McDavid or Crosby (read)

McDavid or Crosby

• Total voters

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Crosby is being way underrated on these boards; it's clear that in the history of hockey he is only 2nd to Wayne and Mario in the reckoning of the best forwards of all time..

Similarly, he is being underrrated here by many fans, for sure unwittingly. For we have a lot of people who due to their age or other similar factors have not been able to view Crosby in the setting he should be..

In the end, Crosby is better than McDavid at the moment, but it must be said that McDavid might have an even higher peak than anything Crosby has done so far. But we shall see about that.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McDavid has Crosby beat in terms of regular season results. Crosby was the better playoff performer at that point but sample size comes into play when looking at playoff numbers.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
McDavid right now is better defensively then Crosby EVER was. It is a huge misconception that Crosby was some defensive beast, he never was/is.

Defense isn't the only thing that well rounded means. Crosby's offensive skill set was more well rounded

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Regular season is a slight edge to McDavid. Their second seasons are very close and basically a wash, but the difference between McDavid's 3rd season and Crosby's rookie year is greater than the difference between Crosby's 3rd year and McDavid's rookie year. (Comparing those instead of straight up due to health reasons). Crosby's significant playoff edge I think pushes it back on him though, again very slightly.

Edit: read it more in terms of what they've done than who they are as players. I would probably take McDavid then. I think Crosby's more rounded offensive game lended itself to the playoffs better at an earlier age but I expect McDavid to look like himself there once he makes it again. Meanwhile Sid wasn't quite the same in terms of explosiveness after his 3rd year injury and he never really built on his 2nd year in terms of offense. McDavid's point totals compared to league wide scoring were also down in his 3rd year, but I think he was better as a player. While he needs to take some heat for the PP, the underlying numbers suggest his production didn't represent his abilities, and I suspect he will show that level next year in a way Crosby didn't until his 5th year.

Last edited:

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
I think I'm still in the McDavid camp, even though I'm pretty big on playoffs. But if McDavid was playing on a stronger playoff team I think chances are his offensive numbers would've been lower.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Defense isn't the only thing that well rounded means. Crosby's offensive skill set was more well rounded

What do you mean his offensive skill set was more rounded? As in goal scoring or as in the ability to play a different style of offense?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What do you mean his offensive skill set was more rounded? As in goal scoring or as in the ability to play a different style of offense?

Different styles. McDavid was actually a better goalscorer this year than year 1-3 Sid, but I think Sid's overall skillset was more diverse. McDavid's domination obviously isn't solely due to his explosiveness and ability to play at that speed, but I'm not sure what else he really has on Sid, who excelled at everything. Sid was also an unbelievable skater, but was also so good in the corners, cycling and protecting the puck, as well as in front of the net, and going to the dirty areas.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Different styles. McDavid was actually a better goalscorer this year than year 1-3 Sid, but I think Sid's overall skillset was more diverse. McDavid's domination obviously isn't solely due to his explosiveness and ability to play at that speed, but I'm not sure what else he really has on Sid, who excelled at everything. Sid was also an unbelievable skater, but was also so good in the corners, cycling and protecting the puck, as well as in front of the net, and going to the dirty areas.

Yeah I would agree. I think McDavid is the far more explosive skater but Crosby had such good balance and was so good on his edges that he could dominate in the corners in a way McDavid has yet to be able to yet. And yeah Crosby goes to areas that McDavid won’t touch consistently.

Reactions: Son Goku

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Yes but it's intellectually lazy to claim that OV "wiped the floor" with Crosby. Crosby was injured.

Most people believe 07-08 to 09-10 Ovechkin peak was the highest peak of any forward post lockout, including Crosby.

In those three years Ovechkin finished 1st All Star team each season, won 2 Hart Trophies, won the Pearson/Lindsay each season, won two Rocker trophies [65 goals and 56 goal seasons], and won an Art Ross.

That's not only the best peak of the modern era, but it's one of the best peaks of all time. You can make any claim for Crosby you want, but Ovechkin was widely considered the best player in the world during that stretch [rightfully so].

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I see you're easily distracted by shiny objects. Hockey is about more than just skating really fast in a straight line and not scoring. Just because McDavid is more exciting, doesn't mean he is/was better.
Crosby was better at powerplay but McDavid easily has an edge at even strength. He scored way more even strength points, and created way more even strength scoring chances than Crosby ever has last year.

As most of the game is played at ES, it makes sense that the eye-test would favour McDavid instead of Crosby. At the very least offensively.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Crosby is being way underrated on these boards; it's clear that in the history of hockey he is only 2nd to Wayne and Mario in the reckoning of the best forwards of all time..

Similarly, he is being underrrated here by many fans, for sure unwittingly. For we have a lot of people who due to their age or other similar factors have not been able to view Crosby in the setting he should be..

In the end, Crosby is better than McDavid at the moment, but it must be said that McDavid might have an even higher peak than anything Crosby has done so far. But we shall see about that.

you should brush up on your history. There is a guy that has 6 AR's, winning 4 straight by 30% or more, which no player in this league has approached.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It’s close, but let’s nit forget mcdavid led the league in even strength scoring by an almost 20% margin. If the oilers PP didn’t suck he’d easily have had 120 points this year.

There’s literally nothing more the guy can do to lead that team into the playoffs

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Wow, you are the first poster I've ever seen that claims Crosby is clearly better than six time league MVP Gordie Howe.

You are also the only poster I've ever seen claim being behind two other players makes you 2nd.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Crosby is being way underrated on these boards; it's clear that in the history of hockey he is only 2nd to Wayne and Mario in the reckoning of the best forwards of all time.

Most hockey experts have Gordie Howe way ahead of Crosby. Howe has him beat in just about every facet of the game: offense, defense, physical play, intimidation, reliability, and likely longevity.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Cool. Different time with different amount of penalties and scoring. Now do even strength totals that are more indicative of the stats.
Making playoffs is a team game. McDavid won two scoring titles in three years. Same amount Crosby winning 13. Also McDavid did it going against a Crosby. Crosby never had McDavid to go against untill the last three years which McDavid was clearly better.
Crosby had Thornton with 125 pts and 114 pts

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Crosby was better at powerplay but McDavid easily has an edge at even strength. He scored way more even strength points, and created way more even strength scoring chances than Crosby ever has last year.

As most of the game is played at ES, it makes sense that the eye-test would favour McDavid instead of Crosby. At the very least offensively.
If McDavid was better at ES, why was Crosby's 5v5 per-minute production higher for his first 3 years despite having worse linemates?

Reactions: Son Goku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad