McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Me looking for @Mulletman posts to like:

tenor.gif

Grow up, maybe? Nobody forced you to do anything.
You tell me to grow up after posting just that ? Remarkable.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby also has never scored more than 3 goals in a game after 15 years. So :dunno:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Which is being an anti-fan. To each their own, however, I would not be happy if a team that should have won gets stiffed, even if I disliked the franchise. Perhaps mildly amused at a from of schatenfroid, btw, what team do you cheer for?

Canes. I just think Edmonton is a clown show of a franchise so until they cease on that front then I don't mind them continuing to have embarrassing things happen to them. And believe me, this is coming form a fan of a team that was dreadful on and off the ice for a decade. For me it's all about accountability from the top down.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He deserves every bit of the praise he is getting.

What he has not earned yet is comparaison with a guy like Crosby.

You can score more points, you can have more trophies, you can be "better", but until your actually have team success (the reason why they play the games), well... what does it really mean? That you are stuck in a bad situation, mostly. But it also raises unfair questions about you as a player.

Only raises questions by people who are dumb. Haha

Anyone that can't separate team succes from individual success is clearly lacking in critical thinking ability.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Pretty impressive that McDavid, who’s 5 years deep in his career, has more 5 points game than Crosby, who’s been the best offensive player of his generation and been in the league for 15 years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
McDavid is 24. By age 24 Crosby had been to two Cup finals, winning one.

McDavid is better than Crosby, The Pens of 2009-2016 were much better than the Oilers of 2015-2020(and on). Not 97s fault his goalie is Mike Smith, vs MAF

But go on

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It might be dumb, but it happens... and you drop in all-time rankings when you have never won. As good/productive as you may have been.

It might be unfair, but it is what it is.

Not on any all time rankings that matter. If that is the kind of thinking someone uses to build their all time list, that just lets us know which all time lists to ignore. haha

Raymond Bourque for example was a great player whether he managed to win a cup at age 40 or not.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Not on any all time rankings that matter. If that is the kind of thinking someone uses to build their all time list, that just lets us know which all time lists to ignore. haha

Raymond Bourque for example was a great player whether he managed to win a cup at age 40 or not.

He definitely was, but him winning with the Avs in 2001 greatly influence the narrative around his career.

I mean, you can disagree that it should have an impact, but reality is that it DOES have an impact.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
McDavid's first 371 games:
174 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 277 games

Crosby's first 371 games:
183 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 273 games
Thank you so much! That's impressive, I totally didn't expect McDavid to have a slight edge even in this.

As an aside, do you get this off hockey reference?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He definitely was, but him winning with the Avs in 2001 greatly influence the narrative around his career.

I mean, you can disagree that it should have an impact, but reality is that it DOES have an impact.

It influences narrative for sure, but that is different than the truth of the matter.

Playing on a winning team doesn't make a player better even if foolish people believe it.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Leaf media (Center of the Universe) is pushing hard for Matthews to be the Hart Trophy winner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-174734~2.png
    Screenshot_20210213-174734~2.png
    294.2 KB · Views: 5

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So after his latest 5 point dominant performance Connor McDavid is up to 7 games with 5 points or more. That's one more than Sidney Crosby who has just managed to score 5 points or more 6 times during his career. It's pretty amazing that McDavid has been able to have more dominant big 5 point games than Crosby despite playing only 37,1 % or the games Crosby has played. McDavid is also doing it on a much worse team than Crosby. Sure McDavid has his bargain bin poor mans version of Malkin in Draisaitl, but besides that he's only been playing with mostly jobbers and washed up has been. McDavid hasn't even had anyone close to as good as Cris Kunitz. It's only a matter of time before McDavid starts separating himself from Crosby and piling up his resume to become the 5th best player of all time.

Can't tell if serious or not.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
Really? Who are those superstars?

McDavid played 3 mins in the 3rd and didn't play much in the last 10 mins of the 2nd
I'm not sure why you're so skeptical, this happens more often than not. The majority of coaches aren't going to wear out their best players for no reason and risk injury. Opposing teams often start headhunting or at least playing more recklessly so you'd be crazy not to bench your stars.

If you need a direct example, in the 3rd period MacKinnon played 3:02 in their 8-0 win versus the Blues and 3:36 in their 7-3 win versus the Sharks.

For a more recent example, the Bruins' top line's TOI are all around the 4 min mark in the 3rd period in yesterday's match versus the Flyers.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What an absolutely random, borderline pointless stat.

Does he have as many 8-point games as Sam Gagne? No? Well surely there's something to be drawn about their comparative quality as players.

Reactions: sanscosm

Thankskilling

Feb 28, 2018
The last 5 points game McDavid had should have an asterisk. Tippett sat him out most of the 3rd period

With the way he was playing, that could have been a 8 point night
And that would have elevated him to the same category of epic as Sam Gagner!

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
All this tells me is Sid more consistently put up points than McDavid and gave his team a better chance to win in any given game.

(I’m mostly kidding, please don’t kill me Oilers fans)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McDavid's first 371 games:
174 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 277 games

Crosby's first 371 games:
183 goals
506 points
At least 1 point in 273 games

It's kinda insane that the Oilers have been as unsuccessful as they have with McDavid producing in that many games.

I'd understand the Oilers not having a great record with McDavid if he just had huge games here and there. I know James Neal did that in the playoffs with the Penguins, his overall production was fine but he was consistently getting 3-5 points in one game and then shut out in the rest. That's a part of why the Penguins always shit the bed in the playoffs with him. But that's not what McDavid is doing, it's kinda crazy that they're not winning more games if McDavid is getting a point in 75% of games.

Reactions: filinski77

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
McDavid has had 4 games this year where he didn't score a point including one against the Senators. How is this possible?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McDavid has had 4 games this year where he didn't score a point including one against the Senators. How is this possible?

I'm confused for why you think that getting shut out in 4 of 20 games is a lot.

The fact that McDavid has points in 16 of 20 games is already insane to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad