Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
I really think IMG has absolutely nothing to argue here. The guidelines were very clear in the old CBA. The old CBA no longer exists, so I see why they are in limbo, they just need a new CBA to detemine it. If the old CBA signing deadline was September 13, then they have something to argue.
Just passing along what they said ..

They said that the CBA is very specific and date driven and written as such as to player rights its says June 1 two years after you draft year .

He said the NHL Owners screwed up as their is nothing in the current CBA that suggests that a work stoppage strike or lockout can stop June 1 from happening ..

He also said its about timing.. Currently we have no and no idea when one will occur, however they could file as early as next week in the courts ..

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Thats my point the top 1st rounders like Crosby and Ovechkin should get similar consideration to the NFL deal and problem solved ..

Maybe they should but we've seen with the owners once you start the slippery slope it's never ending. This is foul proof system something they need. And those guys will gewt what they deserve after their rookie deal, if they are worth it. I's rather see Crosby get a little less now and more in the future than what Diagle got.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boltsfan2029 said:
Based on the fact that if it's 80+ degrees outside the building, it will take more power to cool the inside of the building. If there are "extra" fans in attendance per your scenario, it will take even more power.

If it's snowing outside the building, it will take less power to cool the inside of the building than it would if it was 80+ degrees outside.

Pretty basic stuff, I guess I didn't make it clear. Sorry.
Right but what does that have to do with increasing ticket price a buck at the beginning of the season ..

You almost make it sound that its a bad thing more fans show up or that a TV crew use more power because that costs money ..

Not sure we are still taking about the same thing .. You are giving me a weather report ..That will happen even is you have 1 fan in the building or 1000 .. and I am saying that those things are budgeted for a the beginning of the season and based likely on a 5 year average and covered in the 54% (all we can pay the players).

I am trying to say the going for $2.1 billion to $3.1 bil in total revenue (the increase) of $1 billion at 54% is not offset equally by fans in shorts showing up and it costing 1% extra to cool the building a little because a few extra fans brought a guest ..

The NFL hard Cap and linkage rate is higher because the Total league revenue is higher so the NFL owners can afford to pay more once their core non-player costs are covered ..

If the NFL can pay the players say 58% of $3 bil (made up numbers)

Why can the NHL only pay the players 54% if $3 bil in revenue increased ?

What if the Stanley Cup was played in ICY Toronto verses Chilly Calgary next year and total league revenue inceased, without expecting heating the building to play a part.? :D

Last edited:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Boltsfan2029 said:
Based on the fact that if it's 80+ degrees outside the building, it will take more power to cool the inside of the building. If there are "extra" fans in attendance per your scenario, it will take even more power.

If it's snowing outside the building, it will take less power to cool the inside of the building than it would if it was 80+ degrees outside.

Pretty basic stuff, I guess I didn't make it clear. Sorry.

yea but overall, revenues rise a lot faster and fall a lot faster than "other costs" do. You say that maybe higher attendance uses more electricity, maybe it's true, but there are plenty of other ways that revenues can go up or down and "other costs" stay the same. A TV deal or simply an increase in ticket prices than doesn't change attendance are two big ways.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:

They said that the CBA is very specific and date driven and written as such as to player rights its says June 1 two years after you draft year .

He said the NHL Owners screwed up as their is nothing in the current CBA that suggests that a work stoppage strike or lockout can stop June 1 from happening ..

He also said its about timing.. Currently we have no and no idea when one will occur, however they could file as early as next week in the courts ..

I think he needs to crawl back into his hole and not waste his time or money.

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
I am trying to say the going for 2.1 billion to 3.1 bil in total revenue (the increase) of 1 billion at 54% is not offset equally by fans in shorts showing up and it costing 1% extra to cool the building a little because a few extra fans brought a guest ..

Now you're talking out your arse. How the hell is the NHL going to go from $2.1 billion to $3.1 billion in revenues? Do you THINK about this stuff before you actually post it, or do you just throw your feces at the wall and then post what ever doesn't stick? The NHL saw revenues increase substantially because since 1992 the NHL expanded its team base by almost 50%. Do you think that has anything to do with revenues doubling? Also, during that time the NHL had the most lucractive TV contract in league history. That's going bye-bye and nothing on the horizon to fill that in. Fan apathy is going to be at an all time high and many teams will be lucky to hit the revenues they had prior to the lockout. Advertisers are long gone and it will take time to build those back up. The league will be lucky to hit the $1.5 billion mark in revenues for the next few years, let alone comig near what they did the last year the league was in business. But you're talking about another 50% increase in revenues like its a sure thing. What a dreamer. Get a foot in reality so your arguments start making some sense.

:shakehead

GSC2k2*

The Messenger said:

I listened to that very same interview. Your last sentence I did not hear him say. He said they were meeting to "evaluate the next steps" and "receive advice from our counsel as to those steps".

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The Messenger said:
What if the Stanley Cup was played in ICY Toronto verses Chilly Calgary next year and total league revenue inceased, without expecting heating the building to play a part.? :D

Calgary is mostly warm in the spring.

Did you not see footage of the "red-mile" last year? those girls looked far from Chilly! :D

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
500k isn't bad. Its still a lot of money.
Baseball prospects get nil for a number of years and then when they prove themselves they get a better salary. Its fair.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
19nazzy said:
500k isn't bad. Its still a lot of money.
Baseball prospects get nil for a number of years and then when they prove themselves they get a better salary. Its fair.
First rounders in baseball don't get "nil" They get quite a bit and many don't ever make it to the Show. I don't think baseball is a good comparison for this. :dunno:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Are they still meeting?
I can't anything about today's meeting on any site ecxept HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED's site.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Dan Galvin said:
First rounders in baseball don't get "nil" They get quite a bit and many don't ever make it to the Show. I don't think baseball is a good comparison for this. :dunno:
I wasn't talking about first rounders.
500k for your average prospect is fair enough. Depending on the bonuses for your stud prospects, it could be fair.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
Zack Attack said:
When did they start meeting today?

Met Thurs, 10:30 am. to 8:30 p.m.
Will resume meetings Friday.
League put out release just before 9:30 p.m., saying that there is nothing to say, everyone will meet Friday, and then (maybe) they'll choose to give an update.
Now give it your best Daffy Duck, ``That's all folks!''

'Night, kpd/hoh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad