Post-Game Talk: Mcdavid>Winnipeg Jets lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Suspect defensive play in the third, but you need a few saves in a game like that. Rattie’s goal that started it all was bad. Nurse’s OT winner was atrocious.

Hellebuyck’s only real bad game of the year so far, but it was a stinker.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I rather someone like lowry as captain than wheeler...wheeler and scief are making some dumb defensive plays in the d-zone.....this is starting to smell like the 2016-17 season all over again...no excuses for losing to the oilers, an one line team and average goaltending....this is a bad lose and hope it wakes up the team...at the end of the season, every game they lose now will look huge especially against teams like the oilers..

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Super.. thanks for putting those together Whileee.

I'm baffled by our lineup. While Ehlers and Laine are supposedly "learning to play a 2 way game" on the second line, the first line is apparently being deployed as some kind of quick-strike offense first line. Well if that's the kind of thing you want to use the first line for, why not put Laine there and use Wheeler in a more defensive role??

About the only time Wheeler gets defensive is during interviews. It's like he has a one-track mind -- offense only, defense is for the two guys at the blue line. Or a two-track mind if you count dumb penalties.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I thought first 2 periods were good, no stupid penalties and good effort. then they thought the game was in in the pocket and stopped working and McDavid took over. Good wake up call and no need to overreact. Lowry was awesome. Did Little even play, I didn't hear his name once...
Sit anyone if necessary, give Niku a shot.
Watch next game, I feel Jets are coming out with fury
Yep, talked about the changes needed for forwards. Getting Niku up & playing the NHL game ASAP most needed on D. He alone would make a huge diff to our offensive game.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Also PoMo if you are reading this, please play your 4th line more and give your top 3 a bit of a rest. There is no reason not to just roll lines last night especially when we go up. Constantly trying to get Scheif out there against McD didn't work.
Yup, you have the last change, you have a really good checking line, and yet you keep sticking Scheif's line up against the best and hottest player in the NHL. Can someone please explain to me what goes on in PMos head sometimes.:huh:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yup, you have the last change, you have a really good checking line, and yet you keep sticking Scheif's line up against the best and hottest player in the NHL. Can someone please explain to me what goes on in PMos head sometimes.:huh:

Adjustments should have been made after McDavid started ripping it up.

Reactions: Ducky10

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think all that shows you is how important Buff is to this team. The defense goes from being a strong point to being mediocre very fast without him. Myers has been a shell of his play last year only makes it worse. Chiarot is serviceable when playing Buff and he isn't when hes not. Morrow has been ok but his minutes need to be limited too. Kuli still hasn't recovered yet either.

That forward group though, watching them stand around in the 3rd and do nothing until the Oilers tied it up was sad. Part of that is on PoMo because Scheifs line wasn't very good and they were gassed. Shake this team up and rejig the lines for a few games.
I'm going to go a lot harder than that on PMo. Like 90% of our problems right now could be fixed by a coach that would change stuff that doesn't work, and wouldn't forever cater to his vets. Its downright disgusting already. Much as we said this time last year, only thing holding this club back is the coaching. Wake up PMo FFS.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Honestly surprised that Mo didn't call a timeout when the Oilers made it 4-2 or 4-3. Maybe not at 4-2 because that goal happened right away in the 3rd, but when the Oilers made it 4-3 for sure. Call a time out and start yelling at you players to wake up. Would it have helped? Couldn't have hurt.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Below is a series of stills from the sequence leading to the Oilers' 2nd goal.

Connor pressures the initial puck carrier (RD), who swings it over to LD. At this point Scheifele and Connor go to pressure the LD. Wheeler's responsibility is to cut off the neutral zone, particularly since McDavid is cruising and looking for a break. Instead, in the first frame you can see that Wheeler if focused on the puck carrier, and hoping to pick up a turnover to go on offense. Remember, it's the 3rd period and the Jets have a 4-1 lead...

View attachment 147353

The LD, with plenty of time to work chips the puck up the boards past Wheeler to McDavid who is turning with speed. CSW all get caught within 12 feet of each other in a cluster along the boards at the Oilers' blue line. McDavid now leads a 3 on 2 with a ton of space through the neutral zone. Remember, the Jets have a 4-1 lead in the 3rd at this point...

View attachment 147359

Now the Oilers have a 3 on 2 led by McDavid, and Morrissey and Trouba can't maintain a good gap because there is virtually no back pressure. Wheeler, who was the high forward on the initial forecheck is trailing badly, and Scheifele is caught in no-man's land, hoping that Morrissey will once again make a great stick play so Scheifele can turn and go on offense again, I guess...

View attachment 147361

McDavid draws Morrissey over, who makes a good play with his stick, but Rattie is wide open down the right wing and picks up the puck and roofs it.

This play is a good example of a line that is focusing too much on turnovers and going on offense, instead of defensive positioning and the physical play needed to win the puck in their own zone.
That is a classic sequence. Second shot in particular is so revealing, our three forwards playing the puck at the opponents blue line letting the best player in the NHL free on a odd man rush. All that with a 3 score lead.

So what does PMo do - rewards that line with more playing time & sticks them out every chance he gets vs McDavid. Ugggggggggg - I give up.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Honestly surprised that Mo didn't call a timeout when the Oilers made it 4-2 or 4-3. Maybe not at 4-2 because that goal happened right away in the 3rd, but when the Oilers made it 4-3 for sure. Call a time out and start yelling at you players to wake up. Would it have helped? Couldn't have hurt.
He can yell all he wants. If he doesn't have the balls to make the changes that they all know are needed both with the forwards & D, and quit his endless overplaying of 5-6 vets, who is really going to listen to what he has to say

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He can yell all he wants. If he doesn't have the balls to make the changes that they all know are needed both with the forwards & D, and quit his endless overplaying of 5-6 vets, who is really going to listen to what he has to say
maybe he should have played ehlers and laine against McDavid more or roslovic and limieux I guess.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am still so dissappointed in Patrik Laine.

First couple of games I saw renewed interest, a quicker step and a guy starting to rush the puck creatively again.

Lately I see a guy who waves his stick around, loses every board battle, never takes more than 2 steps when he doesn't have the puck before coasting, and just sits in his spot looking for gravy.

That might have worked for him last year but it even looks like his shot has seriously lost something too - not as accurate or deceptive.

Utterly disappointing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Does Perreault still even play for the Jets because I never seen him all night.
Even when he's on the ice. Another example of how fancystats can tell a flawed story if you are willing to read it.

I haven't seen much from Perreault at all for at least the last 6 months of hockey.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
maybe he should have played ehlers and laine against McDavid more or roslovic and limieux I guess.
Who said that. Why do you have a specialized checking line if your not going to use them against the best player in the NHL. Seriously, if you are intent on defending some of Pmos decisions here lately, you really need to come up with a better defense than that

Last edited:
Reactions: 204hockey

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Scheifele was the one that lost Ehlers pass, it was turned around and then Laine got on the ice. He did enough wrong on his own without trying to hang this one on him too.
You know Schiefele was trying to change, right?

You don't force ANYTHING 3 on 3 because any play towards the net has a much higher likelyhood of being the last one. Puck possession is everything 3 on 3 which is why you see smart teams reset as many times as they need to to keep possession and get a grade a chance before risking loss of possesssion.

I saw several players do something that is not common for them - make a high risk play to create something. Tanev never turns the puck over at our blueline yet he tried to make another move against Puli and turned it over. Ehlers is more prone to turning it over but he was even worse.

This team will get back to the things they did last year to win. They just need to stop believing the hype about them.

We also need Buff back and Kuli with Myers. Morrow has to come out.

Reactions: folix

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Give them 10 games before calling for mass firings. It's only fair. The 14/15 squad started 2-5-0 this is massively better and actually a positive point %. They played pretty damn well for 66% of that game but lost focus/energy.

folix

Jul 24, 2011

Its a momentum breaker, its a great tool to use as a coach. Your winning, you want to keep it that way, there is almost a greater chance this works here rather then with 35 seconds left and you try to give your top line 30 seconds of rest to try to tie it up.

Yeah your right a good coach calls a time out there.

Reactions: thegr8one66

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Can you imagine if McD was on our roster? hmmm....I wonder what it would take to get him in a trade?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
You know Schiefele was trying to change, right?

You don't force ANYTHING 3 on 3 because any play towards the net has a much higher likelyhood of being the last one. Puck possession is everything 3 on 3 which is why you see smart teams reset as many times as they need to to keep possession and get a grade a chance before risking loss of possesssion.

I saw several players do something that is not common for them - make a high risk play to create something. Tanev never turns the puck over at our blueline yet he tried to make another move against Puli and turned it over. Ehlers is more prone to turning it over but he was even worse.

This team will get back to the things they did last year to win. They just need to stop believing the hype about them.

We also need Buff back and Kuli with Myers. Morrow has to come out.

I agree possesion is what 3v3 is all about, Elhers made a stupid play. Move along.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Can you imagine if McD was on our roster? hmmm....I wonder what it would take to get him in a trade?

Lol basically we would have to swap teams....do not want. If we could some how ship Pomo over there.....

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I slept on it -
Last night I was all for "blow it up" - sooner the better.

But at the end of the day, we thought we had this one in the bag - and to be honest, we did and fairly easily.
And then in the 3rd, we stopped playing - everyone.
I have no idea what came over this team in the 3rd, but they simply stopped skating. Players didn't all of a sudden lose their ability to play the game - the simply chose not to.
The callouts on PoMo and our top 6 will continue but if we had continued to play as we did in P1&2, most of these comments wouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad