TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They signed deals that were shorter than the maximum length after their ELC to become UFAs earlier (26 years for Kane and Stamkos for instance), rather than later as it seems to me you were proposing.

My point is either ways, unless the player just completely fall off the grid or the team is struggling big time, when guys like Kane and Stamkos hits UFA(whether at 25 or 28), their team will resign them to 8yrs deal regardless.
My point is it is much better value to paid 8yrs in a huge deal for players who are 25-33 than 28-36.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The thing is now it seems to be a normal thing for star players drafted 1st and 2nd overall to sign maximum 8 year extensions once their ELC have finished. We saw it with McDavid and Eichel.
Maybe it is time to start a new trend.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Did anyone watch insider trading? dregs said that marners camp believe that he can get eichel money, thats pretty crazy. He also said that a hometown discount is unlikely and that a big battle between the leafs and marner is ahead.

Dreger hasn't had any insider info about the Leafs since his cousin-with-benefits was the GM. He certainly doesn't have any idea what a player who can't even sign a contract extension yet is asking for. He's just fear mongering for attention.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dreger hasn't had any insider info about the Leafs since his cousin-with-benefits was the GM. He certainly doesn't have any idea what a player who can't even sign a contract extension yet is asking for. He's just fear mongering for attention.
While I like Dreger compared to anyone who works for Sportsnet, among the TSN Insiders I think it's fair to say that Dreger is last after Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun when it comes to rumors.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
While I like Dreger compared to anyone who works for Sportsnet, among the TSN Insiders I think it's fair to say that Dreger is last after Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun when it comes to rumors.

None of them know anything about the Leafs. Well maybe now that Lou is gone we will go back to having a leaky boat.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

He just says outrageous things for the clicks. TSN and Sportsnet both do it. Why would anyone listen to crap sports radio or watch crap sports tv videos.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Let's not forget before Shanahan was able to hire Babcock, I remember Dreger saying he was convinced that he was going to stay in Detroit.
Pretty sure he also said that he expects Lou to be the gm for next year and then like a day later Shanny says he won't be the GM.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Did anyone watch insider trading? dregs said that marners camp believe that he can get eichel money, thats pretty crazy. He also said that a hometown discount is unlikely and that a big battle between the leafs and marner is ahead.

Will Marner take a hometown discount?

mitch-marner.jpg

Dreger:
Speaking of discount days, the Toronto Maple Leafs may be looking for a discount on Mitch Marner as well. That seems highly unlikely. Now, we know who the big fish in the Toronto pond is and that’s Auston Matthews and it’s been speculated that maybe Matthews comes in at $11.5 million or around that target. Well look, Marner has the productivity, the statistics, to back him up to upwards of Jack Eichel at $10 million flat. I get the sense that although there’s a willingness to negotiate with Matthews, there’s a battle ahead for the Marner camp with the Maple Leafs.

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-tavares-focused-on-negotiations-with-islanders-1.1113234

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
I could see Nylander getting 6M and Marner getting 7M on 8 year deals. Would feel very uncomfortable with anything more than that.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving the big three a big pay day later on in their careers like Toews and Kane, if they earn it like they did by winning. Hope the Chicago situation now will serve as a good lesson for the Leafs.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thing that's annoying about Dreger is he seems to be driving up the price of players just by reporting these stupid numbers. The career high of our big three in terms of production is 69 points a year, but if you listen to the TSN mouthpiece, it's like we're budgeting for 3x Gretzky's.

To me, I lock in Nylander. Then I lock in Marner next. Then I hand Matthews his money so Marner doesn't look at that number and say "me too."

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see Nylander getting 6M and Marner getting 7M on 8 year deals. Would feel very uncomfortable with anything more than that.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving the big three a big pay day later on in their careers like Toews and Kane, if they earn it like they did by winning. Hope the Chicago situation now will serve as a good lesson for the Leafs.

I also don't like the idea that Boston is rolling with Pastrnak making $6 million or so but we pay the Toronto premium on Marner and Nylander who could conceivably command $1.5-3 million more each yet not be anywhere near a lock to outscore Pastrnak. If this becomes a negotiation issue, I think long and hard about trading one of them for a bluechip defenseman and then replacing them moneyball styles with Kapanen, Johnsson and Grundstrom.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It would be nice to sign them to their comparables

Matthews - 8 @10
Marner - 8 @ 7
Nylander - 8 @ 6.5

Comparables:
Pastrnak, ehlers, eichel

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I also don't like the idea that Boston is rolling with Pastrnak making $6 million or so but we pay the Toronto premium on Marner and Nylander who could conceivably command $1.5-3 million more each yet not be anywhere near a lock to outscore Pastrnak. If this becomes a negotiation issue, I think long and hard about trading one of them for a bluechip defenseman and then replacing them moneyball styles with Kapanen, Johnsson and Grundstrom.

Conext matters though:

Pasta only had one high scoring season when he signed his contract AND he signed when the overall cat was at a lower number. Inflation essentially will help bump up Nylander and Marner’s contracts

Personally I wouldn’t consider trading a player on their level over disagreement on a dollar value as (relatively) insignificant as 1-1.5 million, but that’s just me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Conext matters though:

Pasta only had one high scoring season when he signed his contract AND he signed when the overall cat was at a lower number. Inflation essentially will help bump up Nylander and Marner’s contracts

Personally I wouldn’t consider trading a player on their level over disagreement on a dollar value as (relatively) insignificant as 1-1.5 million, but that’s just me.

I'm aware of the Pastrnak context, just concerned that if all three of them are paid at or above market value, we are going to be engineering our own Edmonton/Chicago downfall before we've even gotten out of the first round.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
I'm aware of the Pastrnak context, just concerned that if all three of them are paid at or above market value, we are going to be engineering our own Edmonton/Chicago downfall before we've even gotten out of the first round.

There's a couple of teams in the NHL that are in a lot of cap trouble right now and in the foreseeable future that prevents them from being a competitive team.

MTL with Weber and Price, EDM with McDavid, Draisaitl, and Lucic, CHI with Toews and Kane. Let's just hope TOR isn't one of those teams in cap trouble in the future.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'd happily give Matthews Eichel's contract right now. 8 years @ 10 - 10.5 mil would be great for the team and fair for him. If he wants McDavid level money he needs to prove he's worth it. He's a monster, no doubt about that, but is he a top 3-5 player in the league? Hasn't proven that yet and a subpar playoff performance doesn't help his case. I hope management is playing hardball a bit with all 3 of Marner, Nylander, & Matthews. Don't give them the world vis a vis Edmonton Oilers previous regime until they've earned it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad