McDavid About To Pull Away With Art Ross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Took the scoring lead tonight after going through a huge scoring drought.

If we are making guesses, I would guess Laine cools off. Scheifele is a great player and I'm a huge fan of his, but I believe Laine will as a rookie cool off, in turn dropping Scheifele's point totals too.

Kucherov should suffer too with Stamkos getting injured.

With Panarin and Kane separated for the time being, Kane looked very off tonight vs. Edmonton. If he can get back to his game, then he obviously will challenge McDavid.

Seguin is another contender.

Of course Crosby is tied for 1st in goals and I do believe he will find his way to the top echelon of scorers soon.

McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Seguin. Those are the four contenders in my eyes. I do believe that if the Oilers PP can get going a little bit (they looked incredible tonight), that McDavid can easily win the scoring race a la Kane last year. He has been showing his dominance in the past few games and looks unstoppable out there. For example Kane looked like a trainwreck tonight compared to him.

Interesting to see how it all shakes down, but I find it very unlikely that anyone truly challenges him this season.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary

If we are making guesses, I would guess Laine cools off. Scheifele is a great player and I'm a huge fan of his, but I believe Laine will as a rookie cool off, in turn dropping Scheifele's point totals too.

With Panarin and Kane separated for the time being, Kane looked very off tonight vs. Edmonton. If he can get back to his game, then he obviously will challenge McDavid.

Of course Crosby is tied for 1st in goals and I do believe he will find his way to the top echelon of scorers soon.

McDavid, Crosby, Kane, Seguin. Those are the four contenders in my eyes. I do believe that if the Oilers PP can get going a little bit (they looked incredible tonight), that McDavid can easily win the scoring race a la Kane last year. He has been showing his dominance in the past few games and looks unstoppable out there. For example Kane looked like a trainwreck tonight compared to him.

Interesting to see how it all shakes down, but I find it very unlikely that anyone truly challenges him this season.

What drought? He's been getting points at a pretty consistent pace despite what people think. Scheifele is an elite player, but him and Laine are both shooting 25% which is obviously not sustainable. Scheifele will finish top 15 in points but I think he has pretty much no chance at challenging for the Art Ross this season.

The two that I think will be right there until the end are Crosby and Kane. I personally think Crosby is still the Art Ross favorite from this point onwards, unless of course he gets injured again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Seguin, Crosby, Malkin, Kane will all be in the hunt, but it is impressive when you think that McDavid is only 19 years old. Still a teenager.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Well, 2 days ago there was a thread about him "underperforming", now hes about to pull away with the Art Ross... What a change 2 days can make...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I still think Crosby will win, but I wouldn't be surprised if the top 3 were Crosby-Kane-McD

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

It would be great for McD to win the ArtRoss and he has a pretty good chance. But i won't disregard Scheifele just yet.

Team's are keying on him right now, once the reinforcements comes back, that is the JETS actual middle 6 line up; Little, Perrault, Armia, Stafford, Matthias. There will be more veteran punch in the line up and less pressure on the Super line :) + Capt Wheels.

Hoping for a crazy scoring race throughout the year. Scheifele and McD looks like good buddies too, can't wait for their twitter punch lines.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I doubt he pulls away in the Art Ross race, but he has a legit shot at winning it. more important for him is leading the Oil back to a playoff appearance. Despite McJesus being McJesus, winning a PO round is not in the cards this year, so, once that's done he can hop a plane and head to Paris for another shot at a gold medal. He can win the scoring race there as well. And that would make for a successful season.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
In theory he should pull away as the season goes on. The Oilers have really underperformed on the PP. It seems they are starting to click now.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's got like 12p in his last 12gp? I'd hardly call that a drought.

I think he's definitely in the top 5-10 of legit contenders, but there's a lot of hockey left. Will be interested to see how he does over a full season. His last season in junior he started off on fire and then cooled off a bit (though he did have that hand injury). I think he should actually improve but it's a long season and it's the first time he'll have gone the distance.

If I had to guess, Crosby finishes strong and takes it.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
He'll do it. 101 points. Crosby runner up with 97 points and he'll get his annual best PPG consolation prize.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
WHY?!?? STOPPP PLEASE
Literally EXACTLY this time last year, some Oiler fan made a thread about Taylor Hall winning the Hart because he was top 3 in points.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He's been my pick from the get go. Although, Crosby has been on a roll from the start of his season. Probably will end up a battle between these two.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
benn has been averaging around 90 last couple seasons...especially with all the injured stars and Benn struggling i would think seguins point rate will only go up. Ill go with Seguin-McD-Crosby-Malkin tight race til the end

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he wasn't in a drought... a goal scoring drought ya, but not a point drought.

Regardless I fully expect him to be top 3 in scoring forsure by seasons end with a VERY good chance as top scorer

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He needs to start pulling away and actually have the highest PPG average before you can suggest that. Just barely taking over 1st place in total points and suggesting a couple of reasons why other players might not keep up isn't enough. Now I do think he's one of the best bets to win it, just your rationale seems a little faulty.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, 2 days ago there was a thread about him "underperforming", now hes about to pull away with the Art Ross... What a change 2 days can make...

Or, you know, the threads were made from different posters who have differing opinions. Hard concept to understand I guess.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
WHY?!?? STOPPP PLEASE
Literally EXACTLY this time last year, some Oiler fan made a thread about Taylor Hall winning the Hart because he was top 3 in points.

Lets be honest though. There's a night and day difference between the skill level of Connor McDavid and Taylor Hall. Suggesting Hall might win the Hart was ludicrous, suggesting McDavid might win the Art Ross is quite realistic.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I think its amazing is he hasn't even looked my he is locked in yet. if he had players who could actually finish (cough lucic and eberle) he would be 10 points up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Just a couple things. Kane played like a trainwreck last night, but when he's hot, he's hot, and has the ability to put up a large amount of points in a short period. He just isn't right now. Most the Hawks team looked like a trainwreck, though.

As for the bolded, the Hawks abysmal PK is what makes opposing PP's look incredible. It's every team, not just the Oilers. :laugh:

Not trying to take away from the Oilers. They severely dominated the 1st and 3rd period last night. And Talbot outplayed Crow, who had what is likely his worst game of the season. But a league-worst 68% PK will make any PP look amazing.

Last edited:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
OP Forgot About Sid

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad