Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
If McDavid signs for 14 I think he can kiss a Cup goodbye. Kid was pretty distraught at not winning the Cup in his draft year in Junior. I think he'll go for a $9.7 mil deal to help the team. $14 million just assures you don't sign another high profile player.

No way he signs for less than Kane/Toews.

He's worth pretty much anything. I think he will get 12.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You'd appreciate Sid a lot less if someone wasn't smart enough to be sure he could be extended prior to the CBA being changed.

Sid took very close to max on his first deal (17.3% of the cap, max is 20), and got max on his second deal for the first few UFA years (12M of a 60M cap).

Not even close. A) he didn't get the max, because the cap was over 60m when he signed that deal, and rose in the following years and B) he didn't even try to max out that contract, as his term/salary isn't close to what others have done on similar contracts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
McDavid isn't allowed to sign for more than 8 years. Take out the last 4 years of the Crosby deal and you see his "equal" contract.
All the prime years after a great ELC Performance and nothing to take down the average at the end of the contract when he is 34-36.

Going by the max of 8 years during his prime the Crosby Cap Hit would have been 10.8 Million starting 2013-14.

Note: I like the Crosby contract and the structure.

I doubt it. That would be 10.8m, and even Malkin took less than that. Crosby's contract is structured the way it is because of him wanting the term, the team wanting the long term deal and both being very happy with his cap hit being 8.7m.

I also doubt that given that Toews and Kane make 10.5m, that McDavid will sign for something that's just slightly over that.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I doubt it. That would be 10.8m, and even Malkin took less than that. Crosby's contract is structured the way it is because of him wanting the term, the team wanting the long term deal and both being very happy with his cap hit being 8.7m.

I also doubt that given that Toews and Kane make 10.5m, that McDavid will sign for something that's just slightly over that.

Where are these numbers coming from? If you divide $104.4m by 8 years, that's a $13m cap hit.

If Crosby cares that much about his cap hit being $8.7m, then why not take $8.7m as a yearly salary? He likes the numbers 8 and 7, but not that much. His contract is structured the way it is because of the back diving years, which helps the Penguins more than Crosby. He'll see that money one way or another. He'll either play through those years, or go on LTIR.

If McDavid goes max contract early, it will hurt the Oilers in the short term, but assuming the cap keeps going up, will help to some extent a little later. If he takes less now, and sets himself up to cash in at 25 or 27 or whatever, that will help the Oilers in the short term, but probably hurt to some extent in the long term.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Edmonton might have to pay a little premium tho to keep McDavid out in Edmonton. Maybe that depressing look when Edmonton won the draft lottery was an indication of you better pay me or I leave :laugh:

Yeah because as a 18 year old going on National TV to 10s of millions of people wouldn't have uptight. Get your head screwed back on.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Not even close. A) he didn't get the max, because the cap was over 60m when he signed that deal, and rose in the following years and B) he didn't even try to max out that contract, as his term/salary isn't close to what others have done on similar contracts.

His cap hit has been a steady 8.7m for literally a decade. :laugh:

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
All depends if he wants to win or get the biggest payday possible. 14M for one player is going to make it difficult for the Oilers to fill out a competitive roster.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

He got max for the first few years of his second deal. 12M salary on a 60M cap. Both contracts Crosby have signed are pretty close to max if you take out the dummy years. First one was 17.3%, second one was just about 18% of the cap at the time for the first 8 years of his contract.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Best player in the world would deserve highest paid salary.

He can say No to 14mil but all 30 other GMs would be lining up to give him what he wants.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
So McDavid is going to sign for under 13%? Crosby signed for around 18%, just to have a vanity contract. There is no way that McDavid leaves 7%, or $5.25 million on the table, especially while foregoing three years of free agency.

McDavid can sign for whatever he wants - if he wants 20%, they'll give it to him.

That said, after watching the awards ceremony, and with his past history with teams like the Otters, you really think that he'll handcuff the team and his own chances to win?

Who here thinks that money is what drives Connor McDavid?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McDavid can sign for whatever he wants - if he wants 20%, they'll give it to him.

That said, after watching the awards ceremony, and with his past history with teams like the Otters, you really think that he'll handcuff the team and his own chances to win?

Who here thinks that money is what drives Connor McDavid?
The poster you're replying to was convinced last summer (and still is) that McDavid wouldn't sign an early extension with the Oilers because he would want to field offer sheets in 2018, so...

I think the McDavid and Draisaitl extensions may be done or close to being finalized based on Chiarelli's comments tonight about the Russell signing.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
No way he signs for less than Kane/Toews.

He's worth pretty much anything. I think he will get 12.

Toews and Kane both signed 5yr deals at 6.3M per after their ELC
Stamkos and Crosby both also signed 5yr deals after ELC

McDavid will make his 14M per when he is burning off his UFA years. No way he gets that much his first contract after ELC.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Bad for the Oilers and bad for the NHL in general.
Biggest losers would be the fans.
It was bad enough when 40 point slugs started getting 4 and 5 million dollar deals.

14 million for the best player will unfortunately raise the stakes on a bunch of other contracts and have a negative ripple effect.

In the end it's us slugs buying tickets and merch that have to flip the bill.

No thanks.

If he wants to win a cup he shouldn't take more than 11 million.
The history of the NHL is full of players being screwed by owners but we're well past things being made right.

The top player in the league shouldn't get more then 7 million. Everyone else should be under that and then people could afford tickets long term.

Lockout here we come...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad