TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Its a life long passion of his.

b68241f3f0e3d08ee68b11cfee974bed_400x400.jpeg

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're looking at it the wrong way ..

Mario Lemeiux twice saved the Pens organization helping them stay alive as loyalty to his team...

Matthews leaving for Arizona would be player desire related to help save the Coyotes organization the team he grew up following as his home town.

635762015002570983-auston-matthews.jpg

As the best NHL player to ever come out of the state, he could instantly fill the area and sell tickets to save the franchise. Its a life long passion of his.

Auston-Matthews-young.gif

auston-matthews-briere.jpg
I'm sure there are photos of Connor McDavid in a Leafs jersey when he was a kid and I can say he will want to leave the Oilers once his 8 year contract finishes and sign in Toronto.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Rocket Richard may have saved the Montreal Canadiens. Their average attendance in 1939-40 was 5,075 (Leafs was 11,293) and 7,051 in 1940-41 (Leafs 12,240) before Richard arrived. And don't forget that Montreal was a larger city than Toronto at the time.
That is so last century.:sarcasm:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You're looking at it the wrong way ..

Mario Lemeiux twice saved the Pens organization helping them stay alive as loyalty to his team...

Matthews leaving for Arizona would be player desire related to help save the Coyotes organization the team he grew up following as his home town.

635762015002570983-auston-matthews.jpg

As the best NHL player to ever come out of the state, he could instantly fill the area and sell tickets to save the franchise. Its a life long passion of his.

Auston-Matthews-young.gif

auston-matthews-briere.jpg

Creepy....just creepy.

And all in an effort to trigger people not smart enough to see through your schtick.

For shame.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm sure there are photos of Connor McDavid in a Leafs jersey when he was a kid and I can say he will want to leave the Oilers once his 8 year contract finishes and sign in Toronto.

Certainly a possibility even more so if he doesn't have a lot of team success in Edmonton.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Certainly a possibility even more so if he doesn't have a lot of team success in Edmonton.
Using your logic Matthews has made the playoffs in his first 2 seasons, where as McDavid has only made the playoffs 1/3 years. So I guess that means McDavid will be leaving Oilers right? :sarcasm:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That sounds pretty bad considering their ages and their talent levels. I hope that would never be the case.

Two franchise players can't typically coexist unless C and D. We need D if JT comes Phoenix may pay big enough to set us up for 7 years of Contention.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Two franchise players can't typically coexist unless C and D. We need D if JT comes Phoenix may pay big enough to set us up for 7 years of Contention.
We're set up for 15 years of contention if we keep Matthews, with or without Tavares.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We're set up for 15 years of contention if we keep Matthews, with or without Tavares.

Much fumes must be in your presence. Matthews hasn't even shown that he is a big game PO performer yet. Marner has shown more grit will and determination even.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs GM Dubas goes into familiar territory to pick Sandin in the first round, 29th overall
The agent for Mitch Marner is confident that when he sits down with Dubas to begin serious negotiations on a new contract, there won’t be the kind of tension that many are expecting.

“I don’t anticipate a battle,” Darren Ferris said. “Everything will be done in time, and there isn’t any rush. Both sides will be patient. Both have a common interest, and I don’t anticipate it being difficult.”

Understood, we’re looking ahead a bit here. Marner remains under contract through the 2018-19 season and will become a restricted free agent next summer.

For those who have not been paying close attention, the same goes for Matthews.

Though Dubas and the representatives for each player can start negotiating on July 1, that’s not likely to happen. Dubas has indicated he will approach the Matthews and Marner situations with patience and with the appreciation that neither contract will get done over night.
Where the negotiations between Ferris and Dubas could get interesting is if there’s a contract sought that is more in line with what Matthews is expected to seek. If Marner has another season in which he was equal to or better than Matthews in some statistical areas, expect Ferris to make a case that his client should, at the least, be in line with Matthews contract-wise.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Matthews is getting at least 12 million.

Marner would get 7 million of he signed today IMO, but if we wait a year and he has a monster year, he's getting at least 8.5/9.

And I'm okay with either, these are game changers we're talking about here.

"Matthews is getting at least 12 million".

Show me his Art Ross + Hart + Ted Linday + 100 point season.....

No? 90 point season? 80 point eason? 70 point season?

No? Top 10 in points? Top 20 in points?

No? Rocket Richard? Selke? Does he even kill penalties?

No? Well then sit TF down son.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad