TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The anticipation is killing me. I can't wait until the Leafs sign Matthews, Nylander, and Marner and the uncertainty is done.
Also, cant wait until the Leafs sign Tavares :naughty:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Mess gets it.

Forget which show I was watching but they were talking about the 3 amigos and they said, sign them in this order, Nylander first, Marner next and Matthews last. The reasoning is they used the Draisaitl, McDavid scenario and they theorized that by signing the big fish first (McDavid) it actually brought up Draisaitl's AAV. I tend to agree with this theory. They also said that if Marner and Nylander are smart they should bet on themselves and sign a bridge contract vs signing a long term 8 year deal.

They also said that Matthews AAV is somewhere between McDavid (12mil) and Eichel (10 mil). they feel that Marner's contract comparable is Pasternak's (AAV $6.67)

I honestly don't get why people are so scared of bridge deals.
you have 7 years of control.
3 ELC
2 RFA no Arb
2 RFA with Arb

use it to your advantage. heck. structure you contract (if you must give them a llong contract) pay them in a ladder.

Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
3 ELC
2 RFA no Arb
2 RFA with Arb

use it to your advantage. heck. structure you contract (if you must give them a llong contract) pay them in a ladder.

Agreed if you are just coming off your 3 year entry and think you deserve 8, 9 mil but are not willing to bet on yourself and take a bridge year so you can sign a bigger contract after the bridge deal expires, kinda sends a message that you don't think you are going to improve.

If I'm Nylander or Marmer, I'm pulling a Subban all day every day.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So rather then admit you were wrong you post this.

Uh, most people would understand that my reply is telling you that I think you are wrong...but that is just most people, you've clearly demonstrated that you aren't most people.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Agreed if you are just coming off your 3 year entry and think you deserve 8, 9 mil but are not willing to bet on yourself and take a bridge year so you can sign a bigger contract after the bridge deal expires, kinda sends a message that you don't think you are going to improve.

right?
take two years, earn it and the leafs will happily pay
i'd rather overpay knowing what i have vs. "saving money"

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
kinda sends a message that you don't think you are going to improve

Meh, signing short-term is also a bet that you won't suffer a career threatening injury. If you've got an offer for $55M vs. one for $15M, it's awfully difficult to turn down an extra $40M, especially in a career where one bad hit can end it all.

Turning down a long-term deal, with a higher AAV than a bridge contract, is a gamble on a lot more than talent.

Personally, I'd bridge all 3 and deal with the cap implications at a later date. We don't know how high the Cap will or won't go, so unless they're taking sweetheart deals to sign long-term, I ice the best roster possible right now, and deal with fitting everyone in/moving bodies out in a few years.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You can’t brodge all 3. That’s pretty much cap suicide.

Willy is a an Rfa. No point in bridging him now. He proved himself to be worth 6.5 ish. That’s a fair deal. 3 years from now you won’t get him. For less and he could deserve way more. Why risk that.

Matthews is the same. All these people who think he will get more than mcdavid are out to lunch. Even if the cap goes to 85 that’s like a .10 raise. Which is about a million.
Mcdavid has a hart, Pearson and 2 ross.

Matthews will not get more than mcdavid. Or even the same. Especially now that they are under the same umbrella.

Mitch could want to bet on himself and take a 2 year bridge. That would be fine get us out of the cap crunch. Of course with the impending lockout, who would take that.

Offer them long term deals with full salary lockout protection. They would be nuts not to sign

I wouldn’t mind seeing what Mitch’s comparables sign for. Aho. Ratanen, barzal etc before signing him If he wants more than 7.

If Willy wants a short term. Say we will trade you to Carolina for a D. Hope they can afford to pay you in 3 yrs

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Also. People asking for a bridge better know what they are asking for. 1 I can see. But all 3? Nuts.

What if Winnipeg bridged chief? Could they afford laine?

What if Colorado bridged mackinnon? What would he get now? 11?

What if Calgary bridged johny and Monahan? What would they be worth?

Do you think the isles would love another 2 years with Tavares in the fold?

Willy bet on himself and lost. To let him bridge again to try to get a 8-9 million deal is lunacy... the Matthews market is set.

Marner has a bunch of high performing contemporaries who may sign for less. If you have to bridge. It’s him I think

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Also. People asking for a bridge better know what they are asking for. 1 I can see. But all 3? Nuts.

What if Winnipeg bridged chief? Could they afford laine?

What if Colorado bridged mackinnon? What would he get now? 11?

What if Calgary bridged johny and Monahan? What would they be worth?

Do you think the isles would love another 2 years with Tavares in the fold?

Willy bet on himself and lost. To let him bridge again to try to get a 8-9 million deal is lunacy... the Matthews market is set.

Marner has a bunch of high performing contemporaries who may sign for less. If you have to bridge. It’s him I think
Just curious what you're referring to here - Nylander is currently on his ELC, and has never signed any other NHL contract. When did he bet on himself, and how did he lose?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Just curious what you're referring to here - Nylander is currently on his ELC, and has never signed any other NHL contract. When did he bet on himself, and how did he lose?

Probably means he could have extended last summer (like Ehlers).

I don't think he lost tho. Last year or this year, he's still probably getting a similar contract.

Reactions: Menzinger

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

I don't think he lost tho. Last year or this year, he's still probably getting a similar contract.
I would think Willy upped his stock this year - Didn't see that big increase in his scoring, but his work at 5v5 was much improved, he was missing his Center for 20 games, and he even got a better look down the middle himself.

I agree, though, I can't imagine there would've been a big difference between what he would've signed for last year and what he will sign for this year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I dunno I think Marner is going to have a monster season.
If Marner has a monster season no Leafs fan would complain about that. However for him to be considered asking for $9 million he would need to put up the same numbers Leon Draisaitl did during the 2016-2017 season which was 29 goals, 48 assists and 77 points. That got him a contract worth $8.5 million.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Worth noting that Mirtle/Siegel on a recent podcast notes that the Nylander camp was open to a new contract last summer but the Leafs opted to wait.

I’d agree that his contract situation likely wasn’t negatively impacted by last season too

Reactions: stickty111

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He had the chance to sign last year and bet on himself. He didn’t improve his numbers so he shouldn’t be looking for more. He didn’t really lose I guess in that he didn’t regress but he went through the year without job security and it didn’t pay off. Can’t let him do that again

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Worth noting that Mirtle/Siegel on a recent podcast notes that the Nylander camp was open to a new contract last summer but the Leafs opted to wait.

I’d agree that his contract situation likely wasn’t negatively impacted by last season too

Oh. Ok. I had that wrong. If it was the leafs, then I can see. I thought he said he wasn’t in a big rush and that he didn’t want to sign in the year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
3 ELC
2 RFA no Arb
2 RFA with Arb

The advantage of the bridge deal is that it can potentially lead to the team having the player locked up for a longer period, and obviously gives the team more cap flexibility in the short term.

The risk of course is if the player performs well (ie increases their scoring rate around 10-20 + points on average a season), it can cost upwards of 2+ million more on an AAV to lock them up. And if you think of that player as a long term core player, thats definitely a negative.

What will be interesting is if NHL stars start a copy their NBA counterparts and start going for huge money short term deals like one or two your contracts which would allow them to keep re-up in their salary rate as the cap rises.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The advantage of the bridge deal is that it can potentially lead to the team having the player locked up for a longer period, and obviously gives the team more cap flexibility in the short term.

The risk of course is if the player performs well (ie increases their scoring rate around 10-20 + points on average a season), it can cost upwards of 2+ million more on an AAV to lock them up. And if you think of that player as a long term core player, thats definitely a negative.

What will be interesting is if NHL stars start a copy their NBA counterparts and start going for huge money short term deals like one or two your contracts which would allow them to keep re-up in their salary rate as the cap rises.
Look at what happened when P.K. Subban signed that 2 year bridge deal with Montreal. Forgetting about the reasons why they traded him which had nothing to do with his next contract, he won the Norrs Trophy the year he signed that bridge contract and eventually got that 8 year, $9 million contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Look at what happened when P.K. Subban signed that 2 year bridge deal with Montreal. Forgetting about the reasons why they traded him which had nothing to do with his next contract, he won the Norrs Trophy the year he signed that bridge contract and eventually got that 8 year, $9 million contract.

Exactly, and the Habs probably could’ve locked him up at around 7 million before the bridge deal. I prefer the option of longer-term contracts myself. But there are a couple advantages with the bridge deal.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner is a selfish brat if he is asking for 9 million.
Hey Mitch, jumping up and down after goals doesnt mean you can ask for undeserved money.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Looks like they made a good call there.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

right.
but whatever. take the risk.
like it's not our money. get capable capologists (which we have) to figure it out.
draft well, so if you have to offset a rich contract with cheap labour (sorry to be blunt, but true), you're good to go.
regardless of how it works out we can't financially keep everyone and unless people take less to stay (which yay), take advantage of your leverage. i find it very interesting how everyone is all YAY PLAYER when they take theirs (Arb, UFA) but it's "dumb" when the team (or fans) want to contemplate using theirs (ELC/2 year RFA no Arb).

literally no pun intended, cross that bridge when you get to it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

There is a secondary strategy to it as well

Taking a long term deal coming off your ELC may short you some on the AAV it also secured you financially for life and protects against performance or injury issues. The bigger part is that it brings you to unrestricted free agency at the youngest age possible setting you up for a large retirement contract.

Better to hit UFA at 29-30 than 32/33. That has a huge impact on your second contract term and AAV

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have a feeling Marner is going to have a very strong season next year; if we can lock him up that would be great!

Matthews is gonna get paid around 10M to 11M regardless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad