McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
McDavid is, without a doubt, the best offensive talent since Lemieux. No one is denying that. However, there's more to the game than just offense.

HF: It's not just about points, Crosby can't better than ____ because he doesn't play defense
Also HF: McDavid must be better than Crosby because points

You can't have it both ways, HF. McDavid smashes Crosby in pretty much every offensive category. And that's saying something, given Crosby's numbers. But Crosby smashes McDavid in every non-offensive category.

Crosby is the more complete player. Always has been. Always will be.
McDavid is the better offensive talent. Always has been. Always will be.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
So after his latest 5 point dominant performance Connor McDavid is up to 7 games with 5 points or more. That's one more than Sidney Crosby who has just managed to score 5 points or more 6 times during his career. It's pretty amazing that McDavid has been able to have more dominant big 5 point games than Crosby despite playing only 37,1 % or the games Crosby has played. McDavid is also doing it on a much worse team than Crosby. Sure McDavid has his bargain bin poor mans version of Malkin in Draisaitl, but besides that he's only been playing with mostly jobbers and washed up has been. McDavid hasn't even had anyone close to as good as Cris Kunitz. It's only a matter of time before McDavid starts separating himself from Crosby and piling up his resume to become the 5th best player of all time.
Crosby wouldn't trade his career for McDavid's .

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
McDaddy is a better player then Crosby. Way superior skills, that match mario and wayne.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
So after his latest 5 point dominant performance Connor McDavid is up to 7 games with 5 points or more. That's one more than Sidney Crosby who has just managed to score 5 points or more 6 times during his career. It's pretty amazing that McDavid has been able to have more dominant big 5 point games than Crosby despite playing only 37,1 % or the games Crosby has played. McDavid is also doing it on a much worse team than Crosby. Sure McDavid has his bargain bin poor mans version of Malkin in Draisaitl, but besides that he's only been playing with mostly jobbers and washed up has been. McDavid hasn't even had anyone close to as good as Cris Kunitz. It's only a matter of time before McDavid starts separating himself from Crosby and piling up his resume to become the 5th best player of all time.
All this proves is that McDavid is less consistent than Crosby.

When they each took equal games to reach 500 points, then more 5-point games from McDavid means that he has had more games when he was silent compared to Crosby.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Maybe just hitting it, sure. People can talk production all they want, but it takes years for teenagers to mature mentally and physically into grown men. You also have to have a certain amount of life experience under your belt, something that 21-24 year olds generally don't have in spades. Obviously there's no real equation for an athlete's prime, but I don't think players hit that until they're 25-29. Just my opinion that seems to run opposite of many here, in that the early twenties are it.

There's no way someone who plays an athletic game like McDavid is going to enter his prime after the average prime of the rest of the best players.

Nowhere did you argue why your point only applies to McDavid and why not Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. What makes McDavid different that his prime will be when his speed and strength is on the decline?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby had Kris Letang and Fleury.

Mcdavid has Larsson and Koskinen

Letang was a 3rd pairing defenseman during the b2b finals. Fluery was trash in their cup win, .908sv% and constantly giving up backbreaking goals.

Crosby and Malkin carried that team to the cup, it's revisionist history to claim it was anything else. They had no business going b2b finals with that roster

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This applies to the majority of players, yes. But generational players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Crosby, OV, etc. all hit their offensive peaks early. Not many make very large strides after 25-26 years old.
I don't see it so much as making strides later on. I just think "prime" is a combination of mental and physical maturation and growth. I don't see it as "he put up more points in this year than that year". I see it more as being the complete package, and I think McDavid has more.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There's no way someone who plays an athletic game like McDavid is going to enter his prime after the average prime of the rest of the best players.

Nowhere did you argue why your point only applies to McDavid and why not Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. What makes McDavid different that his prime will be when his speed and strength is on the decline?
The issue here is you seem to think McDavid is going to be declining at 27/28.

In my opinion that's when he will be at his best.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
All this proves is that McDavid is less consistent than Crosby.

When they each took equal games to reach 500 points, then more 5-point games from McDavid means that he has had more games when he was silent compared to Crosby.

PointsCrosbyMcDavid
6+21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

one page back chief

Reactions: McRpro

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
This! But you should look up the other times he's scored 5 points or more. He's basically been sandbagged most of the times. He played even less in his previous 5 point game. :(

Maybe but he get's a ton of ice-time regulary so guess they just try to rest him in games where they are actually winning.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The issue here is you seem to think McDavid is going to be declining at 27/28.

In my opinion that's when he will be at his best.

What is the reasoning behind that? And what separates his prime from the other best players at 21-24?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
McDavid is 24. By age 24 Crosby had been to two Cup finals, winning one.

Because he had some great help around him and a GM who knew what they were doing. McDavid and EDM in general since 06 have had awful GM's after awful GM's who have never been able to surround the top players with what you need to become a top team. Holes galore like swiss cheese to where those better players were driven out. The fact that he's still been able to put up such great numbers despite what he has had to play with is insane. lol

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
The last 5 points game McDavid had should have an asterisk. Tippett sat him out most of the 3rd period

With the way he was playing, that could have been a 8 point night
Crosby had a game where he had 5 points in 12 minutes or so. again we never saw peak Crosby consistently healthy. also this year is a Mickey mouse league big time

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The funny thing is that while I agree McDavid is the more offensively skilled player, he still hasn't had any stretch of games as good as Crosby's 25 game point streak in 2010-11 where he had 26 goals and 50 points. So it's not like this season or his offensive career statistically to date is anything Crosby hasn't done, but he will get even better before he starts decling.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I love how Edmonton Oilers fans will always discredit how good McDavid's teammates are to make McDavid look better. Meanwhile, they will get offended if you don't call Draisaitl a top 5 player in the league.

Stop making excuses for McDavid's lack of success. He's played with 2 of the last 3 Hart Trophy winners. He's getting the chance to play with the reigning Hart trophy and Art Ross champion. If you can't win with the reigning Hart and Art Ross trophy winner (who is not you) on your team, you're part of the problem.

McDavid is the greatest player of all time to lose the Art Ross and Hart to a teammate but get no help. :laugh:

Maybe another Art Ross winner and the excuses for him stop? Or will it just be, it's them 3 and no one else :facepalm:

Reactions: wizmet12

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I love how Edmonton Oilers fans will always discredit how good McDavid's teammates are to make McDavid look better. Meanwhile, they will get offended if you don't call Draisaitl a top 5 player in the league.

Stop making excuses for McDavid's lack of success. He's played with 2 of the last 3 Hart Trophy winners. He's getting the chance to play with the reigning Hart trophy and Art Ross champion. If you can't win with the reigning Hart and Art Ross trophy winner (who is not you) on your team, you're part of the problem.

McDavid is the greatest player of all time to lose the Art Ross and Hart to a teammate but get no help. :laugh:

Maybe another Art Ross winner and the excuses for him stop? Or will it just be, it's them 3 and no one else :facepalm:

You can't win a championship with only 2 elite players and 1 regular top 6 player (RNH)...the rest of the roster is basically AHL quality.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Mcdavid couldn't even get his junior team into the memorial cup final. Theres a big difference between crosby and his winning pedigree

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Penguin fans reaction when they read this

k3p8Kih.gif

Bro thank you for the laugh.

I'm still in the Crosby is the better overall player than McJesus camp but this was awesome. McDavid is more creative and may pass him statistically but prime for prime I take Crosby everytime.

What an amazing 200 foot player he's been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad