McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

McDavid Right Now vs. Crosby at His Peak

• Total voters

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The NHL was looking hard for a "Golden Child" to help lead the NHL like the NBA did and they forced Crosby down everyone's throat as the "Next Gretzky", when in fact he wasn't.

McDavid is closer to Gretz than Sidney will ever be, and the Pens fans are feeling insecure as Crosby is going to be second fiddle to McDavid as Lemieux was to Gretzky...they have to live it down all over again.

Reactions: Future GOAT

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
The NHL was looking hard for a "Golden Child" to help lead the NHL like the NBA did and they forced Crosby down everyone's throat as the "Next Gretzky", when in fact he wasn't.

McDavid is closer to Gretz than Sidney will ever be, and the Pens fans are feeling insecure as Crosby is going to be second fiddle to McDavid as Lemieux was to Gretzky...they have to live it down all over again.

I think there is a big enough age gap that McDavid falls into his own lane. Sid, Ovi and Malkin are their own generation to compare imo.

But I do agree that McDavid will be the superior individual player when it is all said and done.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

Not if McDavid never wins a Cup. What put Gretzky ahead of Lemieux was his combination of being ahead in both individual and team accomplishments. Arts and Harts are nice, but you still need Cups to go with the individual accolades in order to become an all-time great.

Reactions: Hustlr

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Not if McDavid never wins a Cup. What put Gretzky ahead of Lemieux was his combination of being ahead in both individual and team accomplishments. Arts and Harts are nice, but you still need Cups to go with the individual accolades in order to become an all-time great.

Or never has a season where his level of play was at least at the same level of Crosby's best, and not just offense either.

McDavid will likely be closer to Mario, Wayne and Jagr in the sense that they were primarily used to maximize their offensive contribution in deployment and linemates. McDavid has some freedom now to play as a winger in own end while Crosby never had that luxury.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Gretzky also had a better team than Lemieux did early on. Why not mentioned that? It took Lemieux 7 years to win his first cup, while Gretzky had more talent around him within a few years of being in the league.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Gretzky also had a better team than Lemieux did early on. Why not mentioned that? It took Lemieux 7 years to win his first cup, while Gretzky had more talent around him within a few years of being in the league.

I agree. Nevertheless, if McDavid never wins a Cup, it will plague his career status like it does Marcel Dionne and Joe Thornton; like it did to Yzerman and Ovechkin until they won. Life isn't fair sometimes.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

Bingo.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not a big Crosby fan at all but I think this is him. He's got such incredible attention to detail for all facets of the game, and elevates everyone he plays with. McDavid has more natural talent but I dunno, his defensive effort sometimes is questionable.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Crosby. McDavid's peak might be better though but it's hard to tell at this point.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Crosby was almost leading the league in scoring with his assists alone at his peak.
Not really

His closest was 06-07, where his 84 assists would have put him 21st in the art ross race. And he didn't even lead in assists that year! His assists would have lost the race by 36 points

The closest person to doing what you claim is Thornton in 05-06, who would have gotten 10th off assists alone, and whose assists would have lost by 27

Like.... Crosby doesn't even have the SECOND best post-lockout season by this metric...

Sedin's assists in 09-10 would have been 26pts off of second, good for 15th

MCDAVID's assists in 16-17 would have been 20th, only 19 off the lead

Kucherov's assists last year would have been 19th, 29pts points off the new leader

Do people just not fact check around here? Like this is such an easily disprovable claim with 5' of googling. Like within 5' I could find 4 seasons where another player, MCDAVID INCLUDED, had more impressive seasons in terms of assists than Crosby. Crosby never came CLOSE to leading just based off his assists, and there is no way you can spin that fact to make yourself seem right

......But I still take crosby's peak vs mcdavid right now

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Not really

His closest was 06-07, where his 84 assists would have put him 21st in the art ross race. And he didn't even lead in assists that year! His assists would have lost the race by 36 points

The closest person to doing what you claim is Thornton in 05-06, who would have gotten 10th off assists alone, and whose assists would have lost by 27

Like.... Crosby doesn't even have the SECOND best post-lockout season by this metric...

Sedin's assists in 09-10 would have been 26pts off of second, good for 15th

MCDAVID's assists in 16-17 would have been 20th, only 19 off the lead

Kucherov's assists last year would have been 19th, 29pts points off the new leader

Do people just not fact check around here? Like this is such an easily disprovable claim with 5' of googling. Like within 5' I could find 4 seasons where another player, MCDAVID INCLUDED, had more impressive seasons in terms of assists than Crosby. Crosby never came CLOSE to leading just based off his assists, and there is no way you can spin that fact to make yourself seem right

......But I still take crosby's peak vs mcdavid right now
I said his peak. In 2012-2013 before his injury his assists nearly paced the league

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
I said his peak. In 2012-2013 before his injury his assists nearly paced the league
that’s a tiny sample size to draw conclusions from. And even still, Crosby’s a/gm would have only been good enough for the 7th best points pace that season. It only seems like he would have paced the league because of the small sample size of games. Over an 82 game season that is 10 less assists than MSL would have lost points, and the likelihood is Crosby’s assist rate would have dropped somewhat by the end of the year.

Again, why do people not just verify or think about these things themselves..... we are already on the internet

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
that’s a tiny sample size to draw conclusions from. And even still, Crosby’s a/gm would have only been good enough for the 7th best points pace that season. It only seems like he would have paced the league because of the small sample size of games. Over an 82 game season that is 10 less assists than MSL would have lost points, and the likelihood is Crosby’s assist rate would have dropped somewhat by the end of the year.

Again, why do people not just verify or think about these things themselves..... we are already on the internet
Looks like I wasent wrong then. Again, why are people dumb

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Crosby's Assists/game was 5th best when compared to the PPGs of the scoring leaders in 2013. You say he would have seen a drop over 82 games but so would everyone else in PPG.

As with his PPG in his partial seasons, it is not a huge stretch to make a claim on his Assists per game. He would not have lead the league in scoring on assists alone but you can certainly point to him as being arguably the best playmaker of his era along with being arguably the 2nd best goalscorer of his era.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I agree. Nevertheless, if McDavid never wins a Cup, it will plague his career status like it does Marcel Dionne and Joe Thornton; like it did to Yzerman and Ovechkin until they won. Life isn't fair sometimes.

I am perplexed every time someone admits their rating system is unfair and defends it simultaneously.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Crosby's Assists/game was 5th best when compared to the PPGs of the scoring leaders in 2013. You say he would have seen a drop over 82 games but so would everyone else in PPG.

As with his PPG in his partial seasons, it is not a huge stretch to make a claim on his Assists per game. He would not have lead the league in scoring on assists alone but you can certainly point to him as being arguably the best playmaker of his era along with being arguably the 2nd best goalscorer of his era.
Oh, I know others would drop as well. But 48g vs 36g is still a difference, so you would expect Crosby to drop slightly more. Also given that that year, his assists vs goals ratio was skewed more heavily towards assists, I would think he would have upped his goal rate while his assist rate would drop ever so slightly.

Also, nothing I said contradicts your second paragraph, I am just pointing out something that was factually untrue

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Visually speaking McDavid in 3rd period and OT vs Caps was downright scary. Looked like the best player to ever lace them up.

Ovi was firing on all cylinders and looked scary too but damn.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

giphy.gif

Haha, yeah, sure...

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Crosby. I don't know if Crosby makes things look more difficult (McDavid does get a lot of points), but just watching visually, the dominance that we saw from Sid in those 39 games is something I haven't seen in a long, long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad