Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
What's the date the deal can be done at the earliest? Or has it passed already?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Can you say lockout? I don't blame McDavid or anyone else for getting all they can when they can but the salaries in hockey are getting crazy again and ticket prices are getting crazier

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Of course McDavid is coming in at 14m...if he wasn't, his agent should be fired.

Not a chance he gets 14m (not because he's not worth it), because no player has ever and should be paid 14m. This is a cap league...McDavid will most likely settle for less like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
What i'd like to know from HF posters is that who the heck is worth the MAX or close to it in NHL if not McDavid?

Good lord, nobody is saying he isn't worth it. In fact almost everyone in this thread is saying he very clearly is worth it. What people are arguing is that he shouldn't really want to get it if he wants to ever win a cup.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Can you say lockout? I don't blame McDavid or anyone else for getting all they can when they can but the salaries in hockey are getting crazy again and ticket prices are getting crazier

Hockey players make 50% of revenues. Everything else is just players competing with each other for shares of that 50% revenue.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Oilers should offer him 8-9M for 8 years.

If he counters with 14M they should point blank ask him which 5-6M player he would like them to trade to accommodate his salary: Klefbom, Larsson, RNH, Draisatl (extended) etc.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If he counters with 14M they should point blank ask him which 5-6M player he would like them to trade to accommodate his salary: Klefbom, Larsson, RNH, Draisatl (extended) etc.

"Thanks for the offer, I am going to test free agency"

A considerable amount of teams tender a max 7 years offer sheet to McDavid.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Of course McDavid is coming in at 14m...if he wasn't, his agent should be fired.

Not a chance he gets 14m (not because he's not worth it), because no player has ever and should be paid 14m. This is a cap league...McDavid will most likely settle for less like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin.

Are you crazy?? Why should he settle? Ovechkin Malkin and Crosby didn't settle. At the time those were expensive contracts. With the cap rising, they became cheaper.

In 5 years, 14 million may extrapolate into a 10 million dollar contract.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

He would say " I'm not a gm, you figure it out"

Also, if you can't realize that RNH is the weak link in those players, you don't watch hockey.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014

Umm... Weber already got paid $14M a year for a few years. Kopitar hit that last year as well. Crosby got paid $12M for a few years. I think Fedorov holds the record still for single season payout of around $20M.

EDM just has the unfortunate luck to finally get their franchise player after the NHL took away the ability to sign people longer than 8 years.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
This. McDavid's agent asks for 14. Chiarelli counters at 8. They settle at a reasonable value in the middle. It's the way the process works.

Chiarelli has no leverage. McDavid's agent is going to insist on max and if Chiarelli insists on lowballing then McDavid signs an offer sheet for max knowing that Chiarelli will match it.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

Ha ha ha ha

I can see the response from McDavid's agent. Something along the lines of that 8 or 9 million is an insult. We'll sign a 12 million dollar deal that takes us to UFA and take him to market.

For the second statement, that's not our job, don't try to appeal to us, and we've just applied an jerk tax to our demands.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Good lord, nobody is saying he isn't worth it. In fact almost everyone in this thread is saying he very clearly is worth it. What people are arguing is that he shouldn't really want to get it if he wants to ever win a cup.

hockey is a business. He only has one shot to make this type of money in his life. He should get every dollar he deserves. If we wins a cup great if not , he will still live a great freaking life.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Ha ha ha ha

I can see the response from McDavid's agent. Something along the lines of that 8 or 9 million is an insult. We'll sign a 12 million dollar deal that takes us to UFA and take him to market.

For the second statement, that's not our job, don't try to appeal to us, and we've just applied an jerk tax to our demands.

That's not how people talk when they negotiate major deals like this.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Chiarelli has no leverage. McDavid's agent is going to insist on max and if Chiarelli insists on lowballing then McDavid signs an offer sheet for max knowing that Chiarelli will match it.
McDavid will be signed next week nobody can offer sheet him till july 1st 2018 . Oilers would have not signed Russell unless Draisaitl and McDavid agreed on salaries.
;)

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
That's not how people talk when they negotiate major deals like this.

Nor is the way the poster who's post I quoted.

A 8 to 9 million dollar offer will be countered with 14, a 10 million dollar offer will be countered by 14. They'll probably settle at 12.5 but it won't be an 8 year deal at that point, I would expect that buying years of McDavid's UFA years would be hugely expensive.

At this point playing the emotional cord of who I should trade to keep you isn't the concern of the agent or player.

You're not going to see some 3 million dollar a year hometown discount that adds to a loss of some 24 million dollars. Even a 2 million dollar discount would cost McDavid 16 million bucks.

The only way your getting a discount for McDavid is if prime UFA years aren't on the table. Then you can talk 10 or 11 million or 12 on the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad