Injury Report: May 2021: Giroux (broken foot), Hayes (core-muscle surgery), Braun (foot) + Foerster (collarbone)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There also may be a problem with Giroux and Patrick moving to and fro from wing to center, the defensive responsibilities are different.
One reason Laughton seemed to have broken out this season may be he's played wing on a regular basis and not thinking as much. And moving back to center may be one reason he's in a slump.

This is where Patrick's struggles and Frost's injury really hurt the team this year, now with Laczynski potentially locking down the 4C spot, there may be more stability on lines next year, Frost at 3C and keep Laughton, G and Patrick on the wing. If Frost and Patrick step up, you can move Patrick to 3C and Frost to 2C and Hayes to wing down the road. But don't constantly switch them in season.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I doubt Frost will start with the NHL team next season, barring a dominant camp/preseason.

He just missed an entire season due to injury. And his injury is the type that will have prevented him from improving his upper body strength, which was already an issue.

Reactions: marcsson68

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I replied to DH on this. I don't blame Patrick for assuming his goalie could cover up a routine puck. You don't always want to barrel back into your goalie for no reason - and there was no reason. He was going to come back in under control and tie Crosby's stick up if he started hacking at Hart. Next to Crosby, Patrick was the most surprised person in the place when Hart coughed it up.
I just disagree.

"Play until you hear the whistle" is a constant mantra from coaches. Patrick had the ability to stay between the net and Crosby and, as you said, assumed the outcome. He was wrong.

You know who didn't assume? Crosby. And he got rewarded for not stopping on playing to the whistle.

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't think it was a matter of keeping up with Crosby. You can see that Patrick took a look at the situation, figured there was no possible way Hart could screw up, and cruised in carefully to make sure Crosby didn't take a poke at him as he covered up the puck (albeit not Crosby's style so no urgency). If it had been Marchand, I'm sure he would have come back harder to cut him off and protect Hart.

You can see him getting his stick ready to tie Crosby's up, but he never expected the puck to be loose.

Nolan has been backchecking hard this season, so I don't think it was effort or speed, just the mistaken assumption the goalie wouldn't bobble the puck like a pin-out hand grenade...

Always play to the whistle. Until you know the goalie has the puck covered and you hear the whistle you need to make sure to cover one of the most dangerous players in the world. I agree Nolan has worked hard back checking all year but that is a mental error. Its the sort of little thing a young player does and gets burned by and hopefully learns to not do again.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
There was more than one problem on that goal.

Yes, Hart made as big of a gaffe as you’ll see.

But if you watch the replay, Patrick’s “effort” is downright pathetic. He doesn’t put up any fight. It’s embarrassing.
Maybe he needs the Letterkenny coach. Come to think of it, Patty does kind of remind me of Riley with that hair and baby face.

Reactions: pooch

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't seen the play, so I can't comment, but I've noticed something on a play a few games ago. Giroux was high in the slot as the puck went behind the net. Both defenders went down low, as did a couple of opposition forwards, while a third went to the net all alone. Giroux started to move towards the forward at the net but then stopped, hesitated, and went to the wall. If one of those forwards had recovered the puck and passes it to the net, it's probably a goal. It ended up being a nothing play as the puck was cleared up the other wall, but Giroux's body language on the play was so weird. Like he wanted to go to the net to cover the attacking forward, even thought he should go to the net, but then something else then pulled him to the wall instead.

Now, I'm not a systems guy, so I could be imagining all of this, but all I could think of was that that is where AV wanted him to be. On the wall ready to get the clear, not defending the net front. It would certainly explain the multiple times a game that there's an opposition forward uncovered at the net, as well as the general confusion on where everyone should be in the defensive zone that seems to be a regular thing.

Not sure it’s AV or it’s the assistants system, but I agree. It’s clear they are all about clearing it out along the boards on D and getting it to the D on offense. It’s extremely predictable. In our defensive zone they know you just have to pinch and cover the boards and you’ll have an easy keep and turnover. In our offensive zone they know just cover the points and block shots and you’ll have a turnover and may have to beat guys like Hagg or Braun. It allows teams to secure just a few points on the ice but control the entire game. In a playoff series it’s very easy to prepare for and it shows. It’s a system that benefits no one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad