McDavid reaching the end of his rope?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
If McDavid demands a trade, I'm done with the Oilers.

Being a fan of the game, not just the oilers, I’d actually be happy. He has the chance to be probably the second best player to ever step foot on the ice, and he will have to spend what? Possibly 6 years with seeing the playoffs once? That’s saying the oilers are able to shake this toxic curse on them, which we’ve seen not happen for 13 years.

He could have such an amazing legacy to the game, and if Edmonton doesn’t figure it out within a year, they will completely waste his prime here trying to botch another rebuild

Reactions: oljimmy and MikeYEG

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Being a fan of the game, not just the oilers, I’d actually be happy. He has the chance to be probably the second best player to ever step foot on the ice, and he will have to spend what? Possibly 6 years with seeing the playoffs once? That’s saying the oilers are able to shake this toxic curse on them, which we’ve seen not happen for 13 years.

He could have such an amazing legacy to the game, and if Edmonton doesn’t figure it out within a year, they will completely waste his prime here trying to botch another rebuild

Agreed, I’m hoping he can move on from the Oilers sooner rather than later. I’d enjoy watching him play on a good team.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm not worried. Nicholson is on it. He will find the right guy or guys for POHO and GM that most importantly don't disturb the culture of this organization.
Nicholson's first priority is cleaning the Edmonton water quality. Once he's got that done, he'll be able to spend three or four years looking for a winger who can score and not finding one.

Reactions: oobga

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
He is a minus player, who has made bad defensive mistakes last two games. I wonder why nobody isn't questioning his leadership and defensive play. Funny how untouchable he is.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
He is a minus player, who has made bad defensive mistakes last two games. I wonder why nobody isn't questioning his leadership and defensive play. Funny how untouchable he is.

I don’t even know with this take

The guy is the best player in the world. He essentially plays 5 on 3 every time he touches the ice with this roster. What would you like him to do, be the only offensive threat most nights AND play as the number 1 d we don’t have? Take a lap man. We suck, but it ain’t on Connor.

As for the OP. That interview last night says it all. “Yeah, whatever”. He’s sick of this season. You can’t deny it. “We lost again, whatever.” Only difference is THIS time if we trade the disgruntled young superstar, the NHL best be calling Houston and telling them they have an NHL team for sale

Reactions: MikeYEG

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Nicholson's first priority is cleaning the Edmonton water quality. Once he's got that done, he'll be able to spend three or four years looking for a winger who can score and not finding one.
Ever since they took the magnesium out of the water Lucic has no mean streak.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

..lol ..We found the problem!!!! Nicholson's right!! ;)

April 12, 2018

CLICK HERE>More sewage dumped into Edmonton’s North Saskatchewan — but things are looking up | The Star

EDMONTON — The volume of untreated sewage and rainwater being dumped into the North Saskatchewan River watershed increased between 2015 and 2016, according to Environment Canada data provided to StarMetro.
The amount released has been trending down overall since 2013 but rose between 2015 and 2016, from 3.9 million cubic metres to 5.7 million cubic metres.

That means pathogens — bacteria, viruses and other harmful micro-organisms — can end up in waterways used for recreation or even drinking water.
“Presumably, most people are sensible enough to understand that when the river is running high and hard, they shouldn’t be accessing it,” said Tim le Riche, spokesperson for EPCOR. The company runs Edmonton’s Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
So how did it feel to write your worst post since joining in 2007?
Pretty good :)

I know +/- is a tricky stat, but I really do think there are some flaws on his defensive game, and nobody is talking about them. Averybody else but McD gets crapped on all the time. Just think he shouldn't be above critique.

On a sidenote: Aho looked fantastic, and has looked the whole season. He may not yet be at McD level, but he's getting pretty damn close.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Connor Hates losing.

If this team still is in the dumps in 2-3 years, it's not crazy.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I know +/- is a tricky stat, but I really do think there are some flaws on his defensive game, and nobody is talking about them. Averybody else but McD gets crapped on all the time. Just think he shouldn't be above critique.

On a sidenote: Aho looked fantastic, and has looked the whole season. He may not yet be at McD level, but he's getting pretty damn close.
It’s your hole. Feel free to keep digging.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
McDavid can eat one if he demands a trade. He signed for $100mil and is not entitled to crap, he needs to be a more vocal leader and play both ways. For $100 Mil he needs to be better and lead this team into a winning record regardless of who his line mates are. No more pouty face.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018

You should quit while you're only a bit behind. McDavids defensive game was excellent in 16-17 and 17-18. He wasn't expected to be the only offensive threat on the team then. He's pretty much expected to be the entire team right now.

Quit trying to troll, you're bad at it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Pretty dumb posts, man. Stop while you're behind.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

there are people questioning his leadership and play. however in the overall picture he absolutely deserves a pass and definitely the furthest thing from our main problems. he's frustrated and his overall game is slipping. he wants so much to win and be in the playoffs that he's overextending himself here and there and sometimes doing the wrong things (esp recently). this is not good for his continual development.

the last few games have not been good. the two games prior he and leon were making mistakes that one could argue cost us games. and ya it might not be good for the room when connor is showing such frustrations seemingly directed at the lack of depth on the team when he and leon may have cost them games recently with poor d play. i don't feel he should be untouchable but in the big picture he's been doing so much for us. he's cracking a bit under this s*** regime this organization has assembled and it's making him look less than stellar right now. not a good situation.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
From the Spector article

“Yeah, whatever,” said Connor McDavid, who is growing impatient on a team that has won one of its last 10 games. “We’re generating chances but we’re not finding a way to score.
“We’ve been doing this since the break, minus one or two games, where we play the right way but can’t seem to find a balance. Lots of chances and shots only gets you so far.”

Sounds an awful lot like a guy whose reaching the end of his rope with his team who just cannot score to save their lives, or just pissed that he didn't bury chances he had vs Pittsburgh and Carolina, or both?

Either way, we will be seeing him skate into the sunset in a few years time a la Mike Reilly walked from the Esks a few days ago, or John Tavares if our next GM and management group doesn't hit it out of the park starting this summer.

Yeah, McDavid will likely be gone at the end of next season. He's a stand-up guy, so will give this gong-show of an organization 1 more try. When they fail again next year, he'll quietly ask for a trade after the season.

This will also bring about the end of my support for this organization in any way. I'll walk away from the Oilers after this, and the NHL really cause I could never bring myself to cheer for another team. The OBC is essentially ending my being a fan of the NHL, that's how bad they are. That is saying something, I've been a fan for over 35 years, basically my entire life. But it ends when McDavid asks for a trade, full stop.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

His defensive play is a work in progress but you can say that for every 21 year old. It seems to me that his defensive play has lapsed as the season has worn on and I attribute that to his playing 4-5 minutes a game at an insanely fast pace and carrying the entire team on his back, which has worn him down both physically and mentally.

As for his leadership, he is mature beyond his years and his leadership on and off the ice has been exemplary from what I have witnessed and from all accounts.

He is untouchable but not without criticism for those mistakes, but without McDavid the Oilers maybe get 40 points. Maybe only 30, we are that bad.

Reactions: MikeYEG

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Love Aho, excellent player and has looked good for a while. But ease it up a bit. You are comparing players the same age where one has 2 art ross, 2 pearson, 3 1st AS, 1 Hart .... There is a considerable gap between most players and McD. That is not being down on other great players, it is just a fact, which honestly is not confined to Oilers fans/media.

Of course you coming into hfoil with it is a bit odd, unless you're here to stir something up (which obviously you already have).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yeah, McDavid will likely be gone at the end of next season. He's a stand-up guy, so will give this gong-show of an organization 1 more try. When they fail again next year, he'll quietly ask for a trade after the season.

This will also bring about the end of my support for this organization in any way. I'll walk away from the Oilers after this, and the NHL really cause I could never bring myself to cheer for another team. The OBC is essentially ending my being a fan of the NHL, that's how bad they are. That is saying something, I've been a fan for over 35 years, basically my entire life. But it ends when McDavid asks for a trade, full stop.
I'll bet you anything he won't be gone :nod:

I know you are a resident pessimist on hfoil (although it's getting more main stream these days :laugh:), but thinking McD two years into his new deal will leave I think is too much even for you.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If McDavid demands a trade, I'm done with the Oilers.

Well if they actually give in and trade him to a new team, yeah I'd be done too. I'll cheer for whatever new team he goes to. It was a fun ride at times, but I can't do another rebuild/retool/whatever the **** the Oilers want to call it.

Same

**** this ****

Yup. Same

As much as I hate to say it I think I would be as well. I lived through the dismantling of the Dynasty teams. I aint doing this **** again.

Winnipeg would move from my #2 team to my #1.

If this thought is so prevalent (I'm in the same boat, and have commented multiple times on this subject in the past) among the hard core of hard core fans on HFboards, how prevalent would it be in the "general population"? I know that Katz doesn't give a single, solitary, shit about whether this team wins or not, but you would hope he cares about making money. When McDavid asks for a trade, this team might not ever come back from it, it might be the end of his money-making-machine. He'll lose an entire generation or 2 of fans. I'll never be a fan again, and if I have my way, neither will son.

Katz, as stupid as he is, and as careless as he has been with the management of this team, surely to god must care about making money? All the evidence points the other way though, as the entirety of the OBC is still employed, and is still making terrible hockey decisions.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If this thought is so prevalent (I'm in the same boat, and have commented multiple times on this subject in the past) among the hard core of hard core fans on HFboards, how prevalent would it be in the "general population"? I know that Katz doesn't give a single, solitary, **** about whether this team wins or not, but you would hope he cares about making money. When McDavid asks for a trade, this team might not ever come back from it, it might be the end of his money-making-machine. He'll lose an entire generation or 2 of fans. I'll never be a fan again, and if I have my way, neither will son.

Katz, as stupid as he is, and as careless as he has been with the management of this team, surely to god must care about making money? All the evidence points the other way though, as the entirety of the OBC is still employed, and is still making terrible hockey decisions.
I'll probably start cheering for the Canucks tbh.

Reactions: vcanuck

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
His defensive play is a work in progress but you can say that for every 21 year old. It seems to me that his defensive play has lapsed as the season has worn on and I attribute that to his playing 4-5 minutes a game at an insanely fast pace and carrying the entire team on his back, which has worn him down both physically and mentally.

As for his leadership, he is mature beyond his years and his leadership on and off the ice has been exemplary from what I have witnessed and from all accounts.

He is untouchable but not without criticism for those mistakes, but without McDavid the Oilers maybe get 40 points. Maybe only 30, we are that bad.
I don't think it is that bad, without McD we'd still have Hall and Eberle on the team. Or were you referring to this team without McD (i.e. not replacing his 12.5M cap)? In that case I agree.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'll bet you anything he won't be gone :nod:

I know you are a resident pessimist on hfoil (although it's getting more main stream these days :laugh:), but thinking McD two years into his new deal will leave I think is too much even for you.

When we finish in the bottom-10 next year, which IS going to happen, McDavid will ask for a trade in the off-season. Yeah, I'll make a bet around that, name your terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->