McDavid About To Pull Away With Art Ross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
I get a good chuckle out of Penguins fans that get so offended when others say McDavid is the better player.

Crosby has a world class resume yet some of the most respected hockey players, GMs, Coaches, and broadcasters say that McDavid is the best player they have seen in their life. I've been watching hockey my whole life and have seen the entire careers of many greats. And McDavid is the best hockey player I've ever seen as well.

I don't care who has a high PPG or more medals. That is what i see when i watch. :)

Unless you are about 15, there is no way this is true right now...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I get a good chuckle out of Penguins fans that get so offended when others say McDavid is the better player.

Crosby has a world class resume yet some of the most respected hockey players, GMs, Coaches, and broadcasters say that McDavid is the best player they have seen in their life. I've been watching hockey my whole life and have seen the entire careers of many greats. And McDavid is the best hockey player I've ever seen as well.

I don't care who has a high PPG or more medals. That is what i see when i watch. :)

Sorry but this kind of stuff always makes me laugh.

Talk about pressure.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I'm not offended. I think McDavid is in the discussion for best in the world. I don't think he's there yet, but its close enough that I understand how people could disagree with me. But Pens fans saying McDavid is still behind Sidney Crosby certainly isn't an insult to McDavid. Some respected people say McDavid is the best in the world. Others say Crosby is.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Crosby has actually been picking up a lot of points thanks to Justin Schulz lately.. not Malkin or Kessel.

McDavid could really use a guy like Schulz to help him out. oh wait... :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah we aren't offended. We will correct you that he is not. Not until he can do half the stuff Sid did at the start of his career. It's not us being sore. It's us saying you earn that title after more than a year and a ****ing half kid.

Sid leads the league in goals. Malkin is so close and he hasn't even played two great games in a row all year.

So enjoy it? Mcdavid is pretty damn good.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I don't seem to recall any saying he's the best player they've ever seen. I've heard best skater or fastest with the puck...any specific examples?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh

You're obviously very young then, so let me try to say this without upsetting you.

Lemieux retired in 2006, 10 years ago, and McDavid has a near zero chance of approaching his greatness. So, unless you're 10 years old or younger, you're statement is false.

Listen, we aren't trying to take away from McDavid. He's great. He's fast, has hands, and has great vision. However, with his skill, his ceiling is probably that of Crosby. Doesn't make McDavid worse. In fact, McDavid could still end up having the better career, especially if he avoid injuries that plagued Crosby. But, he doesn't look better than Crosby did at the same age.

Oh, and I've been watching hockey for over 30 years. I got to see many of the greats. If coaches, GMs, etc are honestly saying that he is the best player they've ever seen, implying that he's better than Gretzky... I don't know what to say. They're just wrong. And stupid. And wrong.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
You're obviously very young then, so let me try to say this without upsetting you.

Lemieux retired in 2006, 10 years ago, and McDavid has a near zero chance of approaching his greatness. So, unless you're 10 years old or younger, you're statement is false.

Listen, we aren't trying to take away from McDavid. He's great. He's fast, has hands, and has great vision. However, with his skill, his ceiling is probably that of Crosby. Doesn't make McDavid worse. In fact, McDavid could still end up having the better career, especially if he avoid injuries that plagued Crosby. But, he doesn't look better than Crosby did at the same age.

Oh, and I've been watching hockey for over 30 years. I got to see many of the greats. If coaches, GMs, etc are honestly saying that he is the best player they've ever seen, implying that he's better than Gretzky... I don't know what to say. They're just wrong. And stupid. And wrong.

So you're saying 30 years of watching hockey makes you a better evaluator of talent than folks who have worked in hockey their entire lives?

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Fascinating comment. Did you, by chance, happen to follow the careers of 66 and 99? They were pretty decent. I think most people would agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
there is nobody out there saying McDavid is better than Gretzky

Nope, but it still doesn't make the "I've been watching hockey forever so my opinion is more important" statement any less hilarious or ridiculous.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
If hockey gods have a sense of humor, they'll let someone else win what's apparently considered a two-horse race between Crosby and McDavid.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Fascinating comment. Did you, by chance, happen to follow the careers of 66 and 99? They were pretty decent. I think most people would agree.

Add Jagr as well. I'm a huge Sid fan boy but even as a Pens fan Jagr > Sid. Jagr's peak was unbelievable, even better than what Sid has been able to do.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Malkin is injury prone, he has 1 70+ games played in 7 years, 138 games missed in that span.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia