McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
No problem!

Not sure if you can get this information off of Hockey Reference. I just go to nhl.com's stats page, and filter specific dates (not seasons), which will let you break it down deeper, and then just unclick "sum results" or whatever, and it will show you all the games in that date range. Sort from most points to least, and then just find out what record # it goes from 1-point games to 0-point games.

Hope that makes sense :)
Thank you for the explanation! It'll be a lot more fun procrastinating with this stuff :laugh:

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I wish Connor McDavid nothing but the best and as much personal success as he can achieve. However, I have no desire to ever see the Oilers win a playoff series during his time there, let alone win the cup. Hope he can accomplish that team success once his contract is up or he demands a trade out of Edmonton.
McDavid was 7 the last time the Leafs won a playoff series. McDavid was playing for the Oilers the last time they won one.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
When all is said and done, McDavid will be the better player, and I don't think it will be particularly close.

Crosby, while still a great player, will have played on a better team.

it will be very close. Crosby was injured at his peak. McDavid never went through that. I do expect McDavid to have higher career numbers simple because of that. But until McDavid has the post season success the verdict is out.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
They aren't clowns because they don't win. They're clowns because of the way they run their org. Look at their track record of GM, coaches, developing players, getting multiple #1OA picks and countless other high draft picks and doing less than nothing with it.
I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not giving them a free ride, but they pretty much do as well as anybody else. For instance, if a player has a choice between playing on the east coast, with zero travel, and playing, say in Edmonton, with maximum travel. Which do you think he’s going to choose to do , for the same amount of money? And don’t forget that the setup of the league exacerbates the inequality. They could make it equal by evening up all schedules, but they don’t....

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
it will be very close. Crosby was injured at his peak. McDavid never went through that. I do expect McDavid to have higher career numbers simple because of that. But until McDavid has the post season success the verdict is out.
You have abit of research to do I think.

Reactions: MoistDadBod

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not giving them a free ride, but they pretty much do as well as anybody else. For instance, if a player has a choice between playing on the east coast, with zero travel, and playing, say in Edmonton, with maximum travel. Which do you think he’s going to choose to do , for the same amount of money? And don’t forget that the setup of the league exacerbates the inequality. They could make it equal by evening up all schedules, but they don’t....

Uhhh I don’t think any of that he to do with them hiring inept management and coaching for like 20 years unless you’re telling me good hockey personnel won’t sign in Edmonton because of ‘travel reasons’

And how do you figure they’ve done just as well as everyone? They’ve been a walking punchline for years

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Hmmm could you enlighten me? Are you talking about McDavids injury that caused him to miss 38 games as an 18 year old?

I really dont think that compares to Crosby missing over a hundred games during his peak.

Reactions: sanscosm

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But can he play defence or lead his team in the playoffs?

The Oilers had a winning record last season would have gotten them into the playoffs in any normal year and they have a winning record again this year, so I'd say he does fine so long as he's not hamstrung by the worst GM (Chiarelli) in the world.

Holland hasn't even been that great, but he has given McDavid some bits of help, and lo and behold the team pretty much immediately has had a winning record for a while now.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
McDavid has never gone through what Crosby did from 2010-2013, where Sid only played 99 of a possible 246 games. You don't have to do any "research" to see that Crosby's prime was derailed by injuries, while McDavid has yet to miss any significant time outside of his rookie season. There's no guarantee McDavid's PCL tear has any tangible effect on his career.

Crosby's injuries are the reason he's "in the conversation" for #5 all time (along with Beliveau, Richard, and Hull) and not a runaway lock. McDavid has only lost out on the Calder since he's come into the league, which wasn't going to move the needle much for his legacy anyway.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He deserves every bit of the praise he is getting.

What he has not earned yet is comparaison with a guy like Crosby.

You can score more points, you can have more trophies, you can be "better", but until your actually have team success (the reason why they play the games), well... what does it really mean? That you are stuck in a bad situation, mostly. But it also raises unfair questions about you as a player.
Bourque never won a cup in Boston and was re-guarded one of the best before Going to a pretty good cup contender and get that cup. What McDavid is doing is pretty amazing.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Yea but imagine McDavid on a team with third line C like J Staal
I'd like to imagine him on a team that knows how to win a series in the postseason more than once every 14 years and doesn't piss away a qualifying round series to a 12-seed. After that, we can work on him having a 3rd-line center say 70% as good as Staal was in Pittsburgh.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
McDavid's first 371 games:
174 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 277 games

Crosby's first 371 games:

This is as close as you get. On the Cup wins Pitts team back than was much better then todays Oilers. Got to look at both sides of the story.
183 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 273 games

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Hmmm could you enlighten me? Are you talking about McDavids injury that caused him to miss 38 games as an 18 year old?

I really dont think that compares to Crosby missing over a hundred games during his peak.
That’s right. He had his knee torn asunder and he didn’t miss a game

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Uhhh I don’t think any of that he to do with them hiring inept management and coaching for like 20 years unless you’re telling me good hockey personnel won’t sign in Edmonton because of ‘travel reasons’

And how do you figure they’ve done just as well as everyone? They’ve been a walking punchline for years
And I’m saying your opinion is biased. A better team with a better schedule, because of inequalities in the system, will make coaching staffs and gms look good.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid has never gone through what Crosby did from 2010-2013, where Sid only played 99 of a possible 246 games. You don't have to do any "research" to see that Crosby's prime was derailed by injuries, while McDavid has yet to miss any significant time outside of his rookie season. There's no guarantee McDavid's PCL tear has any tangible effect on his career.

Crosby's injuries are the reason he's "in the conversation" for #5 all time (along with Beliveau, Richard, and Hull) and not a runaway lock. McDavid has only lost out on the Calder since he's come into the league, which wasn't going to move the needle much for his legacy anyway.
I agree McDavid's knee injury is unlikely to have any impact similar to Crosby's concussion did on his career, but it probably did impact him on awards last season. Spending your summer rehabbing a major injury instead of training for performance has a tangible effect on the next season, and evidence would back that up in terms of a number of physically measurable performance factors for at least a year after any significant ligament or tendon injury.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'd like to imagine him on a team that knows how to win a series in the postseason more than once every 14 years and doesn't piss away a qualifying round series to a 12-seed. After that, we can work on him having a 3rd-line center say 70% as good as Staal was in Pittsburgh.
Didn't crosby just piss away a qualifying round series to a 11 seed?

Reactions: TheAngryHank

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Nah, just an 11 seed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad