McDavid About To Pull Away With Art Ross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby's individual shooting percentage is almost double his career average, while his on ice sh% is maybe 20% lower than normal.

Seeing as how on ice % isn't even guaranteed to result in points for Crosby, he just has to be on the ice when others score, his individual shooting % is obviously helping him way, way more than his drop in on ice %.

I would expect Crosby's ppg to drop as well if his percentages normalize as the season progresses.

You'd have a point with saying on ice shooting% wasn't guranteed points if you weren't talking about someone who drives the offense like Crosby (and McDavid, for that matter). In reality, when those guys are on the ice, they will most likely be included in most goals. An increase in on ice shooting percentage means that the line is scoring more goals, and when you see guys like Sid having points on 80% of goals he's on the ice for, it's perfectly logical to say that their production will increase with an increased on ice shooting%. So again, unless you think Crosby will only finish with 40 assists this year, it's unrealistic to expect his PPG to drop much. His goal totals will obviously fall, but I think that fall will be negated out by a rise in assists per game.

This year, Crosby has been on the ice for 26 ES goals. He has points on 22 of them (84.6%). It's basically the same as his career numbers with that too (81.9% over his career). It's the same exact way with McDavid, McDavid has points on 83.3% of ES goals he has been on the ice for in his career and 83.9% this year.

Last edited:

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
got rekt today

had one nice feed to testube, but couldn't get an assist on the 3rd goal cause it was a laine own goal, and missed the empty netter by 0.1 seconds AGAIn LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Damn McDavid is good at scoring with -0.1 seconds left in a game. twice now this year.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Well Mc David is cooling of quite a bit.
I thik both Crosby and Malikn will pass Mc David rather sonner later. The coronation of Mc David certainly was a bit premature.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's been awfully quiet of late. I hope he goes through another mini tear like he did after the last time he went quiet.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I'd be OK if he didn't win it as an Oiler fan. If he wins it, then there's more pressure on him to push for a bigger money contract for the sake of the NHLPA, he'll have plenty of chances to win the Art Ross, especially as Crosby/Malkin get older. Making the playoffs is a much bigger get.

I think though he caught some nasty flu a few games ago and that's impacted his game a bit, he hasn't looked quite as sharp, the Christmas break is coming at a good time. Western teams in general are really getting played to death this year.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think Sid wins it as things stand, but who knows. Malkin would have a solid chance and be my pick if they hadn't broken up him and Kessel's line, like they just did.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
McDavid will be the LeBron James of hockey, player who is far ahead of anybody else, can do everything possible on the court and there's no way to stop him. And yes he will outrun anyone else.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I think Sid wins it as things stand, but who knows. Malkin would have a solid chance and be my pick if they hadn't broken up him and Kessel's line, like they just did.

I also think Crosby having a better team gives him more chances to gather points. If both are healthy I see Crosby edging him out by 5-10 points but significantly more goals.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I also think Crosby having a better team gives him more chances to gather points. If both are healthy I see Crosby edging him out by 5-10 points but significantly more goals.

I don't get why this is still brought up after 12 seasons of both players, especially Crosby, producing in all situations.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Like Soundwave said, he's been playing through the flu and you can tell. He doesn't have that extra gear he had throughout most of the season and it's effecting him big time on the rush.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crosby was much better at the same age, and Ovie and Malkin probably as well.

Nope. Adjust for scoring rates, because 05-06 and 06-07 had abnormally high amount PPs gifted out, and their production is about the same.

And even for LeBron, he was not the best player in the NBA right away, Kobe, Duncan, and Shaq were better than him for a couple of years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Hard to say because neither played in the NHL at his age. Considering Malkin was nowhere near the scoring leaders at age 20, it's pretty doubtful on him though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Like Soundwave said, he's been playing through the flu and you can tell. He doesn't have that extra gear he had throughout most of the season and it's effecting him big time on the rush.

He still has the gear, just maybe not the energy levels to do it as consistently right now. The way he blew by OEL and bounced off his attempted interference like he wasn't even there, to set up Lucic for a tap in (which he missed) was the same Connor.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Nope. Adjust for scoring rates, because 05-06 and 06-07 had abnormally high amount PPs gifted out, and their production is about the same.

And even for LeBron, he was not the best player in the NBA right away, Kobe, Duncan, and Shaq were better than him for a couple of years.

LeBron scored 20.9 PPG, 5.9 Assists and 5.5 rebounds at his rookie season, so he was clearly in top-10. Same place where i rate McDavid for his first season.

In his next season he scored 27.2 PPG, 7.2 assists and 7,4 rebounds. In points only ones ahead of him was Kobe and Iverson. But LeBron made more assists than Kobe , more rebounds than Iverson and he played in much worse team than both of them. Still making huge impact and turning games around by himself. So as an outcome i think he was at same level that time than McDavid is now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Probably?

McDavid is fast but he can be shut down. He will get his points but unless/until his shot gets better he won't put up great goal numbers in his career, so he will have to rely on his teammates more for his points.

2 points in his last 6 games, no points in 13 of the teams 35 games, Crosby, Tarasenko, Malkin will all probably pass him before the calendar flips to 2017.

p.s. he may well still win the Ross, but he better step it up.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably?

McDavid is fast but he can be shut down. He will get his points but unless/until his shot gets better he won't put up great goal numbers in his career, so he will have to rely on his teammates more for his points.

2 points in his last 6 games, no points in 13 of the teams 35 games, Crosby, Tarasenko, Malkin will all probably pass him before the calendar flips to 2017.

Criticizing his consistency seems an odd thing to do considering he's never gone more than 2 games in a row without a point.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Criticizing his consistency seems an odd thing to do considering he's never gone more than 2 games in a row without a point.

Not sure its a criticism just noting it.

For comparisons sake, Crosby, Karlsson, Seguin or Tarasenko haven't either, and Panarin, after the first three games of the season, hasn't either. I'm sure there are one or two more I only scanned the top scorers.

I'm rooting for him to win it, I just think he needs to step it up or he will go from number one to number five real fast.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure its a criticism just noting it.

For comparisons sake, Crosby, Karlsson, Seguin or Tarasenko haven't either, and Panarin, after the first three games of the season, hasn't either. I'm sure there are one or two more I only scanned the top scorers.

I'm rooting for him to win it, I just think he needs to step it up or he will go from number one to number five real fast.

Kind of seemed like it, but fair enough. I was referring to all his NHL games to date though, not just this season that he's never gone more than 2 games without a point. Even Crosby didn't do that in his first 80 games.

With that said, I have no idea if he'll win it. Crosby is still the best player in the world and the Pens are looking incredible. He's still setting up a ton of quality chances and easily should have had an assist or 2 tonight (Draisaitl put one off the post on a wide open net, and Lucic missed the puck on a wide open net). He really isn't getting a ton of help, but to be fair he hasn't played his best hockey of late. He'll catch fire again soon enough, its only a matter of time. Last time people brought up him going into a scoring drought he answered it with a stretch of 7 or 8 games at 2ppg.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
With that said, I have no idea if he'll win it. Crosby is still the best player in the world and the Pens are looking incredible. He's still setting up a ton of quality chances and easily should have had an assist or 2 tonight (Draisaitl put one off the post on a wide open net, and Lucic missed the puck on a wide open net). He really isn't getting a ton of help, but to be fair he hasn't played his best hockey of late. He'll catch fire again soon enough, its only a matter of time. Last time people brought up him going into a scoring drought he answered it with a stretch of 7 or 8 games at 2ppg.

This has nothing to with Crosby's production, or perhaps it is because of the Pens are looking incredible.

When Crosby doesn't score the Pens are 1-3-1 this year.

When McDavid doesn't score the Oilers are 5-5-3 this year.

Note the difference in the number of games they went scoreless.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This has nothing to with Crosby's production, or perhaps it is because of the Pens are looking incredible.

When Crosby doesn't score the Pens are 1-3-1 this year.

When McDavid doesn't score the Oilers are 5-5-3 this year.

Note the difference in the number of games they went scoreless.

What on earth is this response? Why so defensive when nothing in my post suggested Crosby is a product of being on a better team. The statement was showing how hot the Pens as a whole look and how well they're all playing, which especially goes to Crosby. I honestly find it hilarious how you go off about people making excuses about McDavid, yet you jump on anything you can and take it completely out of context to try to form some sort of argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad