McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Crosby is no slouch. Were talking about a couple great players. No disrespect, but Conner has superior speed, with better stickhandling considering the extra high speed he is at - shot, passing, and intelligence are a wash. Crosby is obviously stronger and lower center of gravity, but conner goes into corners, and always comes out with the puck. Conner can pick pockets with his stick work....Crosby has had the better career with the cups, and gold metal, and much more proven playoff record. Conner is just so much more explosive then Crosby ever was. I mentioned Wayne and Mario, as comparable to Mcdaddy. That is due to me falling out of my seat, while watching these 3. Thats the difference.
Before you drafted Crosby, Pittsburgh had attendance issues. There was a lot of talk about relocation.

Oilers sold out every damn game for a decade were were in the basement.

It's not even remotely a contest which city has the better hockey market.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm sure this point has already been made, but...

If two players have the same PPG, you should actually prefer fewer 5 point games. A team's objective of winning the most games is enhanced to a greater extent by the player that spreads points consistently.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016

If two players have the same PPG, you should actually prefer fewer 5 point games. A team's objective of winning the most games is enhanced to a greater extent by the player that spreads points consistently.
Here's the break down of their first 506 points which covers their first 371 games

Points CrosbyMcDavid
6+ 21
5+47
4+1815
3+5759
2+152147
1+273277
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Very similar with McDavid being slightly more likely to record a point and Crosby being slightly more likely to record a 2+ point night

You are correct it has already been addressed.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
When crosby was 24 he had 37 points in 22 games as well but not in a terrible canadien division

He did, but let's provide some context and weigh how impressive his 37 points across 22 scattered games really was.

Crosby was of little value that season, seeing as how he missed the first 20 games of the season, came back for for 8 games (12 points), missed another 40, then came back with fresh legs in the final weeks and feasted on teams worn out from the grind of actually playing all season (25 points in final 14 games).

Malkin still managed 25 points in those 14 games as well, after being around to put up 84 in his previous 61.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
when crosby entered the league everyone and their dog was putting up 100 points. 7 guys had 100 points when crosby put up 102. When McDavid won the league scoring title with 100 points no one else even had 90
I like the specific attention on the # of 100-point scorers in each player's rookie season, and total inattention to how that # tailed off the next few years of Crosby's career where it's increased during McDavid's career (last year would have had roughly 7 if you pro-rate for an 82-game season).

HFBoards: where 7 people out of 650+ across 30 NHL rosters = "everyone and their dog."

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
He did, but let's provide some context and weigh how impressive his 37 points across 22 scattered games really was.

Crosby was of little value that season, seeing as how he missed the first 20 games of the season, came back for for 8 games (12 points), missed another 40, then came back with fresh legs in the final weeks and feasted on teams worn out from the grind of actually playing all season (25 points in final 14 games).

Malkin still managed 25 points in those 14 games as well, after being around to put up 84 in his previous 61.
It shows you the damage he'd do in that canadien division

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Offensively McDavid is clearly better than Crosby. No question about that. Crosby more well-rounded. I think I prefer McDavid though. But let's see how he ages. He'll need to adjust when speed goes down.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

But these two players don't have the same PPG.

Career, McD is 1.36 =/= 1.28.

And this year McD is presently 1.81 after 21 games. Crosby's best incidentally was at the same age 24 where he had 1.68 in 22 games.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Pretty impressive. When it's all said and done I wonder how many times he will accomplish this feat?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Counterpoint.

Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs his first 4 seasons in the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs in that era.

Did that make his talent any less of a talent?
And people still always want tear down rebuilds and all out tanks by their teams. Maybe you'll get lucky it'll work out after 5 years later but it's a huge risk when you sabotage.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
When it's all said and done Mcdavid's individual trophy case is gonna dwarf Crosby's. By the end of this season, he'll have as many Harts and more ross'.

Reactions: Sam Cogliano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad