Injury Report: May 2021: Giroux (broken foot), Hayes (core-muscle surgery), Braun (foot) + Foerster (collarbone)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't pay depth forwards $8.25M. :DD

Flyers aren't going anywhere unless players like Frost, Allison, Farabee emerge.
In two years, Voracek and JVR will be 33, they're not leading this team anywhere.

A top line player isn't a depth player. Despite your insistence on belting out these lies that he and G are "middle 6" forwards, they are in fact still top line players. Votacek may not be as good as he was, but thats more a testament to what he was before as opposed to what he is now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A top line player isn't a depth player. Despite your insistence on belting out these lies that he and G are "middle 6" forwards, they are in fact still top line players. Votacek may not be as good as he was, but thats more a testament to what he was before as opposed to what he is now.

If Voracek's defensive play is going to continue to be a detriment like it was this season, he'll need to score more than 60-65 points/82 to be a net positive for this team. Especially at over $8 million.

If he's still a Flyer next season, I hope that his defensive play was more of a symptom of this disastrous season we had as a whole and he bounces back to being passable in that regard.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If Voracek's defensive play is going to continue to be a detriment like it was this season, he'll need to score more than 60 points/82 to be a net positive for this team. Especially at over $8 million.

Bad things happen when you ask a player who thrives on possession to start his shift off by giving up possession of the puck.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's fair and I can buy that is part of the issue for sure.

I dont think its the only issue, but i also dont think its a coincidence that he and the rest of the team have all looked collectively terrible this season. Jake was never a defensive stalwart, so the bar should be relatively low. He is geting older, and he likely is slowing down, so thats probably playing a part as well.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just for reference, let's compare Voracek to past-Voracek.

Points per 60​
Rank among his
13 seasons​
ES​
2.79​
1st​
PP​
3.46​
10th​
All
Strengths​
2.89​
4th​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So he's actually having one of the most productive years of his career. Certainly scoring like a top line player.

19th in the league in ES points/60. Slightly elevated shooting % at ES, but his ES assist rate is still the highest of his career and it's balanced out by an unsustainably low shooting % on the PP.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just for reference, let's compare Voracek to past-Voracek.

Points per 60​
Rank among his
13 seasons​
ES​
2.79​
1st​
PP​
3.46​
10th​
All
Strengths​
2.89​
4th​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So he's actually having one of the most productive years of his career. Certainly scoring like a top line player.

19th in the league in ES points/60. Slightly elevated shooting % at ES, but his ES assist rate is still the highest of his career and it's balanced out by an unsustainably low shooting % on the PP.

Yeah, thats cool and all, but ive moved on to measuring playming forwards by the number of shots they block, so Jake actually sucks. Thanks though.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Lazcynski also missed camp due to offseason core muscle surgery.

Looks like he missed 6 of the 20 games the Phantoms played before he was called up.
Isn't hip labrum repair the same thing G and Ghost had that took them more than a whole year to recover from?

If so, does this mean Laczynski might be back by camp, but won't be at full speed until the year after?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Isn't hip labrum repair the same thing G and Ghost had that took them more than a whole year to recover from?

If so, does this mean Laczynski might be back by camp, but won't be at full speed until the year after?

I don’t think so. But I forget what they had exactly. Core I think which is generic but not labrum.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don’t think so. But I forget what they had exactly. Core I think which is generic but not labrum.
Here's some detail, G's was a labrum tear, per second link:

Giroux and Gostisbehere both underwent right hip and bilateral lower abdominal procedures. The hip surgeries were performed Dr. Eric Kropf and the abdominal surgeries by Dr. William Meyers.

Hextall last Saturday said both injuries are common. "This is a typical hockey hip, whatever you want to call it, and it leads to the abdominal area, so they're connected," Hextall said. "One leads to the other. Like I said, this is a typical hip surgery that a lot of hockey players are getting.

Claude Giroux, Shayne Gostisbehere undergo successful surgeries

Giroux said recovery from May 17 surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip, as well as bilateral abdominal tears, was more difficult than any previous injury he's dealt with....

Claude Giroux of Flyers getting comfortable with hip

Given G and Ghost both came back from their surgeries, but had subpar years, then used the surgery as a reason, we should not expect much from Laczynski, who had abdominal surgery last off season.

Why can't we have nice things?

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Here's some detail, G's was a torn labrum tear, per second link:

Giroux and Gostisbehere both underwent right hip and bilateral lower abdominal procedures. The hip surgeries were performed Dr. Eric Kropf and the abdominal surgeries by Dr. William Meyers.

Hextall last Saturday said both injuries are common. "This is a typical hockey hip, whatever you want to call it, and it leads to the abdominal area, so they're connected," Hextall said. "One leads to the other. Like I said, this is a typical hip surgery that a lot of hockey players are getting.

Giroux said recovery from May 17 surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip, as well as bilateral abdominal tears, was more difficult than any previous injury he's dealt with....

Given G and Ghost both came back from their surgeries, but had subpar years, then used the surgery as a reason, we should not expect much from Laczynski, who had abdominal surgery last off season.

I stand corrected. I would think their surgeries will be different than Laczynski as no one has said he needed core surgeries.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I stand corrected. I would think their surgeries will be different than Laczynski as no one has said he needed core surgeries.
I'm worried because Tanner missed the short training camp and part of AHL season still recovering from core surgery.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Here's some detail, G's was a torn labrum tear, per second link:

I totally forgot about ghost having the hip surgery. Coupled with 3-4 knee surgeries by 27 years old, that’s not good.

Actually, I think this injury isn’t mentioned much when ghosts’ injuries are discussed. Always the knees.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm worried because Tanner missed the short training camp and part of AHL season still recovering from core surgery.

Certainly feel for the guy. It really does feel like this team is cursed. I believe in the law of averages so hopefully we get some nice payback as a franchise. Look at Lindros, Primeau, Pronger, etc vs a guy like OV who is going to play forever.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know hockey is very laborious on the hips but do the Flyers end up with more players and prospects getting this surgery then the average franchise? Its almost starting to feel like some issue with their training regime's make them more susspectible to these injuries.
Maybe it has something to do with carrying deadweight teammates on their backs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad