WJC: medal predictions and tournament best players

olgerd

Oct 19, 2021
Russia has the most talented generation in a very long time. Place below the second, I would consider a failure. But I will still put Canada in first place, I don't really believe in Zubov's coaching staff. As a fan of the Russian national team, I will be glad to make a mistake.

Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia
Bronze: USA
4th: Slovakia

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Gold Canada
Silver Russia
Bronze USA
4th Place Sweden
5th place Finland

Tournament's best players
Top scorer Shane Wright Canada
Best goal-scorer Matvey Michkov Russia
Best goaltender Jaroslav Askarov Russia
Best defenceman Owen Power Canada
Best forward Shane Wright Canada
Tournament MVP Shane Wright Canada

Tournament's allstar roster
Bedard Wright Michkov
Edvinsson Power
Askarov

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8 and LDN

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice to see some Slovak love.

Czechs ride a hot goalie and strong D to a bronze playing a style of hockey that no one enjoys watching.lol

Russia, Canada, Czechs

Best D Jiricek.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

Tournament's best players
Top scorer: Perfetti
Best goal-scorer: McTavish
Best goaltender: Garand
Best defenceman: Niemela
Best forward : Perfetti
Tournament MVP: Perfetti

Tournament's allstar roster
McTavish Perfetti Michkov
Niemela Power
Garand

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Most brutal collection of omissions I can recall in a single year by Team Canada. M. Savoie, Othmann, and Clarke are objectively far superior to guys who will now make the team. Guys like C. Savoie and McClennon also should have been at least invited. Less room for error with the chances of getting Byfield and/or Sillinger looking slim.

Not happy to not see these guys on the team even if we win gold. Finish anywhere else, and this management team can burn.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I dont think Canada takes the gold, they are missing too many players. Still a good team thought.

Gold: Russia
Silver: USA
Bronze: Slovakia
4th: Czech

I think Slovakia is better than ever and Czech has a better team than people think.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I dont think Canada takes the gold, they are missing too many players. Still a good team thought.

Silver: USA
4th: Czech

I think Slovakia is better than ever and Czech has a better team than people think.
Canada will still eat Slovakia and Czech Republic and beat them by 5+ goals each. It’s against the better teams where brain-numbing choices like bringing Finley (0.6 P/G, but 6’6”) over Savoie (near-2 P/G, but 5’10”) may hurt us.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Canada will still eat Slovakia and Czech Republic and beat them by 5+ goals each. It’s against the better teams where brain-numbing choices like bringing Finley (0.6 P/G, but 6’6”) over Savoie (near-2 P/G, but 5’10”) may hurt us.
Correct me if I’m wrong but this seems like an overreaction by Hockey Canada to getting “smash and grabbed” by plucky a USA team that scored early and sat in deep and made the rest of the final very physical and compact…. Seems that a relative fluke of a result in my opinion last year has completely clouded their judgement this year with regards to bringing more skill players, it’s not 2006 anymore

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Both Slovakia and the Czechs are better than they were last year, Czechs may have lost a bit up front but added speed in comparison to size and have one of the top defenseman in the tournament. Last year Canada beat Slovakia 3-1 in what was an extremely close game, where Slovakia iced multiple 16 year olds against a team full of all first rounders. Than in the quarters, the Czechs played Canada close, 3-0.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Correct me if I’m wrong but this seems like an overreaction by Hockey Canada to getting “smash and grabbed” by plucky a USA team that scored early and sat in deep and made the rest of the final very physical and compact…. Seems that a relative fluke of a result in my opinion last year has completely clouded their judgement this year with regards to bringing more skill players, it’s not 2006 anymore
I sure hope that’s not the case. The Americans scored off a tip in a hard fought first period and then got a second goal off an unbelievably lucky broken play where the puck sat on the net early in the second. The US’s defense and Knight deserve credit for holding strong but Canada carried the edge in play throughout the game and wins the majority of matchups between those two teams.

I seriously cannot get over Finley being on this team over Savoie. That alone is just so, so bad that “stupid” doesn’t capture it.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, this tournament will repeat the 2011 one, when Bragin won WJC in his first year as a head coach with a bunch of future NHL stars and superstars. Hope, we'll beat Canada in the final game.

Michkov will win the top scorer and MVP awards.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Predictions of Team Finland
- Aatu Räty will be Finland's top scorer but that's not enough for medals.
- Joakim Kemell plays good U20 WJC's but his time to be a star is 2023 U20 WJC's
- Brad Lambert has lots to prove and pressure gets too high and his struggle for scoring will continue.
- Roni Hirvonen is OK captain for Finland but he can't replace Anton Lundell
- Topi Niemelä shines in Finland's defense and is one of Finland's TOP3 players
- Samuel Helenius is most penalized player in the tournament
- Finalnd advances quarterfinals but will lose that for Russia after overtime finishing 5th place
^^ Michkov ends Finland's tournament scoring overtime game winning goal from penalty shot.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the field is going to eat North America's lunch this year. I hope I'm wrong from an American perspective but we have a couple of significant holes this year.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Victory is ours!

Gold: Finland
4th: Canada

Kemell - Räty - Michkov
Power - Niemelä
Askarov

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Most points: Perfetti
Most goals: Michkov
Top D: Power/Edvinsson
Top goalie: Askarov

Reactions: Finster8

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
Gold Russia
Silver Canada
Bronze Slovakia
4th USA

MVP : Askarov

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: CZE

Best players: Michkov Eklund Chibrikov Jiricek Edvinsson

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russia has the most talented generation in a very long time. Place below the second, I would consider a failure. But I will still put Canada in first place, I don't really believe in Zubov's coaching staff. As a fan of the Russian national team, I will be glad to make a mistake.

The 2003 and 2004 generations are great. But 2002 isn't anything collectively special, at all.
Most of the key offensive guys will be under-agers. That can pose a problem in a tourney like this.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
The US was simply better that game when it mattered. In the first half they out shot us, outplayed us, and outscored us and only then when Canada was down 2-0 did they decide to show up but by then it was too late. Spencer Knight was a brick wall in that game. It happens unfortunately.

Hockey Canada's overreaction to that loss has made them go apeshit this year and not in a good way. We have a bigger chance of not medalling this year at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad