Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

creative giant*

go kim johnsson said:
friday meeting :handclap:

remember the rules now.

Is this when I'm supposed to say shutout?

Or that there's gonna be a CBA soon? :propeller

King_Brown

The NHLPA should just accept the Feb proposal now, and get this crap over with. Stupid Goodenow he should be fired after all is set and done.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
JWI19 said:
Very good news.

Good that they are meeting, but no matter what the hype here, it is ALL very fragile, because labor leadership is a 50-50 bet to throw a brick through the window any moment--even after an agreement in principle. That's neither pro-owner nor anti-player. It's simply an honest assessment of how things have gone, and how wounded/emotional they are on the labor side.

kpd/hoh

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
I really think IMG has absolutely nothing to argue here. The guidelines were very clear in the old CBA. The old CBA no longer exists, so I see why they are in limbo, they just need a new CBA to detemine it. If the old CBA signing deadline was September 13, then they have something to argue.
Check out Bobby Clarke's position on this ..

He doesn't stand behind the CBA .. He says that he is offering the max that the CBA will allow ..

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Bob Clarke called it "a potential nightmare for a lot of clubs."

Agent Mark Guy said it could be "a real logjam" and "probably won't look like anything that has happened before."

Two of the most prominent names among the unsigned 2003 draftees are unlikely to reenter: forwards Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

Both players were selected by the Flyers in the first round, Carter was picked 11th, Richards 24th. Both players are two-time members of Canada's world junior team. In Grand Forks, N.D., in January, Carter made the tournament's first all-star team and Richards captained the squad to the gold medal.

After their junior teams were eliminated in the Ontario Hockey League playoffs last month, Carter and Richards signed American Hockey League contracts and joined the Philadelphia Phantoms, the Flyers' affiliate. The Phantoms advanced to the conference finals with Carter as their leading postseason scorer. The consensus among scouts is that Carter and Richards both could have stepped into the NHL if arenas hadn't gone dark last fall.

Clarke says there's no way he'll allow his organization's two best prospects to fall back into the draft.

"They're both high priorities for us," Clarke said. "I think that they want to play for us and we definitely want them. They're going to get the cap – whatever the next [collective agreement] allows for – and there won't be that many details to iron out."

But Clarke says things will not be so clear-cut for other organizations and their 2003 draftees.

"Whenever we [get] back to business, every GM is going to have a lot of paper on his desk and a lot of contracts to do – veterans and juniors," he says. "How many of [the 2003 draftees] can get signed really depends on how much time the teams have and how much the GMs have to work with.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2062921&num=2

Last edited:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
Good that they are meeting, but no matter what the hype here, it is ALL very fragile, because labor leadership is a 50-50 bet to throw a brick through the window any moment--even after an agreement in principle. That's neither pro-owner nor anti-player. It's simply an honest assessment of how things have gone, and how wounded/emotional they are on the labor side.

kpd/hoh

Well thats why i wont believe there is a deal until i see a press conference and read the CBA online myself.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I personally think that Carter and Richards would be the exception, first of all because they're not IMG clients. I thought I read somewhere that they would both sign with the Flyers regardless anyways but I could be wrong.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$500,000 entry level seems low.Helene Elliott reported it is $850,000 but the way she wrote it is confusing

entry-level contracts would be for four years instead of three and would carry a maximum signing bonus of $400,000 and cap bonus money at $850,000 per year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

On December 14,the NHL accepted the NHLPA's proposed maximum annual salary plus signing bonus of $850,000 with the proviso of an additional mandatory year

http://nhlcbanews.com/news/comparison.html

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
The Messenger said:
Check out Bobby Clarke's position on this ..

He doesn't stand behind the CBA

It doesn't say that at all. All he's talking about is the 2003 situation, and that Carter and Richards will be given as much as possible. And teams will have to make decisions regarding the balancing of veteran and rookie salaries.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
JWI19 said:
Well thats why i wont believe there is a deal until i see a press conference and read the CBA online myself.

You, sir, are correct. It ain't over until there is a SIGNED CBA. Much like buying a house. NO sale until papers are passed.
The brick-thru-the-window here very well could be the issue of the '04-'05 deals (be they kept in full, discounted, or wiped off the books entirely). And that's just one potential brick.

kpd/hoh

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
You, sir, are correct. It ain't over until there is a SIGNED CBA. Much like buying a house. NO sale until papers are passed.
The brick-thru-the-window here very well could be the issue of the '04-'05 deals (be they kept in full, discounted, or wiped off the books entirely). And that's just one potential brick.

kpd/hoh

So am i safe to assume the rumors were heard earlier are somewhat true. 24% rollback comes into play if they count the 2004-2005 contracts and if they NHL wont honor those contracr no roll backs will included? Or is there more on the table?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
hubofhockey said:

kpd/hoh

If this thing falls apart again.These guys should go get a real job.My friend is a recruiter at Kelly Services.She has some date entry openings for $10 per hour if any NHLers want to make some money

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JWI19 said:
So am i safe to assume the rumors were heard earlier are somewhat true. 24% rollback comes into play if they count the 2004-2005 contracts and if they NHL wont honor those contracr no roll backs will included? Or is there more on the table?
I think the good news we can take from this is that the leaks to the public are coming out with some accuracy attached to their merits to the actual meeting .. This is not just to sell papers ..IMO

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
JWI19 said:

The scenario you give here is the conventional wisdom--and, by and large, GMs/OWNERS are counting on '04-'05 deals being dead and gone. So, 24 percent would be nearly pointless, and at the very least, highly unnecessary, with so few players holding deals for '05--06 and beyond. The reason for the drop, remember, essentially was to get down to a tolerable payroll number.
But I will just underscore here, emphatically, that conventional wisdom fell out of the eqauation when the whole thing crashed and burned in Feb. (the deal they are circling now only emphasises how foolish it was not to get the deal done then).
So, by my eye, a deal that proceeds without conventional wisdom is a deal that can blow up--just like the season gone by--at ANY SECOND.

KPD/HOH

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The Messenger said:
I think the good news we can take from this is that the leaks to the public are coming out with some accuracy attached to their merits to the actual meeting .. This is not just to sell papers ..IMO

i haven't seen anyone involved with the negotiations has confirmed anything that has been written in the papers, have i just missed an article?

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hubofhockey said:
The scenario you give here is the conventional wisdom--and, by and large, GMs/OWNERS are counting on '04-'05 deals being dead and gone. So, 24 percent would be nearly pointless, and at the very least, highly unnecessary, with so few players holding deals for '05--06 and beyond. The reason for the drop, remember, essentially was to get down to a tolerable payroll number.
But I will just underscore here, emphatically, that conventional wisdom fell out of the eqauation when the whole thing crashed and burned in Feb. (the deal they are circling now only emphasises how foolish it was not to get the deal done then).
So, by my eye, a deal that proceeds without conventional wisdom is a deal that can blow up--just like the season gone by--at ANY SECOND.

KPD/HOH

Thanks for the response. Common sense hasn't played a role in this whole mess yet so why should it start now right?

I do hope those 2004-2005 salaries are whiped out. The Wings will be in deep crap if they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad