McDavid reaching the end of his rope?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mcdavid's dad flat out said that's not his character. He doesn't want to be known as the one that just bailed when the going got tough.

I agree but there is no gun to his head to keep him here when his contract expires. That was more my point and fear. The next GM has to make it happen or no chance McDavid sticks around. He honoured his obligations, therefore he sets his own destiny and chooses a team not led by a Klown show.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yakupov, Pakarinen, Slepychev probably having a laugh in KHL. The dodged a worse bullet.

Talbot traded, Pulju walks, Nurse probably traded before deadline.

Not that theres much left anyway.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
To think

In the 3.5 years Chia ran ship, he's taken the the best player in the world and made the team just as bad as the DoD ones

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I agree but there is no gun to his head to keep him here when his contract expires. That was more my point and fear. The next GM has to make it happen or no chance McDavid sticks around. He honoured his obligations, therefore he sets his own destiny and chooses a team not led by a Klown show.

That's still 7 years.

Reactions: Mick David

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To think

In the 3.5 years Chia ran ship, he's taken the the best player in the world and made the team just as bad as the DoD ones

He also was gifted basically Draisaitl and Nurse too since those guys really didn't play/impact much on the previous regime. Heck you could throw Klefbom in there too.

So he was gifted McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, and Klefbom and the cap room to sign Sekera with.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
With all due respect to your opinion I believe you are so wrong about the influence he wields. While I don't think it is in his DNA to request a trade, IF he wanted out he would be able to force the issue without question and his reputation would merely grow as he would probably be traded to a major US market.

And if you dont think the NHL would love to have him playing in a major US market your kidding yourself. The Rangers or Kings would offer up whatever we wanted to make it happen with full NHL backing and support. It happened with Gretzky (albeit under different circumstances) it can happen with McDavid. The NHL would be all over it and us fans in Edmonton would be back to wiping our tears with old 97 jerseys.
Yeh..I suspect Oilers fans would do a lot more than just wipe tears off. There would seriously be riots if this management trades away McDavid. Nicholson, Gretzky nothing will be spared since they are already in deep shit that needs to be cleaned up.
The team moves to a glorious US city before McD gets moved IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Won’t happen.

How many times did Lemieux and Yzerman make the playoffs when they were young?

Did they ever ask for a trade?

This is 97’s team. He WANTS to turn it around and he will.

You could add Jarome Iginla to that list too. Missed the playoffs in his like 7 first full seasons (95 was a cup of coffee as a rook, too raw to really take that in).

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
“Losing is a disease…as contagious as polio. Losing is a disease…as contagious as syphilis. Losing is a disease…as contagious as bubonic plague... attacking one…but infecting all. But curable.”

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
You seriously want to see him ask out don't you?
you're terrible at thinking you know what i think. of course i don't want to see him gone. i'm just speculating on what may be coming down the road. he's obviously frustrated, there appears to be no signs that this will be a quick turn around.... will connor, even though he's a stanfd up kid, be patient enough to have his legacy ruined .... have another 3+ years at least wasted without knowing if things will change? guys like him have huge pride and do care a huge amount about their legacy... it's part of what makes them great... either way it won't be good... if he stays and nothing changes it will completely demoralize him and he would might be a shell of himself .... which would be sad AF.

i want the best for this organization but i'm not afraid to call it as i see it. i hope this team can get a completely new management and turn things around quick or at the very least start showing an upward trend fast because i really fear losing connor. though i have said if somehow it's best for the team that we trade him and obtain a king's ransom in drafts, prospects and vets and our team is better short and long term, i'd be fine with it. i just want to see the cup here again.... one way or another.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Build a REAL SKILLED team starting NOW. There is no other way, they're not going to be a defensive powerhouse or some grindy "character" team. You can't sit around for another 4-5 years waiting for Drew Doughty 2.0 to show up. Even in this draft year there's no D-man that pops off the page and even if there was you're looking at 3-4 years to develop him. It's not happening. You build something like the Leafs, that might be possible/doable in a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: SavesFromKosko

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Build a REAL SKILLED team starting NOW. There is no other way, they're not going to be a defensive powerhouse or some grindy "character" team. You can't sit around for another 4-5 years waiting for Drew Doughty 2.0 to show up. Even in this draft year there's no D-man that pops off the page and even if there was you're looking at 3-4 years to develop him. It's not happening. You build something like the Leafs, that might be possible/doable in a few years.

Leafs sucked for 5 years. So did the Jets.. Those teams all didnt have much for unmovable overpaid vets tho..

2 years to fix it? Lol.. It's gonna take 5 .

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
If McDavid demands a trade, I'm done with the Oilers.
I think I’d become a casual hockey fan and cheer for 97 in the playoffs. Boston is my second team but the passion would never be the same as a 97-led Oilers team. Growing up in a hockey-mad city, the idea of becoming completely disinterested is very sad to think about. No return for 97 would satisfy me. You don’t trade away a generational talent, you do all you can to build a competitive team around that player.

I love Connor and the way he handles himself but it’s time. I’ve said it before, he needs to pull an Eichel and challenge this org openly. Edmontonians would love him for it and that little puke katz will hopefully make a business decision and clean house.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
With all due respect to your opinion I believe you are so wrong about the influence he wields. While I don't think it is in his DNA to request a trade, IF he wanted out he would be able to force the issue without question and his reputation would merely grow as he would probably be traded to a major US market.

And if you dont think the NHL would love to have him playing in a major US market your kidding yourself. The Rangers or Kings would offer up whatever we wanted to make it happen with full NHL backing and support. It happened with Gretzky (albeit under different circumstances) it can happen with McDavid. The NHL would be all over it and us fans in Edmonton would be back to wiping our tears with old 97 jerseys.
I’ve posted before that my disgust with the Toronto media began in 1985. During the intermission of a playoff game the talking heads on HNIC were discussing what a good idea it would be for the league if the Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky. He belonged in a market like New York, Toronto or LA and he was being wasted in Edmonton. I thought it was quite a slap in the face to Oilers fans.

Figured I’d bring it up because I heard the same conversation today on Bob McCown’s Primetime show on Sportsnet. Bob brought the topic up and suggested McDavid should ask for a trade if he hasn’t already. It was talked about with Jeff Blair, Arash Madani and Richard Dietsch. I’m a regular listener to this show and it’s the first time I’ve heard it talked about before. Blair obviously loved the idea (he was the idiot who thought in 2014 that the league should have rigged the draft to give McDavid to the Leafs because they deserve him), he thought just the story itself would be so much fun to cover and everyone would love it. They concluded that it wasn’t “if” McDavid would ask for a trade but “when”. Was probably a ten minute conversation and they were at least five minutes in before Madani had the sense to apologize to Oiler fans for talking about this.

I didn’t think this was much of a possibility before but I suspect if the Toronto media is talking about it then there’s probably a reason for it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Leafs sucked for 5 years. So did the Jets.. Those teams all didnt have much for unmovable overpaid vets tho..

2 years to fix it? Lol.. It's gonna take 5 .
I tend to agree the team will be in trouble for awhile.

But honestly, this league is so volatile in terms of successes and failures of teams.

The Islanders have gone from giving up the most goals in the league to giving up the fewest in the span of one season.

And there most noteworthy move was losing John Tavares in free agency.

All it took was hiring the right coach and lucking out with Robin Lehner. Although Greiss who was already there last season has numbers that are just as good.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I tend to agree the team will be in trouble for awhile.

But honestly, this league is so volatile in terms of successes and failures of teams.

The Islanders have gone from giving up the most goals in the league to giving up the fewest in the span of one season.

And there most noteworthy move was losing John Tavares in free agency.

All it took was hiring the right coach and lucking out with Robin Lehner. Although Greiss who was already there last season has numbers that are just as good.
Good hires can make all the difference in the world. Not sure there’s a Lamourillo and Trotz out there and even if there was if they’d want to come here.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad