TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Make the fair offer this summer, make a contract extension happen.

fair or not, i think after the "crap" year he had by his stands, Matthews would want to have two really great years vs 1 and 1

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Matthews is getting at least 12 million.

Marner would get 7 million of he signed today IMO, but if we wait a year and he has a monster year, he's getting at least 8.5/9.

And I'm okay with either, these are game changers we're talking about here.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Might be good to get at least one of the two contracts done now, but that obviously takes two willing parties. Not surprised if both opt to wait.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
fair or not, i think after the "crap" year he had by his stands, Matthews would want to have two really great years vs 1 and 1

I think you can project his year. He was over a PT/Game and a possession monster right up until his injury. Step up with the 8 year 11M per season offer and a full NMC. I think he'd only fall behind McDavid on AVG/Salary and give him a signing bonus for yr one (so 10M SB and 1M salary) and then signing bonus for lock out protection.

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Matthews is getting at least 12 million.

Marner would get 7 million of he signed today IMO, but if we wait a year and he has a monster year, he's getting at least 8.5/9.

And I'm okay with either, these are game changers we're talking about here.

Matthews will not be getting $5mil more than Marner.

Marner would get more than 7mil signing today IMO. Last half of the season, he was on pace for >90 points. This is > Pastrnak territory we're talking about.

People here try to put Nylander and Marner in the same category, but its clear that our 'big 3' are on different tiers.

The difference between Matthews and Marner is probably less than the difference between Marner and Nylander.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Might be good to get at least one of the two contracts done now, but that obviously takes two willing parties. Not surprised if both opt to wait.
Between them I would think Marner would want to sign now because we saw Nylander did not sign his extension last summer. Plus from January on Marner played great with Kadri and Marleau, along with being the best Leafs forward against Boston in the playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Between them I would think Marner would want to sign now because we saw Nylander did not sign his extension last summer. Plus from January on Marner played great with Kadri and Marleau, along with being the best Leafs forward against Boston in the playoffs.

From the player perspective, I'd agree Marner is the more likely of the two to re-sign and perhaps also factoring in the missed games due to injury for Matthews.

From the team perspective, I'd imagine wanting to re-up the 1C ASAP (not to say they wouldn't also want to re-sign Marner now and have the big 3 all locked in).

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
From the player perspective, I'd agree Marner is the more likely of the two to re-sign and perhaps also factoring in the missed games due to injury for Matthews.

From the team perspective, I'd imagine wanting to re-up the 1C ASAP (not to say they wouldn't also want to re-sign Marner now and have the big 3 all locked in).
If you follow what the Oilers did last July and I'm only speaking in terms of the order they went in, because no one needs to follow any example done by Peter Chiarelli. They got Connor McDavid signed first for his contract extension and after him they signed Leon Draisaitl who's ELC had finished, so he could have signed an offer sheet as an RFA. So that's where Matthews signing his extension this July as the #1 centre should be Dubas top priority. Plus ideally you don't want Marner to become an RFA if at all possible.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The difference between Matthews and Marner is probably less than the difference between Marner and Nylander.

Agreed Marner's hockey IQ is insane. Marner will for sure put up more than 80 points in a season. With all due respect to Kadri and Marleau who seemed to have little chemistry and Kadri was struggling in a big way. Marner literally elevated them 2-3 levels above what they were. Marner helped Bozak and JVR to career years as a rookie, last year elevated 2 other veterans.

The thing that is the elephant in the room is Nylander could be a 80 point man without Marner and Matthews. Nylander shows little to no passion inside for the majority of games. Sure he is a 60 point man in back to back year, he did it in his sleep, not showing up often. That doesnt sit well with coaches, linemates. Nylander is a Ferrari who is afraid to push the engine and gets passed by lesser cars in a race...thats the image he too often gives.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews missed 20 games to injury and Marner's 1st half was sluggish with a sophomore slump.

Both are smart enough to know they didn't maximize earning potential, so waiting and exploding statistically would be in there best interest.

Matthews might also like the leverage of potential offersheet to ensure he gets paid what he believes he's worth.

Reactions: supermann_98

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Matthews will not be getting $5mil more than Marner.

Marner would get more than 7mil signing today IMO. Last half of the season, he was on pace for >90 points. This is > Pastrnak territory we're talking about.

People here try to put Nylander and Marner in the same category, but its clear that our 'big 3' are on different tiers.

But the first half of the season, he was looking like a guy who would not even make 6 mill per year on a long term deal. It balances out. Just because he finished hot at the end of the season does not necessarily mean he gets a huge raise and we forget about the first half of the season when he was not doing that great. Just like a poor beginning of the season was not going to allow us to get him at under 6 mill a year.

And I would think the gap between Marner and Nylander is smaller than Matthews and Marner right now. Marner should be getting Pastrnak money. Nylander should be getting slightly less than that. Nylander should be getting 6.25-6.5 mill, and Marner somewhere in like the 6.75-7 mill based on the entire body of his year. Now if he think he can sustain his second half over an entire season next year, then he may be able to make another 1-1.5 mill per year on his deal. However at the same time, if he reverts back to what he did at the beginning of last year, he may have to be willing to accept money similar to what Nylander will be getting from us this year.

Matthews should be in the 10.5-11 mill range, and will stay in that range until he takes the next step. In fact, more performances like the one he had in the playoffs and he may have to take Eichel money from us, but if we got him for 10.5 mill per over 8 years we should lock him up now.

Reactions: Menzinger

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If you follow what the Oilers did last July and I'm only speaking in terms of the order they went in, because no one needs to follow any example done by Peter Chiarelli. They got Connor McDavid signed first for his contract extension and after him they signed Leon Draisaitl who's ELC had finished, so he could have signed an offer sheet as an RFA. So that's where Matthews signing his extension this July as the #1 centre should be Dubas top priority. Plus ideally you don't want Marner to become an RFA if at all possible.

Guess an offer sheet is always a possibility, even if an unlikely one.

I certainly hope all three deals can get done now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews might also like the leverage of potential offersheet to ensure he gets paid what he believes he's worth.
Technically speaking Matthews can sign his extension anytime after July 1, 2018. So he still might not make it to RFA status and no other team can give him an offer sheet.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Smart of them to hold out and hope for a better season next year and earn some major dollars. It'll make maneuvering around the cap more difficult, but not much we can do.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Technically speaking Matthews can sign his extension anytime after July 1, 2018. So he still might not make it to RFA status and no other team can give him an offer sheet.

Right, but we're talking about waiting and not signing extensions this summer and playing out their ELC.

Then summer 2019 when their entry levels expire does an OS potential creep into discussions as leverage for players particularly Matthews as teams would be lining up to get a #1C like him. Worst case they make the Leafs overpay to keep him, which then hurts Leafs Cap, but Matthews gets paid his big bucks one way or another.

HC7

May 2, 2018
If Matthews wants to wait a year he can enjoy playing with Hyman again.

Kids have the best upcoming team, but are greedy. Don't know what they got till it's gone...

Reactions: hullsy47

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
Ideally, I'd like to see all three of our young players to be signed this summer.

Mitch is more likely than Matthews to sign an extension this off-season, and he might want to wait another year, but he also saw Auston missing 20 games due to injuries, so perhaps he doesn't wanna risk anything in his last year. And he might be waiting to see what Willie is getting. That's what I'd do if I was him. It's his choice, though-- I wouldn't be surprised to see him not sign anything this year.

I think it's fair to offer Matthews a deal between 10.5 -11 million dollars.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Right, but we're talking about waiting and not signing extensions this summer and playing out their ELC.

Then summer 2019 when their entry levels expire does an OS potential creep into discussions as leverage for players particularly Matthews as teams would be lining up to get a #1C like him. Worst case they make the Leafs overpay to keep him, which then hurts Leafs Cap, but Matthews gets paid his big bucks one way or another.
My point is Matthews and Marner can sign their extensions in June 2019 which prevents them from getting RFA status and the threat of an offer sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->