WJC: medal predictions and tournament best players

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The US was simply better that game when it mattered. In the first half they out shot us, outplayed us, and outscored us and only then when Canada was down 2-0 did they decide to show up but by then it was too late. Spencer Knight was a brick wall in that game. It happens unfortunately.

Hockey Canada's overreaction to that loss has made them go apeshit this year and not in a good way. We have a bigger chance of not medalling this year at all.
There are some puzzling camp picks for sure, but keep in mind that those guys have NOT made the final roster. Canada can still pick an awfully good team and I still have them as favourites, followed closely by Russia.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Yaroslav Askarov is going to be unreal. Won't be surprised if he can shut out some of the top countries.

Reactions: Czechboy

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
The US was simply better that game when it mattered. In the first half they out shot us, outplayed us, and outscored us and only then when Canada was down 2-0 did they decide to show up but by then it was too late. Spencer Knight was a brick wall in that game. It happens unfortunately.

Hockey Canada's overreaction to that loss has made them go apeshit this year and not in a good way. We have a bigger chance of not medalling this year at all.

That's bullshit because last year doesn't matter anymore.
Canada will be gold medal game Shane Wright is a special player who makes difference.
And he will turn games for Canada's win by himself If needed.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Gold-Canada
Silver-Russia
Bronze-US

D-Power, Sanderson
F-Wright, Perfetti, McTavish
G-Askarov

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
quick scan of replies and I don't think Finns and swedes are getting enough love!

Reactions: AB13

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Let’s see some sleeper picks for best players

he shouldn't be a sleeper but I don't think Niemela is getting enough buzz. He already won best defenseman last year at the World Juniors when he was barely playing in the Liiga, now this year he's got 22 points in 26 games, tied for 5th in scoring overall and the leading defenseman.

I like Ryan O'Rourke as a sleeper on Canada. They basically have no RHD but he can play the right side well and I think he has a shot to be Powers partner which would mean a ton of ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
At his first WJC McDavid was one month younger, than Michkov will be and 6 months older, than Berdard (if the latter makes the team, of course). If any of them or both outscore McJesus again, will it mean anything?

I think, there is a good chance Michkov will score more, than 4 points.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
At his first WJC McDavid was one month younger, than Michkov will be and 6 months older, than Berdard (if the latter makes the team, of course). If any of them or both outscore McJesus again, will it mean anything?

I think, there is a good chance Michkov will score more, than 4 points.
For the record, McDavid actually scored 6 points in the three pre-tournament games, but got benched when he fired the puck into the opposition net long after the whistle. Who knows what kind of numbers he could’ve put up if he hadn’t lost the coach’s trust? The four points he ended up with is a bit of a red herring if you were looking for an indication where his level was actually at.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
All roads lead to Michkov these days it seems, at least with a certain fan base.

They are determined to make this kid a legend even before he is one. He's got some very large claims to back up in the coming years. From what I have been seeing nothing less then the best player who has ever played the game is going to meet the expectations of what they are saying about him.

That will be quite the order.

Reactions: Dominance

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
All roads lead to Michkov these days it seems, at least with a certain fan base.

They are determined to make this kid a legend even before he is one. He's got some very large claims to back up in the coming years. From what I have been seeing nothing less then the best player who has ever played the game is going to meet the expectations of what they are saying about him.

He for sure looks better, than Kucherov did at his age, and Kucherov isn't that bad player, I'd say...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He for sure looks better, than Kucherov did at his age, and Kucherov isn't that bad player, I'd say...
And yet he still might not turn out to be as good a player as Kucherov. Sure the pedigree he is showing is great but he is 16 after all. Does he deserve praise for the play he is showing so far? of course, but that doesn't guarantee the type of career he is going to have and it might be a bit early to insinuate he is definitely going to be as good or better then some of the proven best players right now, even more so with one or 2 who are going to go down as all time greats in Ovechkin and Mcdavid.

Bit early in the game to be making those bids I'd say.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
And yet he still might not turn out to be as good a player as Kucherov. Sure the pedigree he is showing is great but he is 16 after all. Does he deserve praise for the play he is showing so far? of course, but that doesn't guarantee the type of career he is going to have and it might be a bit early to insinuate he is definitely going to be as good or better then some of the proven best players right now, even more so with one or 2 who are going to go down as all time greats in Ovechkin and Mcdavid.

Bit early in the game to be making those bids I'd say.

Canadians for sure didn't follow your wise, when it came to Crosby and McDavid...

Reactions: Cowumbus

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canadians for sure didn't follow your advice, when it came to Crosby and McDavid...
I wasn't talking about them but since you mentioned it yeah, they didn't.

Of course, that does not take away a thing of what I said. For all we think we know about players at 16 Crosby or Mcdavid could have just as easily have turned into the next Jason Spezza and Michkov could turn into the next Sergei Samsonov.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I haven't really paid attention to the Michkov discussion but sounds like how a few of the Finns were with Laine

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I haven't really paid attention to the Michkov discussion but sounds like how a few of the Finns were with Laine
Great example, and we know how that has gone so far. Hfboards......where 16 year old kids are regularly made slam dunk hall of famers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad