WJC: medal predictions and tournament best players

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
A few interesting facts. Canada has the same head coach who lost that 2011 final to Bragin. Team Russia has a new head coach, as it was in 2011. That Russian team had a few future NHL superstars, and I'm pretty sure this Team Russia has them too.

Reactions: Lollipop

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We can really draw a lot from those facts 10 years later with completely different teams. What's up next, the astrology forecast for both teams?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'll be so irate if we get anything less than gold. So many quality players that deserve to be on Canada weren't even given a shot. If we win gold, fine, I'm satisfied. Anything less and there better be heads rolling at Hockey Canada.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I'll be so irate if we get anything less than gold. So many quality players that deserve to be on Canada weren't even given a shot. If we win gold, fine, I'm satisfied. Anything less and there better be heads rolling at Hockey Canada.
I’ve said this before but they’ve forgotten the Tim Hunter Vancouver 2019 debacle very quickly and have repeated a lot of the same mistakes in roster construction again. Fortunately the talent pool is much deeper this time, but with another dinosaur coach and plenty of match winners left at home I hope they can manage to win

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
I’ve said this before but they’ve forgotten the Tim Hunter Vancouver 2019 debacle very quickly and have repeated a lot of the same mistakes in roster construction again. Fortunately the talent pool is much deeper this time, but with another dinosaur coach and plenty of match winners left at home I hope they can manage to win
I have a weird feeling it's going to be one of those years. History also tells us that the first year with generational talent at 16 years old will not end will (Crosby 04' & McDavid 14') but will produce an all-time great team the following year (see 05' and 15' rosters).

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Going to predict that Bedard ends up playing a key top 6 role for Canada and produces one of the greatest performances we've ever seen from a 16 year old. Not saying Canada will win, but we aren't going to see him only played in limited roles like the previous 16 year old have been.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Going to predict that Bedard ends up playing a key top 6 role for Canada and produces one of the greatest performances we've ever seen from a 16 year old. Not saying Canada will win, but we aren't going to see him only played in limited roles like the previous 16 year old have been.

So, a Gretzky like performance then! gotcha! because he was the only 16 year old to have a dominant showing at the U20 tournament.

Who was Team Canada's opening boxing day opponent in '78? I'm too young to remember, but I think it was Czechoslovakia. Didn't the Great One get a hattrick that game?

Who is Team Canada' opening boxing day opponent this year? Not quite Czechoslovakia, but the Czech Rep. will fill in nicely for the ghost of hockey teams past.

If Connor wants to shed a few tears in the dressing-room about being away from family for the first time at Christmas, just like Wayne did in '78, then that would be cool too.

Reactions: novisor and jj cale

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It seems most of the big countries have some ommissions. Clarke, Bordeleau, Wallinder, and Chayka (among others obviously). That said, I like Canada's odds based on these rosters. My new predictions:
Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Russia

Best lineup:
Michkov-Perfetti-Holtz
Power-Sanderson
Wallstedt

Reactions: hn777

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Who is Team Canada' opening boxing day opponent this year? Not quite Czechoslovakia, but the Czech Rep. will fill in nicely for the ghost of hockey teams past.
I'm expecting a similar score to be honest.. That one was 9-3. Our Offence is much worse so I don't expect 3 goals (no Anton Stastny on this team - although, he was Slovak and Slafkovsky could fill those shoes one day). Our D is good. So let's call it 6-0.lol Also, was their Covid in Quebec in the 70's? Empty stands

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I'm expecting a similar score to be honest.. That one was 9-3. Our Offence is much worse so I don't expect 3 goals (no Anton Stastny on this team - although, he was Slovak and Slafkovsky could fill those shoes one day). Our D is good. So let's call it 6-0.lol Also, was their Covid in Quebec in the 70's? Empty stands

Wtf was that Gretzky goal at 43 seconds. Our defender just kept skating with his man and had his back completely turned away from Gretzky lol

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

No TSN back then. I have no recollection of this tournament until 1985. not that a watched a game. It was in Helsinki I just remember the Wendel Clark goals and hits. The first tournament I watched was in '86. Hamilton hosted. but this tournament really started to gain traction after the '87 dustup with the Russians and then TSN taking over in the late 80s early '90s.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I remember watching that tournament and Waynes exploits, my cousin kept saying Gretzky was a puck hog. Of course, he's a Bruins fan and those guys are always annoying.

Reactions: Czechboy

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I remember watching that tournament and Waynes exploits, my cousin kept saying Gretzky was a puck hog. Of course, he's a Bruins fan and those guys are always annoying.
Watching those older games on replay, seems like a lot less dump and chase than todays game. Very little “hitting the red line and getting the puck deep.” Is this true?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Very true.

And may I also add this? the game was BETTER. The players today are better, but the game isn't.
I will add here.. every so often I rewarch Nagano against Canada. No offence but it was big for my people.lol

Anyways, the amount of holding and hoocking in 1998 was amazing.. you couldn't skate an inch without a guy jet skiing you. And these were the best players in the world (Canada) along with a handful of very good Czechs. It was just normal for both sides to hook and grab.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I will add here.. every so often I rewarch Nagano against Canada. No offence but it was big for my people.lol

Anyways, the amount of holding and hoocking in 1998 was amazing.. you couldn't skate an inch without a guy jet skiing you. And these were the best players in the world (Canada) along with a handful of very good Czechs. It was just normal for both sides to hook and grab.
No offense taken, that Czech team played their hearts out that tournament and deserved to win gold. Yeah, hockey sure has changed a lot since my youth, in some ways for the better but overall not for the better IMO. Not just with hooking and holding but defensive systems in general,it's so coached now that the joy of just reckless abandon and freedom has been taken out of the play.

Reactions: novisor

TheGreekShot

Nov 28, 2019
Gold: Canada
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: Finland

Player of Tournament: Shane Wright
Best Forward: Shane Wright
Best Defenseman: Topi Niemela
Best Goalie: Yaroslav Askarov

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sasha Pastujov will be the biggest surprise. As will Zellweger who will make people realize why he was picked over Clarke. I love the Ducks draft this past one.

Last edited:

Rick Nash CleanShave

Jun 10, 2013
he shouldn't be a sleeper but I don't think Niemela is getting enough buzz. He already won best defenseman last year at the World Juniors when he was barely playing in the Liiga, now this year he's got 22 points in 26 games, tied for 5th in scoring overall and the leading defenseman.

I like Ryan O'Rourke as a sleeper on Canada. They basically have no RHD but he can play the right side well and I think he has a shot to be Powers partner which would mean a ton of ice time.

Agreeing with the opinion on Niemelä completely, he's been super solid in Liiga this season and point tally is by no means fluke. Didn't follow him much last year because he didn't stand out that much but this season he's become a complete factor in almost every game he has participated: Always part-taking in counterattacks and gives maybe the best opening pass in the league when his team is starting to build-up attacks in their own zone. Threat in the powerplay and now in the tournament with more experience than last year should be our most solid hopes succeeding.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Buttermilk

Dec 11, 2018
1. Finland
2. Kanada
3. Russia

Best forward: Kent Johnson
Best D: Topi Niemelä
Best G: Sebastian Cossa

All Stars:
Simontaival - Johnson - Michkov
Niemelä - Power