McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I wish Connor McDavid nothing but the best and as much personal success as he can achieve. However, I have no desire to ever see the Oilers win a playoff series during his time there, let alone win the cup. Hope he can accomplish that team success once his contract is up or he demands a trade out of Edmonton.
The definition of an anti-fan thought process.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Sid, especially in his heyday, got his big point totals through extreme consistency. For his first few seasons - I wanna say it was until 2010 - Crosby never went more than 2 games without scoring a point.
Dude you can't just make stuff up! Crosby went pointless 3 games in a row in his first season in the league: Sidney Crosby Stats and News
November 27th to december 1st he was pointless in 3 games in a row.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He deserves every bit of the praise he is getting.

What he has not earned yet is comparaison with a guy like Crosby.

You can score more points, you can have more trophies, you can be "better", but until your actually have team success (the reason why they play the games), well... what does it really mean? That you are stuck in a bad situation, mostly. But it also raises unfair questions about you as a player.

For sure.

You know what's interesting, intellectually about the McDavid and Lemieux comparison I just made. It's made me think a little more on the topic.

It makes me think of international hockey. Specifically, it was when Lemieux played with Gretzky in the 1987 Canada Cup. If you look at Lemieux's stats before the 1987 Canada (i.e. everything up to the 1986-87 season), and afterwards you see an explosion in his offensive statistics (also later adding an elite puck mover in Paul Coffey helped as he began as a Penguin in 1987, as did the later addition of Jagr) its an interesting difference.

I mention this, because Lemieux hadn't tasted any real team success professionally before this, but as we all know he played a starring role with Gretzky and Co. winning the 1987 Canada Cup in some of the games ever played against the Soviets.

With the 2022 Olympics in China coming, I think a big international performance in a best-on-best will help. 2018 Olympics were already taken from this opportunity for McDavid. He already has international Golds including: U-18 WJC Gold, U-20 WJC Gold, IIHF Men's WHC Gold. A big presence in a best-on-best should help. As will being in that environment with guys like Bergeron, Crosby, Price, etc. to internationally pass the torch to guys like him, MacKinnon, and Scheifele.

It's very interesting parallels and motifs with the big international experience coming up for McDavid and how it really shaped Lemieux afterwards as well following 1987 onwards.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Dude you can't just make stuff up! Crosby went pointless 3 games in a row in his first season in the league: Sidney Crosby Stats and News
November 27th to december 1st he was pointless in 3 games in a row.

I stand corrected! I guess I misremembered the specifics of that statistic. I do remember for sure there was a long stretch where he never went more than 2 without a point.

EDIT: I guess the stat was that he never went more than 3 games without a point until 2010, not 2 games.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I don't like the Oilers so I don't want them to win jack shit? You don't have teams that you wish never won another game in the league?
Which is being an anti-fan. To each their own, however, I would not be happy if a team that should have won gets stiffed, even if I disliked the franchise. Perhaps mildly amused at a from of schatenfroid, btw, what team do you cheer for?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
For sure.

You know what's interesting, intellectually about the McDavid and Lemieux comparison I just made. It's made me think a little more on the topic.

It makes me think of international hockey. Specifically, it was when Lemieux played with Gretzky in the 1987 Canada Cup. If you look at Lemieux's stats before the 1987 Canada (i.e. everything up to the 1986-87 season), and afterwards you see an explosion in his offensive statistics (also later adding an elite puck mover in Paul Coffey helped as he began as a Penguin in 1987, as did the later addition of Jagr) its an interesting difference.

I mention this, because Lemieux hadn't tasted any real team success professionally before this, but as we all know he played a starring role with Gretzky and Co. winning the 1987 Canada Cup in some of the games ever played against the Soviets.

With the 2022 Olympics in China coming, I think a big international performance in a best-on-best will help. 2018 Olympics were already taken from this opportunity for McDavid. He already has international Golds including: U-18 WJC Gold, U-20 WJC Gold, IIHF Men's WHC Gold. A big presence in a best-on-best should help. As will being in that environment with guys like Bergeron, Crosby, Price, etc. to internationally pass the torch to guys like him, MacKinnon, and Scheifele.

It's very interesting parallels and motifs with the big international experience coming up for McDavid and how it really shaped Lemieux afterwards as well following 1987 onwards.

I actually agree with this.

I hope playing with guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Doughty, Price and others helps McDavid reach another level. He is a great talent and I hope he gets the team success he deserves.

I however think that McDavid and Lemieux have very different personalities. Mario was nonchalent at times, I do not think Connor is.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I stand corrected! I guess I misremembered the specifics of that statistic. I do remember for sure there was a long stretch where he never went more than 2 without a point.

EDIT: I guess the stat was that he never went more than 3 games without a point until 2010, not 2 games.
Or maybe you're thinking about McDavid. McDavid went 3 games without a point for the first time in 2017-18 after playing 164 regular season games: Connor McDavid Stats and News
It was over the new years eve so probably because of partying too hard.

Reactions: SenzZen

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Counterpoint.

Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs his first 4 seasons in the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs in that era.

Did that make his talent any less of a talent?
I wasn’t questioning McDavid’s talent. I just value cups more than 5 point games.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
McDavid has yet to match peak Crosby offensively. This is when Crosby was McDavid’s age now, which is when he came back from concussions.
F23F2292-381F-4E50-98DF-82B78F274442.png

Reactions: Dominance

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The last 5 points game McDavid had should have an asterisk. Tippett sat him out most of the 3rd period

With the way he was playing, that could have been a 8 point night

You do know that this happens to everyone right....? If they have a big night and the game is out of hand they'll rest their top players in the 3rd, this isn't new.

Reactions: Turin

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I actually agree with this.

I hope playing with guys like Crosby, Bergeron, Doughty, Price and others helps McDavid reach another level. He is a great talent and I hope he gets the team success he deserves.

I however think that McDavid and Lemieux have very different personalities. Mario was nonchalent at times, I do not think Connor is.

Definitely not a nonchalant type of personality if you listen to him speak and the way he plays. He's a very competitive player all over the ice, he's been absolute beast defensively this year and the analytics bear that out. He's created a lot of offence from his defensive zone play.

But yeah, the parallels for the big international hockey are pretty clear. These Olympics will be a great learning lesson and a passing of the torch in Canadian hockey on the international level from Team Canada. He will absorb so much the old guard. It's a transition all Canadian fans of best-on-best hockey (i.e. everyone) will enjoy seeing I'm sure.

The added dimension of an elite puck mover on D is interesting as well. In 1987, and following the 1987 Canada Cup victory, as you know as a knowledgeable fan, Paul Coffey joined the Pens. Barrie is a damn good puck mover and Bouchard is playing well and flourishes moving the puck. However, neither are Paul Coffey obviously.

I just think what the addition of a truly elite puck mover on D would do for the Oilers and McDavid in particular who thrives in transition and off the rush. The Oilers are a good team, give this team above average goaltending and they are finishing at least 2nd in Pacific if we were still in that division or the North. Not a SCF contender yet, but they are a solidly in the playoffs and not as a wild card caliber team right now and trending upwards with the play of some the young D men for the Oilers. Nurse taking a massive step in his game this year and looking like a true #1 all situations D man who can play 30 mins/night if called upon helps as well.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I wonder what it is like to be a person who thinks that one person having success diminishes the success of everyone else. It can't be fun. Crosby and everything he has accomplished in his career are not threatened by McDavid being amazing.

Reactions: Dust

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Definitely not a nonchalant type of personality if you listen to him speak and the way he plays. He's a very competitive player all over the ice, he's been absolute beast defensively this year and the analytics bear that out. He's created a lot of offence from his defensive zone play.

But yeah, the parallels for the big international hockey are pretty clear. These Olympics will be a great learning lesson and a passing of the torch in Canadian hockey on the international level from Team Canada. He will absorb so much the old guard. It's a transition all Canadian fans of best-on-best hockey (i.e. everyone) will enjoy seeing I'm sure.

The added dimension of an elite puck mover on D is interesting as well. In 1987, and following the 1987 Canada Cup victory, as you know as a knowledgeable fan, Paul Coffey joined the Pens. Barrie is a damn good puck mover and Bouchard is playing well and flourishes moving the puck. However, neither are Paul Coffey obviously.

I just think what the addition of a truly elite puck mover on D would do for the Oilers and McDavid in particular who thrives in transition and off the rush. The Oilers are a good team, give this team above average goaltending and they are finishing at least 2nd in Pacific if we were still in that division or the North. Not a SCF contender yet, but they are a solidly in the playoffs and not as a wild card caliber team right now and trending upwards with the play of some the young D men for the Oilers and Nurse taking a massive step in his game this year and looking like a true #1 all situations D man who can play 30 mins/night if called upon.

A good puck moving D would do wonders for them, indeed. It would facilitate transition tremendously and McDavid would not have to rush the puck up the ice as much.

I mostly think that "a real #1" would be more accurate as a need. Someone like Coffey was that, even if he had his warts defensively (guys like Burns, Letang, Karlsson, Subban are/were in the same category, even if mostly not of the same level). Having a guy like that also helps solidify your team defensively. 1) You have the puck more. 2) Your top forwards have to skate with the puck less so they have more energy defensively.

Number 2 might seem stupid, but it is important. A forward needing to get the puck deep in his territory and rushing it up the ice all the time wastes a lot of energy. It also makes the probabilities of turn overs higher.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Steve Yzerman also put up a ton of points in his younger years. Then he learned about this thing called defense that helps win championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad