McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Didn't crosby just piss away a qualifying round series to a 11 seed?
Only difference is one player has already played 1,000 games in this league while the other is a kid in his prime who’s can’t rally his team in the playoffs

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It might be dumb, but it happens... and you drop in all-time rankings when you have never won. As good/productive as you may have been.

It might be unfair, but it is what it is.
Bourque was regarded as one of the best before he won a cup. I guess you could say winning the cup cemented his place but he did have to go to a different team late in his career to achieve that. He deserves all the credit he's getting right now.
Same amount of points in the same amount of games [371] but on different teams.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He definitely was, but him winning with the Avs in 2001 greatly influence the narrative around his career.

I mean, you can disagree that it should have an impact, but reality is that it DOES have an impact.
In Bourque's case it didn't. Everyone on the planet knew he went to the Avs to have a shot at winning it.
I don't believe Bourque was regarded any more after he won the cup. Bourque proved you didn't have to win a cup to be considered one of the best. Bourque was regarded as one of the best before he even one a cup . Winning the cup didn't move him up the list. Not winning it would not have moved him down the list.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only difference is one player has already played 1,000 games in this league while the other is a kid in his prime who’s can’t rally his team in the playoffs

It's almost like you need more than 1 or 2 players in ice hockey. Amazing to think about.

Because how come Mario missed the playoffs continually in the early half of his career, or how is it Nathan MacKinnon allowed the Avalanche to miss three years in a row.

Ken Holland has given McDavid just a tiny amount of run support, but even that is enough that the team has had a winning record now for a while.

Even the worst GM Crosby had is still a large upgrade on Peter Chiarelli.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Mcdavid isn’t winning due to depth scoring. Edmonton is starting to finally get some.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
So, I guess the stay implies mcdavid is less consistent than Crosby?
Here's the break down of their first 506 points which covers their first 371 games

Points CrosbyMcDavid
6+ 21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Very similar with McDavid being slightly more likely to record a point and Crosby being slightly more likely to record a 2+ point night

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Well they both hit the same milestone with the same games played. It kind of sums up how I feel about them comparatively.

Crosby is Mr. Consistent, shift in shift out you get the same superstar calibre player.

McDavid is Mr. Flash, who has the higher level of peak performance in a given game.

Reactions: sanscosm

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Counterpoint.

Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs his first 4 seasons in the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs in that era.

Did that make his talent any less of a talent?
I would still see Lemieux less without any cup but he has 2... the point is moot

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Lets see if Connor can take his Malkin and have Connor and Leon win three cups...

somehow I am not so sure that they will be able to do it and that has to do with two things:

1) Salary Cap
2) The location of Edmonton

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
He is in his prime now
Maybe just hitting it, sure. People can talk production all they want, but it takes years for teenagers to mature mentally and physically into grown men. You also have to have a certain amount of life experience under your belt, something that 21-24 year olds generally don't have in spades. Obviously there's no real equation for an athlete's prime, but I don't think players hit that until they're 25-29. Just my opinion that seems to run opposite of many here, in that the early twenties are it.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That’s right. He had his knee torn asunder and he didn’t miss a game

Ok so you agree, his career wasn't derailed for a year and a half because of neck and head issues. He missed a summer of training while he rehabbed. That doesn't make him better than Crosby. All I said was that his numbers are most likely going to be higher because he has not missed games in his prime due to a major injury.

Reactions: sanscosm

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Maybe just hitting it, sure. People can talk production all they want, but it takes years for teenagers to mature mentally and physically into grown men. You also have to have a certain amount of life experience under your belt, something that 21-24 year olds generally don't have in spades. Obviously there's no real equation for an athlete's prime, but I don't think players hit that until they're 25-29. Just my opinion that seems to run opposite of many here, in that the early twenties are it.

I think it depends on the player. Players who focus on speed and athleticism seem to have an earlier prime, while players who think the game slower and are more physical have a later and shorter prime.

Sure there are outlier seasons and I don't think McDavid slows down anytime soon. However; I think his prime is going to be 23 - 27. He will still be a great player for a long time but these next few years will be his peak I think.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
He had the worst save % of anyone to win a cup in the salary cap era the year he won, played one game and lost it the other year “he won” and had to have Matt Murray bail him out of a poor performance against Ottawa in the third round another year. Not to mention his gold medal came from eating popcorn in the stands at the 2010 Olympics. I’m sure every goalie would love to get the props Fleury does for “winning” the way Fleury does.

Don't forget his pass in the world juniors on the game winning goal.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
So since they have the same number of points at that games number, does that mean McDavid is streaky while Crosby is consistent?

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This applies to the majority of players, yes. But generational players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Crosby, OV, etc. all hit their offensive peaks early. Not many make very large strides after 25-26 years old.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->