McDavid or Crosby (read)

McDavid or Crosby

• Total voters

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid has Crosby beat in terms of regular season results. Crosby was the better playoff performer at that point but sample size comes into play when looking at playoff numbers.

Sample size of what? Is the Stanley Cup awarded to the best team who wins the most times in a sample size of games?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Sample size of what? Is the Stanley Cup awarded to the best team who wins the most times in a sample size of games?

I’m going to attempt to explain this in the simplest way.

The more games played= the larger the sample size.

The regular season has more games played. It’s the bigger sample size.

The playoffs have less games played. Thus, it’s a smaller sample size.

It’s not really hard to understand. Then again, you’re the same person who decides that McDavids 13 game sample size in playoffs is a big enough sample size to completely write the player off.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I’m going to attempt to explain this in the simplest way.

The more games played= the larger the sample size.

The regular season has more games played. It’s the bigger sample size.

The playoffs have less games played. Thus, it’s a smaller sample size.

It’s not really hard to understand. Then again, you’re the same person who decides that McDavids 13 game sample size in playoffs is a big enough sample size to completely write the player off.

Like it or not, playoff hockey is viewed much differently than the regular seasonhence why noone cares about winning the President's Trophy.

McDavid's 13 games of playoff hockey is not a sample size of anything since his playoff career consists of 13 games.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I didn’t watch much Crosby in those years so I can’t really say, but it’s hard to imagine him being better than McDavid in his first 3 years when the Crosby that I’ve seen has never, at any point, been on the level that McDavid is now.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I didn’t watch much Crosby in those years so I can’t really say, but it’s hard to imagine him being better than McDavid in his first 3 years when the Crosby that I’ve seen has never, at any point, been on the level that McDavid is now.
The only thing Crosby has on McDavid after their first three seasons in the NHL is playoff team success. Oh ya and total points, while ignoring the vastly different way the game was called in the mid 2000's. They're the only thing that Crosby fans(of which I have always been) can bring up now. McDavid has been the better individual player, although it is close obviously.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Funny that almost every voters who voted McDavid are either Oliers fans, Caps fans/OV fans or kids who didn’t saw Crosby’s first 3 years

Reactions: Son Goku

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
What are you talking about? This never happened.

Peak Ovechkin beat Crosby in points because of Crosby's injury.

I see you're easily distracted by shiny objects. Hockey is about more than just skating really fast in a straight line and not scoring. Just because McDavid is more exciting, doesn't mean he is/was better.

Crosby's game was better. Get over yourself.

From 05/06-09/10 OV beat Crosby in pts 4/5 and PPG 4/5..so yeah, that's a lie.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am gonna say Crosby.

Reasons:

• When Crosby started playing there wasn't much focus on offense and there was still a lot of stuff allowed; recent times has been made easier for the offensive players (ex: smaller goalie equipment; net size, etc...)

• Today there is so much focus on "nutrition" and "training"; if Crosby had similar kind of information available back in the day; he would have been even more explosive

• Crosby plays a more complete game; McDavid is not there (yet);

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I am gonna say Crosby.

Reasons:

• When Crosby started playing there wasn't much focus on offense and there was still a lot of stuff allowed; recent times has been made easier for the offensive players (ex: smaller goalie equipment; net size, etc...)

• Today there is so much focus on "nutrition" and "training"; if Crosby had similar kind of information available back in the day; he would have been even more explosive

• Crosby plays a more complete game; McDavid is not there (yet);

--check the league gpg when Crosby started playing. They called penalties on everything

--you make it sound like Crosby played 30 years ago. Even if he did, we compare how they performed vs their peers.

--not at that time

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
--check the league gpg when Crosby started playing. They called penalties on everything

--you make it sound like Crosby played 30 years ago. Even if he did, we compare how they performed vs their peers.

--not at that time

- is the goalie equipment when McDavid entered the League the same as when Crosby entered the league?

- is the net size (especially behind the bet) bigger or smaller when McDavid entered the league compared to when Crosby entered the League?

since you are a caps fan you hate for Crosby is understood. Don't worry I love Ovi too (if he aint playing against the Leafs); here is a recent article on Ovi go ahead and have fun :laugh:

The Russian Leading a U.S. Hockey Boom

P.S. We all know who is better than everyone. His name is Auston Matthews ;)

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Peak Ovechkin wiped the floor with him. Cool. Before McDavid got injured he was top 3 in points in his rookie year.

I can understand why you would think Ovechkin was better at the time. But. Nobody wiped the floor with Crosby. This is a stupid/terrible post. I'm not sure which word describes it better. Both are applicable.

I'm biased, so I'm going with Crosby, but McDavid's team is terrible.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Funny, you look at people who voted Crosby and it’s McDavid haters, Crosby fan boys, and Pens fans.

I mean, it goes both ways right? Is that what you’re trying to get at?

Technically, there are 6 Pens fans who voted Sid and 10 Oilers fans who voted McDavid :popcorn:

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Wow, you are the first poster I've ever seen that claims Crosby is clearly better than six time league MVP Gordie Howe.

You are also the only poster I've ever seen claim being behind two other players makes you 2nd.

The thing about Howe is that he was playing in a poor era and to be frank, was not on the same level skill wise even if you adjust for the era. He was a gritty guy with good skill, but it would be a travesty to compare him to Crosby if you discount sentimental factors.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The only thing Crosby has on McDavid after their first three seasons in the NHL is playoff team success. Oh ya and total points, while ignoring the vastly different way the game was called in the mid 2000's. They're the only thing that Crosby fans(of which I have always been) can bring up now. McDavid has been the better individual player, although it is close obviously.

The concept that a player can influence team success by leading the playoffs in scoring seems to be lost on you.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby was better at powerplay but McDavid easily has an edge at even strength. He scored way more even strength points, and created way more even strength scoring chances than Crosby ever has last year.

As most of the game is played at ES, it makes sense that the eye-test would favour McDavid instead of Crosby. At the very least offensively.

If McDavid was better at ES, why was Crosby's 5v5 per-minute production higher for his first 3 years despite having worse linemates?

Great catch. People lovc to play the "give McDavid more PPs and he scores more" card while ignoring that Crosby played considerably less at ES than McDavid did.

Their point totals and PPGs, relative to their respective peers, speak for themselves.

The obvious difference between the two is playoff performances.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The thing about Howe is that he was playing in a poor era and to be frank, was not on the same level skill wise even if you adjust for the era. He was a gritty guy with good skill, but it would be a travesty to compare him to Crosby if you discount sentimental factors.

Wow. I can’t believe you doubled down on that.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad