Meeting Day Thread 6/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Will the players accept a deal their union reps and agents are saying isnt in their best interest? Will they give up the fight? I wonder. Im sure they'd love to just play.

I seem to be hearing two different versions. One is saying everything is done, and the others are saying there are a lot of small issues to still be decided. Last time, Bettman said he got rooked on these, which is why there would be no deal until all the small issues are worked out. Im sure he'd love to turn the tables this time.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
The Messenger said:
Beyak also confirmed that he thought that Goodenow was going to play the 24% rollback card to extend contracts a year ..
I think Beyak also said that he didn't see it happening.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The $500K rookie cap still doesn't make any sense to me considering $850K plus $250K in bonuses was offered by the league (unless I messed up on that somewhere). The only way I see there being that low of a rookie cap is if the 'PA accepted it for something else, maybe qualifying offers. No reason for it to plummet like that.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
norrisnick said:
The $500K rookie cap still doesn't make any sense to me considering $850K plus $250K in bonuses was offered by the league (unless I messed up on that somewhere). The only way I see there being that low of a rookie cap is if the 'PA accepted it for something else, maybe qualifying offers. No reason for it to plummet like that.

Well it does if the owners gave the players something they like lower free agency, etc. In every pro leauge it's always the young players or incoming rookies who get thrown under the bus. No one should be shocked by it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
norrisnick said:
Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and the other 2003 unsigned players are going to be jumping for joy on that one ..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JWI19 said:
Well it does if the owners gave the players something they like lower free agency, etc. In every pro leauge it's always the young players or incoming rookies who get thrown under the bus. No one should be shocked by it.
That doesn't happen in the NFL and its draft .. You get paid where you are drafted and very nicely I might add ..

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
Jeff Carter and Mike Richards and the other 2003 unsigned players are going to be jumping for joy on that one ..

There has to be a clause for incentives.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
JWI19 said:
I guess there just hasn't been anything painfully obvious surfacing out of these rumors as the other side of that bargaining chip. :dunno:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
mr gib said:
they want those loopholes closed though - don't they?

Just because they allow incentives doesn't mean it's a loophole.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
go kim johnsson said:
Just because they allow incentives doesn't mean it's a loophole.
Very true. They could cap it so a rookie could manage to earn $1.5M or something like that rather than the $3M+ that was possible under the old CBA.

Reasonable incentives are not loopholes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
go kim johnsson said:
There has to be a clause for incentives.
Beyak said 500k base .. 250k ALL bonuses signing and performance ..

That will make Phaneufs verses Carter's deal MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIONS difference ..

This almost guarantees these 2003 picks will fight the court IMO..

BTW .. JP BARRY player agent of IMG was on the Fan 590 today and talked about the the 2003 players taking this to court in the next few weeks and are weighing all their options at the moment .. IMG feels they have case according to Jim Quinn the anti-trust laywer they hired .. They have a meeting this afternoon in fact to discuss this. .

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
Doesn't speak too well of my powers of perception. Maybe there will be a new CBA by day's end.

:biglaugh:

p.s. that's just a joke. Can see it now...McKenzie says new CBA by day's end. Boy, will I be glad when this is all over.

Congrats on your 100th post Bob! Think about it: 1000 post club. You're almost there!

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
The Messenger said:
Your way off topic ..

Heat,light,power does not change in conjunction to more fans in the building if they paid a dollar extra per ticket .. You print you tickets once a year and it doesn't cost more to print $25 or $26 on it ??

Perhaps I misread your post (although it still sounds the same to me :) ).

As for the cost of heat/light/power (all "power" to me, I don't think anything in our building runs on anything other than electricity, but I suppose there could be gas in there somewhere), that depends on the number of extra bodies, I imagine. I've been there nights that it has been noticeably warmer due to higher attendance & they've really had to crank the A/C harder and longer. I can't even conceive of the "regular" bill, much less how much extra it costs when you have to overload the equipment like that.

Keep in mind the geographical situation means this scenario will be different for different teams. It might not require nearly the extra power in Calgary to cool the arena on an October evening, but in Tampa we may still be wearing shorts to the games, it would take significantly more power to keep our building cooler.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Messenger said:
That doesn't happen in the NFL and its draft .. You get paid where you are drafted and very nicely I might add ..

but the NFL tells you what the rookie cap is. So as a rookie you know the team has x amount of dollars for X amount of rookies. And it pays well if your a 1st rounder.

Look at the NBA, the only players who dont have guaranteed contracts are rookies drafted in the 2nd round or rookie free agents.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boltsfan2029 said:
Keep in mind the geographical situation means this scenario will be different for different teams. It might not require nearly the extra power in Calgary to cool the arena on an October evening, but in Tampa we may still be wearing shorts to the games, it would take significantly more power to keep our building cooler.
Based on a new TV contract or increased ticket prices or more fans in shorts showing up for the game ??

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Messenger said:
BTW .. JP BARRY player agent of IMG was on the Fan 590 today and talked about the the 2003 players taking this to court in the next few weeks and are weighing all their options at the moment .. IMG feels they have case according to Jim Quinn the anti-trust laywer they hired .. They have a meeting this afternoon in fact to discuss this. .

I really think IMG has absolutely nothing to argue here. The guidelines were very clear in the old CBA. The old CBA no longer exists, so I see why they are in limbo, they just need a new CBA to detemine it. If the old CBA signing deadline was September 13, then they have something to argue.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JWI19 said:
but the NFL tells you what the rookie cap is. So as a rookie you know the team has x amount of dollars for X amount of rookies. And it pays well if your a 1st rounder.

Look at the NBA, the only players who dont have guaranteed contracts are rookies drafted in the 2nd round or rookie free agents.
Thats my point the top 1st rounders like Crosby and Ovechkin should get similar consideration to the NFL deal and problem solved ..

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
The Messenger said:
Based on a new TV contract or increased ticket prices or more fans in shorts showing up for the game ??

Based on the fact that if it's 80+ degrees outside the building, it will take more power to cool the inside of the building. If there are "extra" fans in attendance per your scenario, it will take even more power.

If it's snowing outside the building, it will take less power to cool the inside of the building than it would if it was 80+ degrees outside.

Pretty basic stuff, I guess I didn't make it clear. Sorry.

Lanny MacDonald*

The Messenger said:
Beyak said 500k base .. 250k ALL bonuses signing and performance ..

That will make Phaneufs verses Carter's deal MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLIONS difference ..

This almost guarantees these 2003 picks will fight the court IMO..

And you don't think that Carter's agent saw the likelihood of rookies getting thrown under the bus? If Carter wanted the guaranteed cash he should have signed while the old CBA was in effect, like Phaneuf did. Not only did the Flyers roll the dice, but the agent did for his client as well. It will be refreshing to see both lose IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad