Goalies don’t return much so don’t see how you could have expected more than what we got for MAF. No issues with how that was handled and think we got good value for him.

Mrazek deal is basically just money which isn’t mine, so don’t really care there either. He’s a good tank commander who is often injured and I’d be surprised if he played 50 games for us over those two years. The fact any deal involving him took so long to develop tells me Toronto was being stubborn in what they’d package with him.

Who cares about the Toronto trade leak? If anything I’m glad he did it. Screw Toronto and Dubas.

The rush is he’s an new GM who needs to get players with high ceilings on this roster. He can’t sit and wait around if some of these guys are going to take 4-5 years to develop. If the team hasn’t improved by then he might be out before he guys were ever given a shot.

Agree on King. No idea why he’s here I can’t capacity.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The more I think about the Hagel trade the more I think he nailed it.

Hagel fits exactly what KD is trying to build skill wise, fan favorite for being a middle six kind of guy, and sold high at a return Hagel would probably have never fetched at any other point.

It would have been easy to make excuses and keep him around.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Bupkis

The body of work is the body of work. No cherry-picking.
On Bupkis.

No, he overplayed his hand. Pushing for a first with MAF was not smart and cost him time. Multiple teams were looking at LD and he wanted a 2nd. Whether he was gauging the market wrong or just wanted to send a message, he got it wrong.

On the body of work, the body isn't good.

I'm not sure why everybody in the media trusted his comments after the deadline "ah shucks, they just didn't like our guys". Other cities were discussing what Chicago wanted. Our media was way too quick to trust the new guy. Min gave a ridiculously low risk condition for the first after the game of chicken.

Last edited:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He could have chose not to do the deal, there was a choice.
And Tallon could have picked JVR.
...not a real choice.
What gm, in a declared rebuild, passes on 2 firsts+ for a 3rd line/mid 6 type in his mid 20s with a limited ceiling?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Hockeydoug, I’m waiting for the link showing he turned down a 3rd or 4th round pick for deHaan.
I said "overplayed", never said he turned down a specific offer. Several team were opening shopping for a LD.
For example:

What I’m hearing about the Bruins’ pursuit of a Jakob Chychrun trade, plus the latest on Jake DeBrusk and more

The Chicago defenseman is in the last season of a four-year, $18.2 million deal, according to CapFriendly. He would be a rental.

L.A. and Vegas have inquired on de Haan. The Blackhawks are looking for a second-round pick.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I don’t think CdH had any real value and was ever being traded. I don’t personally care if we missed out on a 5th round pick if that’s all he was going to return.

Goalies don’t return much so don’t see how you could have expected more than what we got for MAF. No issues with how that was handled and think we got good value for him.

Mrazek deal is basically just money which isn’t mine, so don’t really care there either. He’s a good tank commander who is often injured and I’d be surprised if he played 50 games for us over those two years. The fact any deal involving him took so long to develop tells me Toronto was being stubborn in what they’d package with him.

Who cares about the Toronto trade leak? If anything I’m glad he did it. Screw Toronto and Dubas.

The rush is he’s an new GM who needs to get players with high ceilings on this roster. He can’t sit and wait around if some of these guys are going to take 4-5 years to develop. If the team hasn’t improved by then he might be out before he guys were ever given a shot.

Agree on King. No idea why he’s here I can’t capacity.
Letting CDH walk for nothing wasn't good. Young prospects needed the toi too. I think KD was asking too much and could have gotten a pick in the top 100 this year or next.

On MAF, he could have had the 2nd days before the deadline. That's what I had the problem with. I agree they're not worth that much. I think this clogged up moving CDH or working out other more complicated trade scenarios.

But Chicago GM Kyle Davidson wouldn’t get off his ask of a first-round pick. On Sunday, Guerin was told that if he didn’t meet Chicago’s price, Fleury would start Sunday night against the Winnipeg Jets.

Guerin wouldn’t relent.

On Monday morning, after sleeping on it, Guerin made a big concession, agreeing to trade a second-round pick with a significant condition. He’d make the second-rounder a first-rounder provided Minnesota reaches the Western Conference final and Fleury wins at least four games through the first two rounds.

If Fleury helps the Wild get within one round of the Stanley Cup Final, Guerin felt, that price was “totally” worth paying. Davidson agreed to the deal, even retaining 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap hit, although a source said he suddenly asked for Kahkonen to be tossed into the trade.

https://theathletic.com/3201518/2022/03/22/inside-the-marc-andre-fleury-trade-how-the-wild-landed-their-goalie-after-a-game-of-chicken-and-a-late-concession/

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
...not a real choice.
What gm, in a declared rebuild, passes on 2 firsts+ for a 3rd line/mid 6 type in his mid 20s with a limited ceiling?
A shitty GM.
He still could have decided to hold on to him, Cat, and Dach, and had them as their new core coming in, as they are all still young. He made a great trade for the franchise, he gets the credit, whether you like it or not.

Reactions: Giovi

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Letting CDH walk for nothing wasn't good. Young prospects needed the toi too. I think KD was asking too much and could have gotten a pick in the top 100 this year or next.

On MAF, he could have had the 2nd days before the deadline. That's what I had the problem with. I agree they're not worth that much. I think this clogged up moving CDH or working out other more complicated trade scenarios.

But Chicago GM Kyle Davidson wouldn’t get off his ask of a first-round pick. On Sunday, Guerin was told that if he didn’t meet Chicago’s price, Fleury would start Sunday night against the Winnipeg Jets.

Guerin wouldn’t relent.

On Monday morning, after sleeping on it, Guerin made a big concession, agreeing to trade a second-round pick with a significant condition. He’d make the second-rounder a first-rounder provided Minnesota reaches the Western Conference final and Fleury wins at least four games through the first two rounds.

If Fleury helps the Wild get within one round of the Stanley Cup Final, Guerin felt, that price was “totally” worth paying. Davidson agreed to the deal, even retaining 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap hit, although a source said he suddenly asked for Kahkonen to be tossed into the trade.

https://theathletic.com/3201518/2022/03/22/inside-the-marc-andre-fleury-trade-how-the-wild-landed-their-goalie-after-a-game-of-chicken-and-a-late-concession/

You’re nuts if you think CdH had any value at all. He’d been awful and broken for years.

Not a single young defenseman missed out on TOI. The majority were a disappointment and proved to need time in Rockford.

A second was fair for MAF. Genuinely asking. Who was the last goalie at the TDL to get a more than a second? I can’t think of one.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
...not a real choice.
How did he get that trade call? Tampa called out of the blue?

The CDH thing is much like the Strome thing, they could of gotten 6th round draft picks probably is all. The notion you are better off just getting "ANYTHING" when it's so insignificant is a bad notion. You set terrible precedents for demands in the future. It seems you think the Cat value was okay, but that value would be harder to even get if his M.O. was I will trade anyone for anything which is what you wanted him to do with CDH.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You’re nuts if you think CdH had any value at all. He’d been awful and broken for years.

Not a single young defenseman missed out on TOI. The majority were a disappointment and proved to need time in Rockford.

A second was fair for MAF. Genuinely asking. Who was the last goalie at the TDL to get a more than a second? I can’t think of one.
To add, MAF had a NMC. He possibly could have got more if MAF didn't have a say where he went. Imagine using that against KD.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

I'm not saying CDH is good. I never thought he was getting a pick in the top 50.

I think declining DeHaan was better defensively than half the 2nd pair LD and almost all of the 3rd pair LD of the playoff teams.

A 2nd for MAF was fine. The return wasn't my gripe.

He could have had the 2nd days earlier but he was holding out for a first and missed out on spending remaining cap bucks and using other marginal assets to get additional assets or to just improve Rockford...or do anything to get the transition started.

Teams were looking to dump big bad contracts and get some other peripheral pieces, but KD was wasting too much time not knowing what he could do because he was playing chicken with MAF instead of taking a fair deal and moving on.

He's giving away way too much for what's coming back in total in my opinion. I think it's happening because there are too many rookies in big roles. It's not a trainwreck, but it's weak and I think any marginally competent gm could do at least the same and most likely little better overall.

Danny wants rookies and legacy hires. I'm not optimistic about the front office.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
A shitty GM.
He still could have decided to hold on to him, Cat, and Dach, and had them as their new core coming in, as they are all still young. He made a great trade for the franchise, he gets the credit, whether you like it or not.
Yes, a shitty gm who gets the credit for Kane whether we like it or not. That's exactly the kind of "great" move comparison I'm suggesting.

Still early on KD, so I hope I'm wrong.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yes, a shitty gm who gets the credit for Kane whether we like it or not. That's exactly the kind of "great" move comparison I'm suggesting.

Still early on KD, so I hope I'm wrong.
Drafting Kane, the clear #1 overall player by a long shot, and trading a young Top 6 player for 2 late 1st round picks isn't a good comparison at all.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
How did he get that trade call? Tampa called out of the blue?

The CDH thing is much like the Strome thing, they could of gotten 6th round draft picks probably is all. The notion you are better off just getting "ANYTHING" when it's so insignificant is a bad notion. You set terrible precedents for demands in the future. It seems you think the Cat value was okay, but that value would be harder to even get if his M.O. was I will trade anyone for anything which is what you wanted him to do with CDH.
He put a fire sale sign on the lawn. Not really a process or managerial acumen. TB had made a similar unconventional trade before.

I'm not worried about a single pick or a 4th and a 6th. It's not about optimizing the return, it's why he was so far from that even being a possibility.

The MAF decision process was a joke.
The CDH ask was a joke and he did have some demand.
The Mrazek trade for 13 spots was a joke
Sitting on deadline cap$$ was a joke
3 firsts with a new staff is a big needless gamble.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
He put a fire sale sign on the lawn. Not really a process or managerial acumen. TB had made a similar unconventional trade before.

I'm not worried about a single pick or a 4th and a 6th. It's not about optimizing the return, it's why he was so far from that even being a possibility.

The MAF decision process was a joke.
The CDH ask was a joke and he did have some demand.
The Mrazek trade for 13 spots was a joke
Sitting on deadline cap$$ was a joke
3 firsts with a new staff is a big needless gamble.
It may be a long season for you, Douglas.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm not saying CDH is good. I never thought he was getting a pick in the top 50.

I think declining DeHaan was better defensively than half the 2nd pair LD and almost all of the 3rd pair LD of the playoff teams.

A 2nd for MAF was fine. The return wasn't my gripe.

He could have had the 2nd days earlier but he was holding out for a first and missed out on spending remaining cap bucks and using other marginal assets to get additional assets or to just improve Rockford...or do anything to get the transition started.

Teams were looking to dump big bad contracts and get some other peripheral pieces, but KD was wasting too much time not knowing what he could do because he was playing chicken with MAF instead of taking a fair deal and moving on.

He's giving away way too much for what's coming back in total in my opinion. I think it's happening because there are too many rookies in big roles. It's not a trainwreck, but it's weak and I think any marginally competent gm could do at least the same and most likely little better overall.

Danny wants rookies and legacy hires. I'm not optimistic about the front office.

I think you’re being overly critical. None of us here know what was going on behind the expense with Minnesota and others to know when the best time to pull the trigger on that deal was.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Drafting Kane, the clear #1 overall player by a long shot, and trading a young Top 6 player for 2 late 1st round picks isn't a good comparison at all.
Which gm passes up 2 firsts+ for a limited ceiling mid 20s wing at the start of a full tear down?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Which gm passes up 2 firsts+ for a limited ceiling mid 20s wing at the start of a full tear down?
Like, historically every GM in the league. You have standards that bounce from time to time.

If you're not mad he didn't get extra 4th round pick, why are you mad he didn't trade DeHaan for said 4th round pick? Or Strome for the alleged 6th. There's no value to just saying I will trade every assets for the lowest over available.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
But where does Meghan Hunter fit into all of this?
Hiring yet another person to a brand new role will not minimize the likelihood of compounding poor decisions moving forward.

Like, historically every GM in the league. You have standards that bounce from time to time.

If you're not mad he didn't get extra 4th round pick, why are you mad he didn't trade DeHaan for said 4th round pick? Or Strome for the alleged 6th. There's no value to just saying I will trade every assets for the lowest over available.
Nuance

I am frustrated a 4th for CDH didnt' come back, but that's a small drop in the bucket.

It's why the 4th didn't come back that bugs the crap out of me. He didn't have a clue on the market.

-OR (late edit) he was trying to send a really pointless message to his team and/or the league.

I think you’re being overly critical. None of us here know what was going on behind the expense with Minnesota and others to know when the best time to pull the trigger on that deal was.
I thought the Minnesota story covered pretty well what happened.

If it was ownership meddling by Chicago that would have changed the narrative of the MAF trade, well nothing I say about KD matters anyway.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Hiring yet another person to a brand new role will not minimize the likelihood of compounding poor decisions moving forward.

Nuance

I am frustrated a 4th for CDH didnt' come back, but that's a small drop in the bucket.

It's why the 4th didn't come back that bugs the crap out of me. He didn't have a clue on the market.
He clearly stated, and it's a clear obvious reason why he didn't trade guys like that for low value. You don't just start saying I will accept any offer and trade guys for low value.

Do you want the GM of the blackhawks to sent the precedent any low value is better than no value?

I guess by your edit you think that's a pointless message... which is odd. also odd you think his cat value wasn't too low when that is something universally seen as so.

Reactions: Giovi and BK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad