Post-Game Talk: Mcdavid>Winnipeg Jets lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Fair enough..

Just feel like, personally, Ehlers and Laine have been scapegoated far too many times, while not seeing the same favourable treatment as say a Kyle Connor.

It is like posters are not taking things like that into account, stuff that could definitely break a young player.

And the also the same posters, never seem to have anything good to say about these guys..And then to me, it seems like a headhunt plain and simple.

Connor is scoring right now. He's also the best player in his line.

Ehlers and Laine take some more criticism than other players, sure. They're higher profile guys. They also happen to deserve 95% of what they're getting in this season so far as well.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Scheifele's hard work and physical game hasn't been lacking in the O-zone, he's been a beast at times actually, very hard on the puck down below the goal line. It's been lacking in the D-zone though, he's not supporting the puck very well and is looking for the D to feed him the puck while he transitions, instead of digging it out and helping start the breakout. He's also had a habit of releasing his check through the neutral zone and letting someone else takeover the F1 role coming back into the zone. The Jets have always been most effective when they move the puck quickly down low with the proper support.

With the state of our current D, he really needs to get down there to help

Reactions: surixon and ecolad

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Sounds like a whole lot of bullpoopie to me. Scheifele is a chameleon, he can play any role that's asked of him and actually dominated as a physical shutdown player alongside Stone and O'Reilly on Team Canada or as the support role for McDavid and Matthews on Team NA. I don't think a personality like Scheifele's would ever allow himself to be above the team in any respect. He's a team first guy, and nothing I've seen or heard to date would hint otherwise.

We don`t differ much. Schiefele definitely can, and did, excel as a two way C with the Jets and even a shut down C on Team Canada as you point out. I believe that his experience in the World Cup, inter-acting with other elite C such as McDavid and Mathews, is what actually shaped his vision of how he wanted to play as the first line C on the Jets (finisher). It was shortly after he returned from the Worlds that he began to change his playstyle and as he did so, the effectiveness of the ESL line diminished . You have certainly elevated my comment that Schiefele will resist change in role to the very highest level. It would require a major treatise to set out how"resisting change in role" is somehow synonymous with "being above the
team".:)

Reactions: Scheifelaine

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
If McDavid is so "special " then go get his autograph and carry his equipment bag to the bus before he leaves town.

I see no embarrassment at all in that interview by our captain.
just watched this while skimming the thread and get the same feeling lol.. is that new 8 mill garunteed for next 5years still blinding him ? the wheeler i know would have been rude short and snippy with the questions and mad they lost

Reactions: tntkid

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Why are you doing this?

Not exactly my point was it?

Ofc, they probably couldn’t give two ****s about what a couple of posters with way too much time on their hands write..

My point is that a few players are getting blamed alot more, and alot harsher than a few other players, who imo have been just as bad, albeit with alot more toi to show for it.

Btw, Laine isn’t getting paid 10mil yet is he now?

The way some very adament posters are talking about Laine and Ehlers, even when they played well - Well it makes it obvious they have a bias against them... Even tho they are Jets. The same posters who are being asses towards these players, are not the same posters who give them credit when they play well, again, obvious bias against them.

For me personally it is getting old to see grown men write like this about some of our youngsters.. I get this is ok for some of you, hence me saying a hiatus might be the right choice for me personally.

Luckily RDR2 is coming out next week

Hopefully none of our players spend ANY time reading these boards. Unless of course they enjoy the odd GDT by Z5GG ;)

Professional athletes should be focused and avoiding press (negative or positive) nevermind the ramblings of us hockey mad fans.

Folks it’s ok to vent but many of our posts are getting to the point of ledge jumping. Players don’t always play well regardless of their intentions. We can call out wheeler & scheif for not playing well. I don’t think we can call them out for not caring (which in some cases people are)

Win tonight and some wounds will be healed.

GJG

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So much this

Lol at the haters

We have 3 really good D men and one is injured and without Toby these other guys look lost.

The Jets may miss Enstrom, but they miss Buff more.
Either Morrow or Chiarot can play with Buff. They are not good as a pair. Chia and Kuli are not good as a pair. Kuli and Myers are good as a 3rd pair. Morrow and Myers are not.

With Buff out, there is no way to construct an adequate 2nd pair and the 3rd pair is also buggered.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Jet

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Jets may miss Enstrom, but they miss Buff more.
Either Morrow or Chiarot can play with Buff. They are not good as a pair. Chia and Kuli are not good as a pair. Kuli and Myers are good as a 3rd pair. Morrow and Myers are not.

With Buff out, there is no way to construct an adequate 2nd pair and the 3rd pair is also buggered.

All of these guys have been in the league long enough that they could and should be better. I think some of our defensive woes have to be traced back to having an assistant coach that was a pretty shitty defenseman in his playing days. Happy days last year means it's been a while since we were crapping all over Mo's assistants. Maybe it's time to get back to that. I would hate to see Niku ruined by having a devil on his shoulder.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All of these guys have been in the league long enough that they could and should be better. I think some of our defensive woes have to be traced back to having an assistant coach that was a pretty ****ty defenseman in his playing days. Happy days last year means it's been a while since we were crapping all over Mo's assistants. Maybe it's time to get back to that. I would hate to see Niku ruined by having a devil on his shoulder.

All of those guys have been in the league long enough that they must be better than some people are willing to admit. :naughty:

I think the trouble is that Chiarot, Morrow and Myers are all 3rd pair D who can only play up with a strong partner. Kulikov may be a borderline 2nd pair player when/if he is ever fully healthy but he is not right now. So with Buff out, we have zero 2nd pair D.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm well aware he was trying to change. I'm also aware that Ehlers forced the play for no reason. Neither of these put the goal on Laine, as was suggested by the guy I was replying to.
Laine had a HUGE role in that goal. He wasn't solely responsible but he let friggin Darnell Nurse walk him.

If Laine wants to be a superstar, he needs to realize that he has to work for it. Guys with supreme talent who just rely on that end up being footnotes in history.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It means he’s doing part of his job, but not all of it. There is far more to hockey then simply shooting.
A lot of those shots were him just wasting one IMO

His accuracy has not been there this year. I appreciate that PL worked on getting leaner this off season but did he work on his other skills? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
All of these guys have been in the league long enough that they could and should be better. I think some of our defensive woes have to be traced back to having an assistant coach that was a pretty ****ty defenseman in his playing days. Happy days last year means it's been a while since we were crapping all over Mo's assistants. Maybe it's time to get back to that. I would hate to see Niku ruined by having a devil on his shoulder.
Every player has a ceiling, some are just lower than others. I don't think Huddy can get guys like Chiarot, Morrow or Myers to rise above that, just play to it. He seems to be doing just fine with Morrissey and Trouba if we look at the flip side, but again, that's not Huddy either, it's just those guys are flat out better players.

Was it Sather's fault Huddy was a shite player? Or was it Huddy's?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
All of those guys have been in the league long enough that they must be better than some people are willing to admit. :naughty:

That's treading perilously close to appeal to authority, Mort. ;) We know that players stay in the NHL for reasons beyond superior talent. The fact that CM&M are not yet facing serious challenges for their jobs is a sad testament to how poorly the Jets have drafted and developed defensemen up to now. Morrissey is really the only example of good drafting and development with the high probability of a bright long term future with the Jets. I added that last bit to exclude Trouba.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Every player has a ceiling, some are just lower than others. I don't think Huddy can get guys like Chiarot, Morrow or Myers to rise above that, just play to it. He seems to be doing just fine with Morrissey and Trouba if we look at the flip side, but again, that's not Huddy either, it's just those guys are flat out better players.

Was it Sather's fault Huddy was a ****e player? Or was it Huddy's?

You know what they say about dogs. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Could Huddy have been been better with better coaching? Not a question I can answer. But if coaches aren't making a significant positive impact on player development, if all it ever comes down to is natural ability, what the heck are we paying them for?

Reactions: Board Bard

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's treading perilously close to appeal to authority, Mort. ;) We know that players stay in the NHL for reasons beyond superior talent. The fact that CM&M are not yet facing serious challenges for their jobs is a sad testament to how poorly the Jets have drafted and developed defensemen up to now. Morrissey is really the only example of good drafting and development with the high probability of a bright long term future with the Jets. I added that last bit to exclude Trouba.

Yup, it is an appeal to authority. But your statement that by dint of having been around they should be better than they are is an appeal to eternal growth. By that measure Paul Maurice should be a lot better coach than he is. ;) Those 3 all have their warts. They are the same warts they will always have. That's why they belong on the 3rd pair.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
You know what they say about dogs. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. Could Huddy have been been better with better coaching? Not a question I can answer. But if coaches aren't making a significant positive impact on player development, if all it ever comes down to is natural ability, what the heck are we paying them for?
But there is a limit is all I'm saying. I think coaches do play a role in helping a player reach their ceiling, but those are all different. Chiarot is never going to be Josh Morrissey no matter who his coach is.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Was it Sather's fault Huddy was a ****e player? Or was it Huddy's?

Yeah I have a hard time assessing assistants. One could argue the Jets have gotten everything they possibly can out of Chariot. He just is a limited player.

As mentioned Trouba, Morrissey, Buff, Toby have all performed well under him. How much of that is coaching and how much of that is talent in not sure. Most of these guys have personal coached these days as well so really hard to say.

On the whole I'm happy with the individual defensive performances by our players. I'm really curious how this staff will handle Niku when he makes it full time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
But there is a limit is all I'm saying. I think coaches do play a role in helping a player reach their ceiling, but those are all different. Chiarot is never going to be Josh Morrissey no matter who his coach is.

Yes, there are limits, but I think they should be doing more to correct obvious mistakes being repeated. Like, Ben, we've noticed a tendency on your part to needlessly ice the puck while under no pressure, how about we spend some time working on that? Or Tyler, we've noticed a tendency on your part to trip over your own feet like a clumsy giraffe, how about we spend some time working on that?

OK, being a little flippant here, but you get my point?

Reactions: Ducky10

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

After seeing two Jets coaches, I can confidently say the answer to that question is "press conferences."

Reactions: Laine Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->