Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The oilers should get Mcdavid and Drai locked up for 17 million.

Think the result will be somewhere between 16M and 24M :)

Kinda doubting Chia's negotiating skills these days. No one knows the personal values of McDavid and Drai of winning vs cashing on on their talents.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
So that the team around can be better, and therefore allowing him to have more team success. I think Mcdavid would rather win a few stanley cups then make an extra 4 million per year.

Why should McDavid do managements work for them?

He should be paid what's he worth, if they can't build a cup contender around his market value, that's on management.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Most of you people must work for minimum wage. I don't know anyone in salary or contract negotiations who walk in and take a discount "for the good of the company."

These players have small earning windows and have representation to make sure they get the most in each contract. In McDavid's case, all he has to do is wait until next July 1st and decide which of the five year, maximum salary contracts he wants. There is zero risk here for the kid and no benefit for him to signing for less. He is a professional athlete and his earning window is small. He, and his agency, would be incredibly stupid to sign for anything less than the max with the minimum term to get to unrestricted free agency. This is not an Edmonton thing. This is an economics thing. This is a reality thing. The best get paid the most. McDavid is the best.

url

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Most of you people must work for minimum wage. I don't know anyone in salary or contract negotiations who walk in and take a discount "for the good of the company."

These players have small earning windows and have representation to make sure they get the most in each contract. In McDavid's case, all he has to do is wait until next July 1st and decide which of the five year, maximum salary contracts he wants. There is zero risk here for the kid and no benefit for him to signing for less. He is a professional athlete and his earning window is small. He, and his agency, would be incredibly stupid to sign for anything less than the max with the minimum term to get to unrestricted free agency. This is not an Edmonton thing. This is an economics thing. This is a reality thing. The best get paid the most. McDavid is the best.

url

Players take less than they could get on the open market for a better shot at winning all the time. I don't think any Oilers fan is wrong to hope McDavid will value winning a bit more than getting maximum money. Everything about how the kid has presented himself and answered questions since he was in the spotlight suggests he is that type of person. Still, you never really know anyone just by watching them on TV :) I don't think that makes Oilers fans wrong to still think the hope is valid though.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

url

You overlook one thing that separates pro athletes from normal people in the work force, they have been brainwashed since they were 6 years old that winning is everything.

You also ignore numerous examples of players in the NHL taking a pay cut so they can play on a better team.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Players take less than they could get on the open market for a better shot at winning all the time. I don't think any Oilers fan is wrong to hope McDavid will value winning a bit more than getting maximum money.

Really? Point them out. I want specific examples in hockey where the best players in the game have taken discounts to the level you are suggesting. They don't exist. Crosby is the only one worth talking about, and his contract is not worthy of talking about because of the structure. Plus, when he signed it, he was making just under 18% of cap. The numbers Oiler fans are tossing around would have him taking a haircut in the neighborhood of 7-8%, and earning only 12-13% of cap. That is unreasonable. If you're talking about a comparable contract to Crosby's for McDavid, you're still talking $13.5 million per season. Get ****ing serious.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Really? Point them out. I want specific examples in hockey where the best players in the game have taken discounts to the level you are suggesting. They don't exist. Crosby is the only one worth talking about, and his contract is not worthy of talking about because of the structure. Plus, when he signed it, he was making just under 18% of cap. The numbers Oiler fans are tossing around would have him taking a haircut in the neighborhood of 7-8%, and earning only 12-13% of cap. That is unreasonable. If you're talking about a comparable contract to Crosby's for McDavid, you're still talking $13.5 million per season. Get ****ing serious.

Crosby is worth talking about. He could have got a 10 year deal at 20% of cap easily if he hit the open market. Malkin could have too. Instead, Crosby helped his team by taking a back diving deal where he will get 3M in years where he could still be a 70+ point player. He didn't have to do that, he could have just done another 5 years near 20% of cap, or just gone UFA and got a lifetime deal that took him to 40+ where he was paid near 20% of cap for 10 years.

Like I said earlier, Corsby's first deal, OV"s as well, was in a time where value per position was not yet fully understood. These days, people know what it costs to fill every position and the value of every position to being competitive, and it doesn't look like it did back then. There has been across the board inflating of the value of middle 6 forwards and 2nd pair D.

Stamkos is a very recent example of a guy that took a discount vs his open market value, not even necessarily because of his chance to win either, just loyalty to the org that drafted him and for not disrupting his life.

Last edited:

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Rightfully so.
He's the heir apparent for the best player in the league for the next 10-15 years atleast.

14 is likely a bargin.

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Crosby is worth talking about. He could have got a 10 year deal at 20% of cap easily if he hit the open market. Malkin could have too. Instead, Crosby helped his team by taking a back diving deal where he will get 3M in years where he could still be a 70+ point player. He didn't have to do that, he could have just done another 5 years near 20% of cap, or just gone UFA and got a lifetime deal that took him to 40+ where he was paid near 20% of cap for 10 years.

Like I said earlier, Corsby's first deal, OV"s as well, was in a time where value per position was not yet fully understood. These days, people know what it costs to fill every position and the value of every position to being competitive, and it doesn't look like it did back then.

Stamkos is a very recent example of a guy that took a discount vs his open market value, not even necessarily because of his chance to win either, just loyalty to the org that drafted him and for not disrupting his life.

And because there is no state income tax in Florida, so his take-home pay is more than it would have been in other places even if his gross salary was higher.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
PHP:
And because there is no state income tax in Florida, so his take-home pay is more than it would have been in other places even if his gross salary was higher.

Yeah, think he needed at least 1.5M more from TO if he wanted to break even. Not accounting for the extra money he would have made from endorsements.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Certain markets can offset the contract with promised endorsements. Crosby makes income beyond his salary. Toronto can off set cap costs for the next contract for Mathews. I am not sure if Edmonton can work in a deal like that.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Certain markets can offset the contract with promised endorsements. Crosby makes income beyond his salary. Toronto can off set cap costs for the next contract for Mathews. I am not sure if Edmonton can work in a deal like that.

Off the top of my head, McDavid is already the face of Adidas and BioSteel and the NHL 18 cover. And has endorsement deals with CIBC, Canadian Tire and Rogers. I'd love to know what he'd pull in Toronto that he can't in Edmonton.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ridiculous to pay one player $14M. Isn't it obvious the teams paying any player an AAV over $10M are having some trouble due to those cap hits.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Why should McDavid do managements work for them?

He should be paid what's he worth, if they can't build a cup contender around his market value, that's on management.

Management's work and McDavid's job/ambition should reasonably be expected to be in lock step. Winning cups.

He should obviously be fairly compensated, but maxing out his earnings potential at a time when the cap is stagnating is going to prevent Edmonton from actually having a team that can contend.

There's a difference with the contracts Sid/Geno signed out of RFA for instance - that the cap was exploding upwards and predicted to continue doing so - and did.
Hence what was for a couple of years inarguably very expensive soon became very reasonable and today arguably a competitive advantage in itself.

Perhaps the way here is to do a bridge contract (say 10 million per) to keep building Edmonton as a likely winner, and setting McD up for a potentially serious correction in two years if revenues have been following.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
If McDavid wants an 8 year $112 mil contract, he'll get it one way or another. Plenty of teams will give up 4 first rounders to have him, and I think Edmonton would match it anyways.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
He will take a discount just like Lucic, eberle, RNH and Russel did....

None of those are discounts Wow. Boat anchors is more like it. RNH or Eberle couldn't re-negotiate that $6mm/year if they were today. Russell is making $4mm/yr as a small 38 year old in his final year. Hardly a discount. I like Russell and he may be worth close to that but not over 4 years at his age. Lucic. If playoffs were any indication, good luck with that boat anchor. He looked so tired in the anaheim series. Edmonton will hate that contract in 2-3 years. Discounts!@!!@ hahaha

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
None of those are discounts Wow. Boat anchors is more like it. RNH or Eberle couldn't re-negotiate that $6mm/year if they were today. Russell is making $4mm/yr as a small 38 year old in his final year. Hardly a discount. I like Russell and he may be worth close to that but not over 4 years at his age. Lucic. If playoffs were any indication, good luck with that boat anchor. He looked so tired in the anaheim series. Edmonton will hate that contract in 2-3 years. Discounts!@!!@ hahaha

Sarcasm on message boards is difficult :laugh:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
How much would Mathews, Liane, Nylander, and Marner all get moving forward if McDavid gets league max 14mill?

I would assume with all the chatter that Mathews is generational, and with how much the cap will go up over the nest two years it would be 12 mill minimum for Mathews?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad