Injury Report: May 2021: Giroux (broken foot), Hayes (core-muscle surgery), Braun (foot) + Foerster (collarbone)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yet the Isles are among the league leaders every year under Trotz.
If you can't get the puck to the net because the other team is effective at blocking shots, it's hard to score.
And blocked shots often flip the ice.

That is what that roster must do to get the job done because it isn't exactly the most talented group outside of a few players, and it entails a ton of risk. His Caps roster wasn't nearly as prolific with blocks.

A team like TB is on the other end of the spectrum.

But then you get a team like Buffalo or NJ, who defends badly on a basic level and also doesn't block shots as the last stand.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I suspect that aside from teams coached by guys like Tortorella, there is not much variance in shot blocks by rosters between coaches. If a roster has enough talent to suppress shot attempts they won't need to block, and the players will use that ability regardless of who the coach is. Or if the roster overall lacks the ability to suppress shot attempts but is good enough to stay in shooting lanes, they're gonna rack up blocks regardless of coach and system. This Islanders team has relied on blocks long before Trotz was hired. They led in blocks before he was coach, too.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Blocks are like hits where people drastically overrate it simply because it's what good ol' defensive defensemen do.

Cool, the opponent had the puck and you were lucky to get hit by it. Amazing job.
I mean, a great effective block is like a great effective hit. Huzzah to both.

But if a player's relying heavily on blocks then it's probably because other parts of their game are deficient.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I suspect that aside from teams coached by guys like Tortorella, there is not much variance in shot blocks by rosters between coaches. If a roster has enough talent to suppress shot attempts they won't need to block, and the players will use that ability regardless of who the coach is. Or if the roster overall lacks the ability to suppress shot attempts but is good enough to stay in shooting lanes, they're gonna rack up blocks regardless of coach and system. This Islanders team has relied on blocks long before Trotz was hired. They led in blocks before he was coach, too.
What do these four teams have in common?
Vegas 843 blocks
Minnesota 825
Edmonton 801
Isles 797

Toronto 708
Caps 683 - 2017-18: 1220 (833 pro-rated to 56 games)
Colorado 677
Flyers 669
Pens 664
Carolina 658
Boston 658
TB 645
Florida 617

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
More injury news:
Robert Hagg

Did you have any other injuries, besides the shoulder injury, this season that you can disclose?
Started the season with pulling both of my groins, so it was kind of hard to skate. That’s what I mean. There’s stuff you can’t control you have to battle through it and do the best of it.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
More injury news:
Robert Hagg

Did you have any other injuries, besides the shoulder injury, this season that you can disclose?
Started the season with pulling both of my groins, so it was kind of hard to skate. That’s what I mean. There’s stuff you can’t control you have to battle through it and do the best of it.

Must have healed up the morning of Lake Tahoe

Reactions: Nizzle and Adtar02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad