McDavid already has more 5 point games than Crosby

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
At the moment McDavid is better than Crosby, but that's because Crosby is older and a step and a half slower. When Crosby was the same age as McDavid he was as good or better.

Reactions: sanscosm

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I can’t believe that I’m going to defend Crosby because I hate him with a passion.

Crosby played in a different era. He would lead the league in scoring with like 102 points and second place guy would have like 80 points. Scoring was much lower for most of Crosby’s career.

I will say that Crosby right now is a bigger winner than McDavid. let’s see what kind of career he has. Maybe McDavid never wins a Stanley Cup.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I can’t believe that I’m going to defend Crosby because I hate him with a passion.

Crosby played in a different era. He would lead the league in scoring with like 102 points and second place guy would have like 80 points. Scoring was much lower for most of Crosby’s career.

I will say that Crosby right now is a bigger winner than McDavid. let’s see what kind of career he has. Maybe McDavid never wins a Stanley Cup.

You're wrong there. No maybes. He will absolutely never win a Stanley Cup...however, his team might win it some day.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Yup, until he learns to play a complete game like Crosby he will have a tough time pushing his team into contender status like Crosby did. I'd wager McDavid would give up his points for Cups any day of the year.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
For someone who hates Crosby so much I’m surprised this post is so misleading

As a Rangers fan, you think I’m going to like him? At the same time, I know when to give a player his dues. McDavid is a hell of a talent. People calling him better because of his point production is ridiculous when looking at scoring today.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
As a Rangers fan, you think I’m going to like him? At the same time, I know when to give a player his dues. McDavid is a hell of a talent. People calling him better because of his point production is ridiculous when looking at scoring today.

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
Crosby won 1 art Ross by 17 and the other by 6. I just thought you made it sound like he was crushing the competition every year. Otherwise agree with a lot of your thought

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
In reality who cares who’s better. Both are generational talents. It will be pretty hard to beat Crosby’s team accomplishments, 3 Cups, 2 playoff MVPs, multiple Olympic golds. Mcdavid should win at least 1 Cup and Olympic gold during his career but winning 3 will be very hard in today’s NHL.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
So after his latest 5 point dominant performance Connor McDavid is up to 7 games with 5 points or more. That's one more than Sidney Crosby who has just managed to score 5 points or more 6 times during his career. It's pretty amazing that McDavid has been able to have more dominant big 5 point games than Crosby despite playing only 37,1 % or the games Crosby has played. McDavid is also doing it on a much worse team than Crosby. Sure McDavid has his bargain bin poor mans version of Malkin in Draisaitl, but besides that he's only been playing with mostly jobbers and washed up has been. McDavid hasn't even had anyone close to as good as Cris Kunitz. It's only a matter of time before McDavid starts separating himself from Crosby and piling up his resume to become the 5th best player of all time.

First off Crosby played in a much more defensive league during his prime. Also Crosby missed big parts of his prime years due to injuries. Despite that McDavid still scored his 500 point in the same amount of games as Crosby. So equal points in same amount of games but Crosby did it in a less scoring time. Crosby played with below average wingers much of his career as well as Malkin. Pens centers carried many of those teams. I remember the first Cup win in 2009 Malkin had 36 points in 24 playoff games playing with Fedotenko and Talbot. Crosby had 31 points with Kunitz and Guerin at the tail end of his career.

Plus Crosby actually is a winner. McDavid has a lot to prove if he can lead his team to a championship.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Did you mind Mario's comparisons to Gretzky before he won the Cup at the completion of his 7th season (a year he missed 54 regular season games) or with 11 postseason games and 1 appearance through 6 years where as some have pointed out, was during a time where all you had to do to make it was finish inside the top 8 out of 11 teams?

We knew Mario was the best player in the world before those 2 Cups in 91 and 92. Mario just needed to get the team around him to get the team wins. Mario is the most talented player to ever lace up skates even though he needed someone to lace them during much of his prime years due to back problems. Mario 199 point season playing with scrubs on his line including career minor league player Rob Brown who in his prime years was an AHL player. Mario made him look like a All star. Also that 160 point season in 60 games while coming back from chemo treatments for cancer was probably the most amazing thing ever down in hockey all time.

McDavid scored his 500th point in the exact same amount of games as Crosby but did it in a more offensive time. Crosby's PPG is by far the best of his generation and the next closest player is his teammate Malkin. McDavid is in the same class and since Crosby missed some of his best years due to injuries McDavid should have the better individual awards but all take the Cups.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

MoistDadBod

Apr 3, 2017
Down East
First off Crosby played in a much more defensive league during his prime. Also Crosby missed big parts of his prime years due to injuries. Despite that McDavid still scored his 500 point in the same amount of games as Crosby. So equal points in same amount of games but Crosby did it in a less scoring time. Crosby played with below average wingers much of his career as well as Malkin. Pens centers carried many of those teams. I remember the first Cup win in 2009 Malkin had 36 points in 24 playoff games playing with Fedotenko and Talbot. Crosby had 31 points with Kunitz and Guerin at the tail end of his career.

Plus Crosby actually is a winner. McDavid has a lot to prove if he can lead his team to a championship.

League scoring rates are nearly identical actually when comparing the first 5 years of their careers. Keep making stuff up though, we're used to it

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007

He’s only lead the league in scoring twice. In 2007 he finished with 120 pts, 6 better than Thornton. In 2014 he had 104 points, 17 better than Getzlaf. So the only time he won by a margin like you describe only happened once.

Last edited:

KidLine93

May 15, 2012

when crosby entered the league everyone and their dog was putting up 100 points. 7 guys had 100 points when crosby put up 102. When McDavid won the league scoring title with 100 points no one else even had 90

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not to diminish his IQ and hands, but McDavid is an absolute physical beast. The beauty of his game is that every single action is an extension of the previous one. You can see the younger generation has a set of skills that are built on "flow" and he's the best of them. A stick check leads to a rush precisely because as he's sweeping the stick, he's already beginning the stride and creating separation. Doesn't waste a single gesture. His absurd no-look shot against Calgary the other night is the perfect example of his hands and skating building the momentum for his shot. It's pretty incredible.

That being said, he's not nearly the surgical thinker that Crosby is. Crosby is just one of the best minds the game has ever seen, coupled with a ton of heart. I think all these generational guys usually develop between eras - Orr, Gretzky, Crosby, McDavid - and have skillsets that are a hybrid of what used to work and what will work going forward.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Crosby

572 points in 412 games up until he was 24.

McDavid

507 points in 372 games at 24.

McDavid needs to get 65 points in 40 games to catch Crosby's pace.

That being said they are both nearly identical this point in their careers.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Yikes.

The internet is in our pockets and all information, stats, videos, and games of Crosby’s career is at our fingertips and there’s people who think this happened on a regular basis, let alone even once?

Crosby has two Art Rosses. A 6 point win and a 17 point win when other top talent underperformed and missed 20+ games like his own teammate.

No wonder some don’t trust the memories and opinions of those who saw players from 70 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Yup, until he learns to play a complete game like Crosby he will have a tough time pushing his team into contender status like Crosby did. I'd wager McDavid would give up his points for Cups any day of the year.

It has nothing to do with playing a complete game, it's about setting an example for your teammates to follow. Crosby only became decent defensively in recent history.

Crosby plays a skilled grinding game. How can your bottom 6 plugs do nothing when your captain is taking crosschecks around the net and boards? Just look at the past couple years how he helped change Guentzal and Sheary's game. Crosby making his teammates better has been said over and over again his entire career. He has been winning every team award since he was a kid, how many can say the same? Being respected by your teammates for more than just being their best player, pushing them to work harder and be better. That's how Crosby has always led his teams.

What have we heard about McDavid since he was young? His teammates just talk about his speed, change of pace and his puck handling.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It has nothing to do with playing a complete game, it's about setting an example for your teammates to follow. Crosby only became decent defensively in recent history.

Crosby plays a skilled grinding game. How can your bottom 6 plugs do nothing when your captain is taking crosschecks around the net and boards? Just look at the past couple years how he helped change Guentzal and Sheary's game. Crosby making his teammates better has been said over and over again his entire career. He has been winning every team award since he was a kid, how many can say the same? Being respected by your teammates for more than just being their best player, pushing them to work harder and be better. That's how Crosby has always led his teams.

What have we heard about McDavid since he was young? His teammates just talk about his speed, change of pace and his puck handling.
Agreed. Crosby is either one of the most incredibly lucky players of time, according to his detractors, or there's more to be a winning hockey player than just pure happenstance.

I know where I side.

Guys like Gretzky, Beliveau, Crosby, Messier, etc. have that incredibly special "something" that drives them and those around them to be the best. I have yet to really see that from McDavid but he still has plenty of his career ahead of him.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
31 points in 24 games
27 points in 20 games
27 points in 24 games
21 points in 12 games
19 points in 13 games

Mcdavid has come nowhere close to matching those playoff numbers. If he doesn't he will never surpass him

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Counterpoint.

Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs his first 4 seasons in the NHL when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs in that era.

Did that make his talent any less of a talent?
Oh man, those Pittsburgh teams. :laugh: I remember they even waived their starting goalie to the AHL just to tank even more to get Lemieux. They had two defensemen in the lineup where both of them could only pivot in one direction. One to the left and one to the right. That was some pretty disgraceful stuff they did.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
He’s only lead the league in scoring twice. In 2007 he finished with 120 pts, 6 better than Thornton. In 2014 he had 104 points, 17 better than Getzlaf. So the only time he won by a margin like you describe only happened once - 4 years ago.
I too wish there was still 2018...

Reactions: Hatfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad