Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
McDavid will be signed next week nobody can offer sheet him till july 1st 2018 . Oilers would have not signed Russell unless Draisaitl and McDavid agreed on salaries.
;)

I doubt that, they signed Russell because he's a UFA and they would have lost control of the situation, that's why they paid a bit of a premium for him.

I assume that if the Draisaitl contract is over 7 sure, they've probably agreed. But I doubt that the McDavid deal is close to done and that's why Chia had that panicky don't try to snap up Draisaitl comment.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I doubt that, they signed Russell because he's a UFA and they would have lost control of the situation, that's why they paid a bit of a premium for him.

I assume that if the Draisaitl contract is over 7 sure, they've probably agreed. But I doubt that the McDavid deal is close to done and that's why Chia had that panicky don't try to snap up Draisaitl comment.
Nope sorry Chia said in a interview about Russell we are interested in re-signing him but as we told other player we want to sign we will get to them after we work out Draisaitl and Mcdavid as it was well known these two were going to be signing extensions at same time. I trust our Gm on this one.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
The team's leverage is the cap and what flexibility is needed to build around McDavid. I seriously doubt that he'd sign a max deal anywhere. The team would be handcuffed. 10-12 million is more than reasonable and I suspect it will come in closer to 10 than 12. That's who McDavid is. He wants to be a winner.

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Worth every penny. Every team in the league would do this 35 times out of 35. There is no reason whatsoever for him to take a discount.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
McDavid's certainly worth the max, but for Edmonton's sake, I hope he doesn't get it. Gonna be pretty hard to build/keep a solid team around him if he's taking up just under 20% of your cap.

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
McDavid is the best and should be paid among the best, plain and simple. It's not his job to manage the cap and take home town discount's, that's up to the GM to convince other players on the team and pending UFA's to do that. That's what good GM's do.

Question.....if McDavid signed for 14 Million tomorrow, would he still be the highest player 5 years from now or would other players surpass him? Also can't see the cap staying the same so as it goes up there is your cap savings, if managed right.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Crosby's second contract would be 13M with today's cap, so that's roughly what I'm expecting.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Outsider fan, so my thoughts are based solely on floating opinionated thought. But don't see his contract being pushed to 14M, he'll make Toews or more, but not all the way to 14M. Some where between 10.5M and 12M. But I don't see him being signed under the Toews/Kane contracts. Only way I see him hitting 14M is an offersheet match from another team, but if his contract is dealt with purely in house it won't hit 14M.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Mcdavid isn't signing for 14 mil. People just wanna see Edmonton get strapped on the cap so they can see us fail. Beauty of haters.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then why did Dreger bring it up? Does he want to see Edmonton fail?

Dreger/TSN was also saying 12 million per for Stamkos this time last year and 9 per for Giordano. Calgary Sun was saying 8 million for Gaudreau a year ago also.

I think a lot of times what actually gets reported is the initial ask, and the initial ask should always be the max amount they would be hoping to get. That's just standard negotiating. The other side starts with the lowest possible they would hope to get and you work your way somewhere to the middle.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lol, this isn't an Edmonton thing it's a McDavid thing. Edmonton can still sign McDavid for 14 Million and still not be cash strapped.

Cap strapped, not cash strapped. Katz can afford it for sure, but it's gonna make it a heck of a lot harder to make a competitive team. Crosby and Malkin have 2 more cups partially thanks to them being generous with nice AAV deals.

Ultimately though, it's up to McDavid. If the big payday is priority #1, 14M is certainly realistic with 8 year contract limits.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Tough situation but when you look at it in a vacuum separate from salary cap, he is worth close to if not that much money. He essentially singlehandedly turned around a bust franchise into a Stanley cup contender to come for years. He literally is responsible for them earning more revenue by putting butts in seats to watch him play and more games to sell because of playoffs.

But That's rough in terms of the salary cap and trying to get all your players paid in the next few years while fielding a competitive team.

He's gonna get close to 11-12 and a long term I would think.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Cap strapped, not cash strapped. Katz can afford it for sure, but it's gonna make it a heck of a lot harder to make a competitive team. Crosby and Malkin have 2 more cups partially thanks to them being generous with nice AAV deals.

Ultimately though, it's up to McDavid. If the big payday is priority #1, 14M is certainly realistic with 8 year contract limits.

They didn't take "generous" deals. Crosby's original hit was 17 percent of the cap at the time, and when Malkin signed, he asked to get the same as Crosby.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think he'll pull a Sid and sign for around 20% of the cap, get his, say **** off to his teammates that don't like it and put the onus on the GM and coach to figure it out lest they get fired, so 14M AAV.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
They didn't take "generous" deals. Crosby's original hit was 17 percent of the cap at the time, and when Malkin signed, he asked to get the same as Crosby.

Crosby's first deal was up there for sure. I think that time needs to be looked at differently though. The cap was relatively new, and how to handle it and implications on competitiveness was not nearly as understood as it is now. I think understanding the value of D, even 2nd pairing guys, has really evolved over the last 10 years as well, and the cost of top 4 D has really gone up.

In any case, I was talking about their current deals. Crosby's is a back diving deal that would be impossible to create today, so not the best example, but Crosby for 8.7M AAV is very generous no matter how you slice it. He could have done a shorter term deal for 12M AAV if he wanted and saved the back diving one for next time to take him to 40 years old.

Malkin's is a better example. His was signed with the current contract limitations. Crosby was taking home 12M of salary, Malkin could have asked for 11M or more. Both guys are bargains right now relative to what they could get on the open market.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Outsider fan, so my thoughts are based solely on floating opinionated thought. But don't see his contract being pushed to 14M, he'll make Toews or more, but not all the way to 14M. Some where between 10.5M and 12M. But I don't see him being signed under the Toews/Kane contracts. Only way I see him hitting 14M is an offersheet match from another team, but if his contract is dealt with purely in house it won't hit 14M.
Unless he is unsigned on July 1st , 2018, which is highly unlikely then offer sheets won't come into play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad