Proposal: McAvoy to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Holy crap. I'm extremely high on McAvoy and wanted badly for the Leafs to trade up and draft him, but pump the breaks a bit. Let's wait until he actually starts looking like Drew Doughty before we start valuing him like a 21 year old Drew Doughty. Huge overpayment from the Leafs here.

Reactions: Holymakinaw

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Value wise I think it's fairly close. Needs wise, it's not a good deal for either team.

Liljegren isn't NHL ready, Boston is in win now mode. Dermott is looking to be a top 3 D.

McAvoy would be an incredible upgrade for Toronto, but to sacrifice Nylander + Dermott + Lil+ a 1st for him seems counter productive for Toronto.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Dermott is small sample size, and liljegren is no sample size.. yet ive seen a leaf fan claim liljegren will be > mcavoy... or that mcavoy is overated

Really no point for boston to move him to toronto at all.... unless matthews is in deal and even then its questionable
LOL...
I want you to ask any Boston fan if they would have traded Bergeron at 22 years old for a first year defensemen who put up 30 points and have them laugh at you.

What a joke.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I can play this game too...

Cody Franson - 21
Paul Martin-24
Jeff Petry- 25

Here's a few more to add:

Myers - 48
Del Zotto - 37

Bogosian and Schenn also looked like future studs after their rookie years. Fact is d-men are much harder to predict so lets wait until he actually plays like one of the league's best before we start putting him in that conversation. It's ok to think he's got future #1 stud written all over him; I personally believe that too and he could challenge for a Norris one day. But that doesn't magically make him worth a package like this until he proves he's capable of that. I can't even remember the last time a player returned a package as valuable as the one in the OP.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Here's a few more to add:

Myers - 48
Del Zotto - 37

Bogosian and Schenn also looked like future studs after their rookie years. Fact is d-men are much harder to predict so lets wait until he actually plays like one of the league's best before we start putting him in that conversation. It's ok to think he's got future #1 stud written all over him; I personally believe that too and he could challenge for a Norris one day. But that doesn't magically make him worth a package like this until he proves he's capable of that. I can't even remember the last time a player returned a package as valuable as the one in the OP.

Its like the OP knew what he was doing when he started the thread. Crazy!

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I don't think point totals is why the Bruins are so high on McAvoy but sure carry on.

If you watched him play you get it. You don't have to tear down another team's player because you don't like a trade proposal.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
You don't trade McAvoy unless it's for Matthews or Marner plus, people haven't learned it seems at how expensive these young Stud DMAN cost.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I wouldn’t even do McAvoy for Matthews because we can’t afford to lose Charlie, let alone send him to a division rival. This isn’t a knock on Matthews at all and the OP has great value, we just really need McAvoy where he is at this point time more than (almost) any pieces we could get via trade.
Preposterous. Any GM in the league would trade McAvoy for Matthews and they wouldn't have to think about it.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
How is it "way too much"? I haven't seen a deal on these boards involving Nylander where Leafs fans feel like it isn't "way too much".
It would be very hard to argue McAvoy not being the number one piece in this whole deal, and not by an insignificant margin. Add to that a kid who looks to be a top 6 and the value is more than fair.

A 22 year old winger who is arguably 3rd-4th best roster player, a 21 year old defenseman coming off a fantastic (albeit short) rookie season, our best prospect, and our 1st is too much for just about any player in the league. When's the last time a trade returned that much?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bruins say no here too. McAvoy is awesome and you don't trade players like him. It's not really about value, it's about both teams not wanting to gamble with such significant assets.

Reactions: wintersej and cj19

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is one of those proposals that both teams legit pass on. It's a lot for Toronto to give, and the Bruin won't/should not deal McAvoy.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
This is one of those proposals that both teams legit pass on. It's a lot for Toronto to give, and the Bruin won't/should not deal McAvoy.

Yes for sure. Toronto is giving up an incredible amount of value in this deal, it doesn't make sense for them I don't think. McAvoy is the future for the Bruins, it would have to be a slam dunk for me to consider it (Matthews level deal, which the TML wouldn't do).

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yes for sure. Toronto is giving up an incredible amount of value in this deal, it doesn't make sense for them I don't think. McAvoy is the future for the Bruins, it would have to be a slam dunk for me to consider it (Matthews level deal, which the TML wouldn't do).
Teams don't trade young (what look to be) #1Ds. I doubt Boston is goung to kickstart a new trend.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
At least this time enough value was going to the other side. But yeah as Bs fans say, McAvoy should be untouchable. Also to the guy who said donato is as valuable as nylander.... yeah no, not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad