Post-Game Talk: Mcdavid>Winnipeg Jets lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Add Wheeler and Scheifele to that list for me. For the leader who just inked a ridiculous deal for an older player his play has been atrocious. Lakidasical defense and poor offensive decisions is annoying to watch. I hated that contract the moment was signed and it's looking even worse now if this is the Wheeler we get for most of it. Scheifele is emulating Wheeler far too much right now and needs to be separated from him.

I guess the good news is that we have a number of forwards playing well below their capabilities and we still have a half decent record.
Here's the thing though: With Wheeler and Scheifele, I think that they are making mistakes borne of not having heads up to game speed yet. You cannot deny the supreme effort these guys give out there.

If Laine was at least giving that level of effort I'd be much happier. He's simply a passenger right now.

Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's the thing though: With Wheeler and Scheifele, I think that they are making mistakes borne of not having heads up to game speed yet. You cannot deny the supreme effort these guys give out there.

If Laine was at least giving that level of effort I'd be much happier. He's simply a passenger right now.

Effort isn't good enough for me when it comes to both of them. When your leaders are shirking their responsibilities then how can you expect others to do theirs. I could care less how busy a player looks if he is playing really stupid hockey.
Lindstrom has an entire career of not looking like he was trying but he was incredibly effective. It's time for this team to start really using it's brain and not just skate around aimlessly.

Our coach also needs to start holding his vets more accountable a

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is exactly why those two “leaders” can **** off from each other for awhile. Wheeler has never been much defensively but I expect better from Schief and it seems Wheeler’s bad habits have rubbed off on him. Freakin ridiculous.
Agreed, if Wheeler is the leader of this team he has to do a much better job of being more disciplined with his defensive responsibilities, he's providing a poor example. He's been letting his guy go and leaving it to others, has been bad positionally and taking shortcuts for offense. If Maurice expects those details out of others, he needs to demand it from Wheeler and Scheifele. Lowry does the little things right and was rewarded with a couple of goals last night but even he was guilty of drifting in the 3rd period , not getting low enough and just hoping the puck came to him. Hard to think he's not seeing Chef and Wheeler do the same things.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One thing that always irks me is that guys like Lowry, Copp and Tanev may not be the most talented guys but they pressure so hard, are so strong on the puck and seem to take genuine pride in playing a good two way game. Whereas we have so many other forwards who clearly have a ton more talent than CLT but cannot seem to match their play on the ice.

The Jets should be taking inspiration from Copp Lowry and Tanev to get back to their game and I am not just saying this just because they scored last night.

Seems like Maurice keeping the exact same lines as last night. Can't say I'm surprised just disappointed.

It would take 3 back to back losses with minimal goal scoring for lines to change.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One thing that always irks me is that guys like Lowry, Copp and Tanev may not be the most talented guys but they pressure so hard, are so strong on the puck and seem to take genuine pride in playing a good two way game. Whereas we have so many other forwards who clearly have a ton more talent than CLT but cannot seem to match their play on the ice.

The Jets should be taking inspiration from Copp Lowry and Tanev to get back to their game and I am not just saying this just because they scored last night.

It would take 3 back to back losses with minimal goal scoring for lines to change.

Which is why I have always only been luke warm on him as a coach. He is far too reactive when making his decisions whereas a more proactive coach would be actively looking to opti.ize his line up even if it goes against the grain or the wishes of his vets.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Well, this is a fun PGT :)

It will be interesting to see what the coach does after last night. He has one of the most talented and deepest rosters in the league, let's see if he can turn it into more than it seems to be right now.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well, this is a fun PGT :)

It will be interesting to see what the coach does after last night. He has one of the most talented and deepest rosters in the league, let's see if he can turn it into more than it seems to be right now.

Please let’s not stupidly throw this all on the coach now. For someone like Scheif that is as committed as he is, I am severely disappointed in his lack of responsibility in the defensive zone. He cheats for offense all the time and he needs not too. He is too talented to be a one trick pony.

Reactions: Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Please let’s not stupidly throw this all on the coach now. For someone like Scheif that is as committed as he is, I am severely disappointed in his lack of responsibility in the defensive zone. He cheats for offense all the time and he needs not too. He is too talented to be a one trick pony.

The sad thing is he didn't use to cheat defensively. It's only been the last year that this has started happening...

Reactions: Duke749

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
I'm giving PoMo a pass for a bit still but I really miss that team that shelled Vegas and only lost because of goaltending hackz. That wasn't all Stastny and Enstrom.

Reactions: Duke749

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The league has figured him out, pressure him as soon as he has the puck and he will give it away take away his time and space like Nashville and Vegas did in the playoffs and you essentially neuter him. Sick of watching him lazily glide around .

You pretty much nailed it Gotaf regarding Laine. He's on the slow side, continually turns the puck over, and really doesn't put in the effort a lot of the other players do. Right now, all we have is a " one dimensional" hockey player-who has a lazer shot, but the rest of his game, is just average --like a 4th liner.

On the other hand -- I'd rather have our problems than Edmonton's problems, who's whole game revolves around one player-McDavid.(he is great) Take away him, and they are not a good team- "very one dimensional" , and something that takes a long time to fix. Their Goaltending also is not good !!! One man can only take you so far, as last season showed.

Last edited:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
You know Schiefele was trying to change, right?

You don't force ANYTHING 3 on 3 because any play towards the net has a much higher likelyhood of being the last one. Puck possession is everything 3 on 3 which is why you see smart teams reset as many times as they need to to keep possession and get a grade a chance before risking loss of possesssion.

I saw several players do something that is not common for them - make a high risk play to create something. Tanev never turns the puck over at our blueline yet he tried to make another move against Puli and turned it over. Ehlers is more prone to turning it over but he was even worse.

This team will get back to the things they did last year to win. They just need to stop believing the hype about them.

We also need Buff back and Kuli with Myers. Morrow has to come out.

I'm well aware he was trying to change. I'm also aware that Ehlers forced the play for no reason. Neither of these put the goal on Laine, as was suggested by the guy I was replying to.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Last night it was obvious the difference between a superstar and a generational player. McDavid sure was amazing last night. I hate our team losing but wow if any of our guys were nearly that good I'd be pleased.
Trouba got beat badly on that first goal. Mo played well.
Little is just too slow for the NHL it is so much faster than last year. Ehlers with 2 bone headed plays. One cost us the game. CLT were pretty good for most of the game. Copp took a dumb penalty. Lowry huge game. Amazing, that all of those guys combined cost less than Ehlers and have been way more effective.
Mo had a great game.
Only goal I really felt Helly for was the game winner. Other than that the D was atrocious. The D has been atrocious all season. If it wasn't for our goalies bailing us out we would have lost every single game except for the first one.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah once 97 gets a few strides going from his own end and is unopposed, it's like trying to catch the wind, a greased pig, or our 1 year old cat when he gets the evening crazies. Fuggadeaboutit. I saw him blow past plenty of other younger Jets than Wheeler including 8 and 44. McDavid's speed is just something else.

If you want to talk SLOW, Ben Chariot was skating back into the Jets end to retrieve the puck and goddamn Lucic nearly caught up with him (at least once, I seem to remember it happening twice).
remember what he did to Brodie a year (or 2?) ago? Brodie is a damn fine skater and got postered or 'GIF'd' by McDavid. It's truly remarkable.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Last night it was obvious the difference between a superstar and a generational player. McDavid sure was amazing last night. I hate our team losing but wow if any of our guys were nearly that good I'd be pleased.
Trouba got beat badly on that first goal. Mo played well.
Little is just too slow for the NHL it is so much faster than last year. Ehlers with 2 bone headed plays. One cost us the game. CLT were pretty good for most of the game. Copp took a dumb penalty. Lowry huge game. Amazing, that all of those guys combined cost less than Ehlers and have been way more effective.
Mo had a great game.
Only goal I really felt Helly for was the game winner. Other than that the D was atrocious. The D has been atrocious all season. If it wasn't for our goalies bailing us out we would have lost every single game except for the first one.

The only way to stop McDavid is to "angle play" him, and try to take the body off the puck. Trying to keep up the pace and skate with him is useless. One goal he scored on the Jets--I believe the first one--he just blew by Trouba, leaving him standing still, and bang it was in the net.

They pretty much have to have the angle on him, and force him to the outside, or just take the body, and force him out of the play.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Last season when the Jets laid an egg they came out guns blazing and took it to whoever they played next time out. They laid an egg against Nashville and we've barely seen a response through two games. That's what concerns me.

I don't think they laid an egg against Nashville. I thought the Dallas game was worse. I thought they came out hard against Nashville. That game was back and forth in the first. Then the refs stepped in

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Weed is legal and boy we need it!

Jets certainly don’t.

Paul Maurice could use it,ugh!

“Hey Huddy pass the bongula man!”

Yeah--after last night's loss--Maurice could have used a giant Hooka pipe, with a couple of ounces of pot, and the loss wouldn't have been so bad.:)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
For the millions they get they should be able to handle a little abuse when they are not "great".
This is more than a little abuse, and some players getting it more than others.

A few posters really dissapointing me..

RapidFrailJabiru-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: