McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I say wait till the careers are over.

We're not far from comparing Ovi to Crosby so let's wait for McDavid to finish what I hope to be a very long career.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Would be interesting to compare total ice time. Have a feeling McDavid plays a fair amount more than Crosby did when he was 24. An extra few minutes of ice time a game really adds up over a season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid has a higher offensive roof I think simply because of the game breaking speed.

He can rack up points in bunches more rapidly, Crosby has to "work" a little more for his offence.

They're both great players, both can score a ton though.

McDavid the way he plays the game though you can just see if anyone's going to have like a 8/9 point night, he looks the most likely because you can clearly see on nights he generates enough chances for that to happen, probably one night a bunch of them will go in.

McDavid generates like 2/3 really high danger scoring chances on a shift sometimes just casually.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Sure, but being on the ice while McDavid is being McDavid isn't necessarily elevating their games. These guys are currently playing on the 3rd and 4th lines. Kunitz was a staple along Sid. The comparisons don't match.

So when Mcdavid plays with these players, they have career years, putting up their best numbers. But when he doesn’t play with them, they are 3rd and 4th liners.

isn’t that the definition of elevating someone’s game?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
No. As with most things in life, you can't boil down the difference to something so simple. They are both extremely consistent with slight deviations.

As posted above by @Hynh

PointsCrosbyMcDavid
6+21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah, my comment was tongue-in-cheek in response to this unnecessary thread
Interesting table though

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
McDavid has a higher offensive roof I think simply because of the game breaking speed.

He can rack up points in bunches more rapidly, Crosby has to "work" a little more for his offence.

They're both great players, both can score a ton though.

McDavid the way he plays the game though you can just see if anyone's going to have like a 8/9 point night, he looks the most likely because you can clearly see on nights he generates enough chances for that to happen, probably one night a bunch of them will go in.

McDavid generates like 2/3 really high danger scoring chances on a shift sometimes just casually.

There are 3 6+ point games between the two of them and Crosby has 2. Neither have 7, Malkin has one. I still can't believe Gagner had 8 one game so you never know.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Pittsburgh was a 17 year old franchise when Mario arrived with zero hockey history. Pittsburgh is also almost twice as big as Edmonton in terms of population.

Edmonton has nothing to offer mcdavid and Draisaitl as a supporting cast. And these 2 superstars play in a tiny media market so they get little exposure in America. Let's be honest, most Americans have never heard of Edmonton.

I'm not trying to shit on the city. I'm trying to say that this generational talent is being wasted on a franchise that will severely limit his success and exposure.
Except he gets a lot more sponsorship money than Crosby.

Crosby would need to leave Steelers-town to really make 'Canadian' endorsement money.

The NHL's Highest-Paid Players 2018-19: Connor McDavid On Top At $19 Million

In Pittsburgh, the Pens are behind NFL and NCAA.

In Canada Hockey is #1, 2, 3,and 4

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Except he gets a lot more sponsorship money than Crosby.

Crosby would need to leave Steelers-town to really make 'Canadian' endorsement money.

The NHL's Highest-Paid Players 2018-19: Connor McDavid On Top At $19 Million

In Pittsburgh, the Pens are behind NFL and NCAA.

In Canada Hockey is #1, 2, 3,and 4
You must not be from Pittsburgh. The Pens are a firm #2 behind the Steelers. No NCAA team is remotely close to the Pens in popularity.

I will admit I'm a little surprised that Mcdavid gets as much in endorsements as a Sid. Didn't expect that.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Meaningless.

Gotta win cups or it will be a disappointing career.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
What skills? Edgework? Backhand? Passing? Shot? Board work? Hand-eye? I get that Crosby’s peak was 10 years ago now but sheesh.

That would make him an outlier. Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin all hit their peaks 22-25.
Crosby is no slouch. Were talking about a couple great players. No disrespect, but Conner has superior speed, with better stickhandling considering the extra high speed he is at - shot, passing, and intelligence are a wash. Crosby is obviously stronger and lower center of gravity, but conner goes into corners, and always comes out with the puck. Conner can pick pockets with his stick work....Crosby has had the better career with the cups, and gold metal, and much more proven playoff record. Conner is just so much more explosive then Crosby ever was. I mentioned Wayne and Mario, as comparable to Mcdaddy. That is due to me falling out of my seat, while watching these 3. Thats the difference.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So when Mcdavid plays with these players, they have career years, putting up their best numbers. But when he doesn’t play with them, they are 3rd and 4th liners.

isn’t that the definition of elevating someone’s game?

Gaudeau made Hudler into essentially a PPG player one season. Ferland seemed like a topline player at times and he made Josh Jooris seem like an NHL player. None of that would make me say Gaudreau is as good as Crosby. Those players benefited largely from playing with Gaudreau and that’s pretty much it.

The difference is Sid truly elevates average players, helps them to become their best versions of themselves. Michael Jordan did this for his teammates and so does Sid, which is why he has 3 Cups. To me, McDavid is hands down the most talented player on the planet, but he doesn’t check all the boxes if you’re looking to win a Cup. Matthews is a more complete player. Until he figures out how to make his teammates be the best version of themselves and not just send him an outlet pass where they get an assist and Oilers are considered an elite team, I don’t think you can say he’s better than Sid.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby is no slouch. Were talking about a couple great players. No disrespect, but Conner has superior speed, with better stickhandling considering the extra high speed he is at - shot, passing, and intelligence are a wash. Crosby is obviously stronger and lower center of gravity, but conner goes into corners, and always comes out with the puck. Conner can pick pockets with his stick work....Crosby has had the better career with the cups, and gold metal, and much more proven playoff record. Conner is just so much more explosive then Crosby ever was. I mentioned Wayne and Mario, as comparable to Mcdaddy. That is due to me falling out of my seat, while watching these 3. Thats the difference.

Funny how McDavid has yet to reach Crosby's offensive peak yet.

Crosby has superior:

puck protection
Boardwork
IQ
Goalscoring
defensive play
passing

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I think two claims here are exaggerated.

1. Crosby’s skill advantages in some areas are washed out by McDavid’s speed. That doesn’t really make sense given the claim was that McDavid was more skilled.

2. Crosby was never comparable to McDavid in terms of explosiveness. I feel like only people who didn’t watch Crosby’s first 3 years before his ankle sprain would say that. Crosby wasn’t the same after he came back from that because he lost a quarter step and also put on like 10 lbs of muscle. It was only in 2010 when his speed started coming back, which when combined with his greater strength elevated him to his peak.

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
How many zero point games has McDavid had?
Sure he can dominate games and single handedly win them. I would rather my superstar get 2 points consistently than 5 points in a blowout and shut down the next game.

McDavid will win a Stanley Cup in his lifetime, he is too good not to win one, but I think these "stats" can be misleading.

Edit: It seems like McDavid and Crosby has very similar point/game distributions.
Given that they also landed on the same points totals at 500 games - this conversation seems like it's just to pump up McDavid's tires.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So you would take Messier over Lemieux and Crosby combined?

6 cups>5 cups
No. Not sure where you're getting that. I think McDavid is a more talented player than Crosby. All I was saying is that when comparing the player's based on varying statistics, I think cups is far more important than "number of 5 point games"

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Lets get the issue of who leads his team to being a cup contender just about every year. Sid has numerous championships and clearly that is always been his number one priority. McDavid so far has done nothing to come close to those accomplishments. Let see how his career evolves before crowning him with he is better than Sid.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
87.JPG

The numbers check out on this ^^

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad