TSN: McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
put them both on the 4 th line for 50 games and let see how much they can get for their next contract

yeah purposely sewering the teams chance of winning for the sake of money sounds like a great idea to keep your best players happy

edit: imma add the sarcasm emote just in case :sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm aware of the Pastrnak context, just concerned that if all three of them are paid at or above market value, we are going to be engineering our own Edmonton/Chicago downfall before we've even gotten out of the first round.

I definitely understand the concern, but as long as the salaries are at worst market value I don’t see a problem (yet), if teams want to keep s talent you’ve got to pay for it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only in the minds of Leafs haters among HFBoards who would love to see that happen and will be disappointed once Matthews signs his new contract.

Depends .

Is it the same people that want to steal Tavares away from NYI and have him come home for big dollars the same ones that would be opposed to Matthews (pulling a JT ) and returning home to Arizona when he gets his opportunity as a RFA or even UFA after signing only a 5 year deal with the Leafs?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Depends .

Is it the same people that want to steal Tavares away from NYI and have him come home for big dollars the same ones that would be opposed to Matthews (pulling a JT ) and returning home to Arizona when he gets his opportunity as a RFA or even UFA after signing only a 5 year deal with the Leafs?
I think the situations are different where Tavares is coming from a tire fire organization and Matthews is helping lead one of the up and coming teams in the league. I think Dubas needs to structure his contracts so that the Leafs have control over his contract for as long as possible. Maybe that does include a bridge deal which still leads him to RFA and we sign him to a major deal then.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Depends .

Leafs are a contender. Coyotees are a laughable mess.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are a contender. Coyotees are a laughable mess.

Matthews would change all that and save a franchise in the process that he grew up cheering for.

If Matthews doesn't get the long-term deal at the $$ he wants his agent could push for a 5 year bridge deal making him a UFA at completion at age 26.

Who knows where Arizona will be in 5-6 years time.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews would change all that and save a franchise in the process that he grew up cheering for.

If Matthews doesn't get the long-term deal at the $$ he wants his agent could push for a 5 year bridge deal making him a UFA at completion at age 26.

Let's wait and see if they even have a team in 5 years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Honestly I'm sick of people saying Matthews will want to leave the Leafs the first chance he gets and play for the Coyotes. Fans of other teams get pissed when a few select group of Leafs fans will say Stamkos will want to play for the Leafs and today we are seeing that with Tavares. I know the Coyotes are unique given that Matthews is the first NHL superstar from Arizona, however if you hate the Leafs it seems no one seems to care if you post that Matthews will want to play for them. In the end Stamkos re-signed in Tampa Bay and no one will be surprised if Tavares re-signs with the Islanders, yet some people are convinced Matthews will want to leave the first chance he gets. It's pure hypocrisy and I'm sick of it.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Conext matters though:

Pasta only had one high scoring season when he signed his contract AND he signed when the overall cat was at a lower number. Inflation essentially will help bump up Nylander and Marner’s contracts

Personally I wouldn’t consider trading a player on their level over disagreement on a dollar value as (relatively) insignificant as 1-1.5 million, but that’s just me.
1-1.5M adds up, if you sign each of the big three like that, you're potentially spending an extra 4.5M, even with the cap potentially increasing, it isn't an insignificant amount, considering that you could be spending that to add another key piece to the team.

If you're spending on a player, and it reasonably limits you from improving/adding positive value to other parts of the team, you're starting to approach negative value for the player, and that's a sign, that you probably overpaid for the player.

I'm ok with signing players to fair and reasonable contracts, and am against undervaluing or overvaluing players if they've earned it and it also doesn't hurt the team. At the end of the day, you want to sign players so that it optimizes the team composition.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I get the idea of betting on oneself, but that's also risky in it's own way. I mean, not all factors are player controlled.

If we are prepared to drive the dump truck up to Matthews and Marner doors this summer, I'd think they'd have to strongly consider signing. It's so easy for injury to derail a season.

Throw Matthews the 8 year, 88 million & Marner 8 year, 64 million and call it a day.

I still think in a perfect world the Leafs would relish getting all 3 inked and holding 1 press conference to announce all 3 extensions together. Maybe introduce Tavares at the same time.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I get the idea of betting on oneself, but that's also risky in it's own way. I mean, not all factors are player controlled.

If we are prepared to drive the dump truck up to Matthews and Marner doors this summer, I'd think they'd have to strongly consider signing. It's so easy for injury to derail a season.

Throw Matthews the 8 year, 88 million & Marner 8 year, 64 million and call it a day.

I still think in a perfect world the Leafs would relish getting all 3 inked and holding 1 press conference to announce all 3 extensions together. Maybe introduce Tavares at the same time.
I'd love to see all three of our guys sign on the same day, that'd be the biggest day for the Leafs since I could remember if that happened.
Tavares would be the massive cherry on top.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Honestly I'm sick of people saying Matthews will want to leave the Leafs the first chance he gets and play for the Coyotes. I know the Coyotes are unique given that Matthews is the first NHL superstar from Arizona, however if you hate the Leafs it seems no one seems to care if you post that Matthews will want to play for them, yet some people are convinced Matthews will want to leave the first chance he gets. It's pure hypocrisy and I'm sick of it.

You're looking at it the wrong way ..

Mario Lemeiux twice saved the Pens organization helping them stay alive as loyalty to his team...

Matthews leaving for Arizona would be player desire related to help save the Coyotes organization the team he grew up following as his home town.

635762015002570983-auston-matthews.jpg

As the best NHL player to ever come out of the state, he could instantly fill the area and sell tickets to save the franchise. Its a life long passion of his.

Auston-Matthews-young.gif

auston-matthews-briere.jpg

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
You're looking at it the wrong way ..

Mario Lemeiux twice saved the Pens organization helping them stay alive as loyalty to his team...

Matthews leaving for Arizona would be player desire related to help save the Coyotes organization the team he grew up following as his home town.

As the best NHL player to ever come out of the state, he could instantly fill the area and sell tickets to save the franchise.

When was the last time a top pick went to his home town team to save them from destruction?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This is just the beginning of the lazy hockey media generating an endless trickle of contract speculation stories for the next calendar year. I suggest to just stop feeding it by clicking on these sorts of stories. Believe me - they monitor the traffic that goes to each individual article and repeat it when there's interest.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When was the last time a top pick went to his home town team to save them from destruction?

Rocket Richard may have saved the Montreal Canadiens. Their average attendance in 1939-40 was 5,075 (Leafs was 11,293) and 7,051 in 1940-41 (Leafs 12,240) before Richard arrived. And don't forget that Montreal was a larger city than Toronto at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->