Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is nobody realistically that will be available via trade or UFA that makes sense spending that type of money.

licensed-image

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This is exactly why I think bringing back Guentzel would be a mistake. You know he's just going to slide back into his old role on Crosby's LW and the net front PP guy. It's a silly allocation of money for the role.

If you're spending that kind of money on anyone, go after a RW for Malkin.
1 that would mean our coaches have learned nothing and........errr....never mind.
2, get a center, Geno needs to move to wing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If the Canes re-sign Guentzel, then yes the deal immediately becomes great for them again. Still, I really don’t understand what kind of galaxy brain thinking you have to do to suggest that the Guentzel trade was a “home run” if he’s just a rental. At absolute best, they gave up nothing of significance for a guy that didn’t help them win. Their season result wouldn’t have changed at all had they never traded for Guentzel in the first place.
Consider who you're arguing with...
Package is fine. Just lame.we couldnt get a late 1st at least
It went from the 31/32nd OV to the 44OV. In this draft 12 spots is nothing. Higher would have been better but let's not pretend it was the difference between a high 1st or no first at all. Or a 1st vs 4th.

We got a good package for a rental.
This is exactly why I think bringing back Guentzel would be a mistake. You know he's just going to slide back into his old role on Crosby's LW and the net front PP guy. It's a silly allocation of money for the role.

If you're spending that kind of money on anyone, go after a RW for Malkin.
If they were willing to move one or both of Smith and Rakell, I would be okay with it. Of all the issues we have, Jake-Sid-Rust wasn't one of them. I get what you're saying about falling back into old ways but this circumstance is a bit more bearable than others.

The key is to then focus on Malkin's RW.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-XXXX
DOC-Eller-XXXX

If they were willing to do some legit housekeeping and Jake was willing to sign reasonably, you could fit both him and Marner. Or you can take the path of signing Sprong or trading for Kaliyev.

Fact is, they need a couple of shooters on each line. We know Jake can shoot. They need to add a Marner, Kaliyev, Sprong, etc to Malkin's RW.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The Jake deal seems to be a pretty good win for the Pens but it would have been nice to have an addition conditional pick if he re-signs with Carolina.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they were willing to move one or both of Smith and Rakell, I would be okay with it. Of all the issues we have, Jake-Sid-Rust wasn't one of them. I get what you're saying about falling back into old ways but this circumstance is a bit more bearable than others.

There is no reason to pay Guentzel $9 million to play with Crosby. The added benefit of Guentzel on that line is not worth the extra money it would cost.

Go after like a $4 million DeBrusk instead, the results won't be tangibly worse (for L1 as a whole) and you'll be saving like $5 million a year.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Honestly, I don't want to see them sign anyone in free agency.

If you're going to commit to a retool, you're better off trading for RFAs like Robertson or Kaliyev. I'd rather not tie up money and years to a free agent that might not fit the system that's entering their late 20's.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Consider who you're arguing with...

It went from the 31/32nd OV to the 44OV. In this draft 12 spots is nothing. Higher would have been better but let's not pretend it was the difference between a high 1st or no first at all. Or a 1st vs 4th.

We got a good package for a rental.

The key is to then focus on Malkin's RW.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-XXXX
DOC-Eller-XXXX

If they were willing to do some legit housekeeping and Jake was willing to sign reasonably, you could fit both him and Marner. Or you can take the path of signing Sprong or trading for Kaliyev.

Fact is, they need a couple of shooters on each line. We know Jake can shoot. They need to add a Marner, Kaliyev, Sprong, etc to Malkin's RW.
If Hextall would have done the same thing a couple of years ago with any of Malkin, Letang, Rakell and or Rust.......Kept McCann (even Kap).........this team would have been swimming with prospects, probably made the playoffs this year and challenging for the East next season.

And FIRED SULLY........he's awful No man on this earth as taken more from society and given so little. Awful hockey player that had a long career due to brown nosing........ wrecked a franchise for at least a decade. How does the man look at himself in the mirror? Fraud, flop......arrogant ......dolt.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
There is no reason to pay Guentzel $9 million to play with Crosby. The added benefit of Guentzel on that line is not worth the extra money it would cost.

Go after like a $4 million DeBrusk instead, the results won't be tangibly worse (for L1 as a whole) and you'll be saving like $5 million a year.
Getting rid of Smith and Rakell for different options, adding DeBrusk we could add 3 lines of solid depth.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Marner would be a great pickup if this team still had a window. Seems pointless now, which is probably why they're gonna go all in on the idea.

Still need a shooter though, regardless of whether the team ends up with Marner or not.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
no trading for marner until he has a tik tok weigh in. cant risk having another skinny guy - this aint nintendo ice hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad