Injury Report: May 2021: Giroux (broken foot), Hayes (core-muscle surgery), Braun (foot) + Foerster (collarbone)

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I agree....but I also think it's clear they want a "vet" who "plays safe"over another young D in the lineup.

I'm sure that's the case and they also probably think Z and Hog need more time in the A. Hog more to acclimate to NA hockey than anything. Morin though I don't see the harm in it if he's going to play. He already looks really good at D in the AHL level after not even playing D previously. No reason he cant get a few games over Prosser while the Phantoms are in hiatus. Maybe not a big swing either way but just an opportunity to work him into the rotation, get him some NHL time and see what he can contribute.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm sure that's the case and they also probably think Z and Hog need more time in the A. Hog more to acclimate to NA hockey than anything. Morin though I don't see the harm in it if he's going to play. He already looks really good at D in the AHL level after not even playing D previously. No reason he cant get a few games over Prosser while the Phantoms are in hiatus. Maybe not a big swing either way but just an opportunity to work him into the rotation, get him some NHL time and see what he can contribute.
I think with Morin, they will leave him down and not expose him anymore to waivers....just to keep extra depth since Hagg is hurt and already lost Friedman.

But who really knows what they think.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Prosser is a RHD. So you have to replace him with Ghost or Gus on the right side. Morin is strictly LHD.
They play Prosser limited minutes when he does dress.
I think AV is worried about a Gus - Ghost pairing.

They've only played 23 minutes with good results, but the same can be said about the 29 minutes of Hagg - Ghost.
AV may simply think that's a fluke, and playing them together on an extended basis will tempt opposing HCs to fore check them hard.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Prosser is a RHD. So you have to replace him with Ghost or Gus on the right side. Morin is strictly LHD.

They've only played 23 minutes with good results, but the same can be said about the 29 minutes of Hagg - Ghost.
AV may simply think that's a fluke, and playing them together on an extended basis will tempt opposing HCs to fore check them hard.

Well he's an idiot because Ghost - Prosser was as bad as a pair can possibly be. At least with Gus - Ghost they will be a threat in the ozone.

AV and Yeo have handled the D worse than I have ever seen an any Flyers coaching staff handle any D we've had in the last 25 + years.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Well he's an idiot because Ghost - Prosser was as bad as a pair can possibly be. At least with Gus - Ghost they will be a threat in the ozone.

AV and Yeo have handled the D worse than I have ever seen an any Flyers coaching staff handle any D we've had in the last 25 + years.
I hate to say it, but their D is horribly overrated.
I watch the rangers on occasion and no doubt Adam fox would be the flyers best defenseman and Miller is better than Sanheim and Myers.
I know that’s tough on the hextall clan. Myself included.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hate to say it, but their D is horribly overrated.
I watch the rangers on occasion and no doubt Adam fox would be the flyers best defenseman and Miller is better than Sanheim and Myers.
I know that’s tough on the hextall clan. Myself included.

Miller is not better than Sanheim.

Reactions: renberg

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I think with Morin, they will leave him down and not expose him anymore to waivers....just to keep extra depth since Hagg is hurt and already lost Friedman.

But who really knows what they think.

Good point on waivers if they had to send Morin back down again and it seems AV is satisfied with Prosser as 8th for now so I guess there isn't much incentive to do anything, even if the other options have more potential. Pity.

Hopefully the Phantoms can start playing again soon and they can all get some games in.

Reactions: Tripod

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet

Gus and Gost both play the right side just fine (arguably better there) so it is a non-issue with a potential Morin pairing for limited minutes on the 3rd pair. Those guys play extensively on the PP as well and Morin would be heavy on the PK (to good effect I expect) so shifts together would be limited. I think Morin would pair well with either but hard to say for sure if they don't ever try it. Maybe if Morin keeps playing well he will get a chance at some point.

Agreed AV is trying to avoid a Gus/Gost pairing but they have looked good together in limited minutes. I'd probably split them up but good to know they can play shifts together as needed or situation dictates. If down that's a nice option to trot out or mix in with Sanheim and Prov.

I do get it though that AV is afraid of having a defenseman in the box and having to PK with only 3 PK suitable D. It's an issue if you have Gus and Gost in the lineup that is only really alleviated with dressing 7 D. That's where a do everything guy like Niskanen is really missed.

Reactions: BernieParent

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am very confident Miller is not and will not be better than Sanheim. Myers has more in common with Miller’s profile than Sanheim. K’Andre is still waiting for his first ES primary assist and sitting at -7 relxGF%. His athleticism is remarkable though, so that usually attracts instant attention. Always has.

I’ll happily take 1 Adam Fox over any Flyers defenseman though.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I am very confident Miller is not and will not be better than Sanheim. Myers has more in common with Miller’s profile than Sanheim. K’Andre is still waiting for his first ES primary assist and sitting at -7 relxGF%. His athleticism is remarkable though, so that usually attracts instant attention. Always has.

I’ll happily take 1 Adam Fox over any Flyers defenseman though.
4 years is a hell of an age difference. We shall see. But right now they are close. 1 player a 20 year old rookie. The other 3/4 year veteran.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
4 years is a hell of an age difference. We shall see. But right now they are close. 1 player a 20 year old rookie. The other 3/4 year veteran.

They're not close. You're letting recency bias cloud your judgement.

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
So is Morin a D-man again? Was that the plan all along? Move him to forward to get back into game shape or something? The hell is going on?

Reactions: BernieParent

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Hextall didn't seem to have a real plan for Morin and Fletcher is just kicking the can further down the road.
It's more like doing a former draft pick a favour by keeping him around rehabbing from two major knee injuries without much if any expectations. He won't even get in the lineup as defenseman in case of multiple injuries this season with Zamula and Hogberg so close in LV. And next season York or whoever they can find in free agency will block him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad