Player Discussion Max Pacioretty - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Patches is what he is, a great regular season player who will get you 30 goals, and will this year as well. He is not a playoff performer, and being the captain is killing him in my opinion.

Maybe he's hurt, or maybe it's between his ears but he is not playing the way he has in past seasons to be successful. I think it's the latter personally because you don't see him given "therapy" days, but I"m only guessing. We saw a couple of shifts last night of the old Max, and he generated offense for himself and got a few chances. I agree it was his best game this year.

One thing Bergevin has always said, that I really believe as well, is that there are players who get you to the playoffs and there are players who get you through *. Max is a guy who will get us there, but I don't expect more than that. I think both Max & the Canadiens would be better off moving away from each other and giving the C to Weber.

* Off topic, but despite Bergevin stating this he has consistently traded proven playoff performers from this club for "character". Guys like P.K, Eller...I always found this odd because if you look at other teams that have won cups, the guys they move (big pieces) are the guys who didn't show up in the playoffs.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I know the negative nancy's don't want to hear it, but I thought that was a great game from Max. I think he's learning how to play with Shaw and Danault who want to play a dump and retrieve it style of game, while is at his best on the rush. I still think we'd be best served trading for a C to play with Max though.
you need higher standards.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
Patches is what he is, a great regular season player who will get you 30 goals, and will this year as well. He is not a playoff performer, and being the captain is killing him in my opinion.

Maybe he's hurt, or maybe it's between his ears but he is not playing the way he has in past seasons to be successful. I think it's the latter personally because you don't see him given "therapy" days, but I"m only guessing. We saw a couple of shifts last night of the old Max, and he generated offense for himself and got a few chances. I agree it was his best game this year.

One thing Bergevin has always said, that I really believe as well, is that there are players who get you to the playoffs and there are players who get you through *. Max is a guy who will get us there, but I don't expect more than that. I think both Max & the Canadiens would be better off moving away from each other and giving the C to Weber.

* Off topic, but despite Bergevin stating this he has consistently traded proven playoff performers from this club for "character". Guys like P.K, Eller...I always found this odd because if you look at other teams that have won cups, the guys they move (big pieces) are the guys who didn't show up in the playoffs.

You are contradicting yourself, 1st you say that he will score 30 and then you go on to say that he isn’t playing well right now to be successful…so which is it? Are you saying that he’ll score 30 because that’s what he’s done in the past, thereby completely ignoring his current play?

Max has been a shit-show this season, and unlike previous years where he did score 30+, you could tell that it wasn’t for a lack of effort but more of a puck-luck element. You could just tell that he was going to break out with a ton of goals. This year? Not so much, he’s on pace for 22 goals and we are 11 games away from the ½ way point of the season.

Reactions: Pickles and Schwang

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Taking out Giordano, beauty assist on one of our goals, classic MaxPac rush that nearly won the game...

He played great.

Not denying he had a strong game overall, but it doesn't really excuse the whole season. Galchenyuk had 4-points against Detroit, but he's been below-average all year also.

Sure, we can try finding a C for Max, but with all the issues with Galchenyuk, trading Alex won't be Max's solution. Playing with Drouin wasn't Max's solution. While I think Max is better with Danault and Shaw, but if scoring 30+ is the goal, Danault isn't the solution either.

If we throw the farm to find that C for Max, OR we do the improbable and sign Tavares in the offseason, do we then re-sign Max at $7m+ for 5 more years? Who knows, maybe he'll hit 30+ goals again by the end of this season, but say he only gets 20?

IMO, now is the time to move on from Max. He still has value and it's great talking about the 30+ goals he's scored, but he isn't scoring now.

And just to prove I'm not a staunch and blind supporter of the "Golden Boy", I'm fine moving on from Galchenyuk also. Not my first choice, but it's clear his time is likely done with the management and coaches.

Reactions: ArsHabs

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Trading Chucky or Patches come down to value and who you are trading for . Patches has way more value because of his contract but if MB wants to do MB things and trade Chucky for a older more experienced grinding Center then Selling Chucky at his lowest point will work lol

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Pacioretty will slowly fade away until he retires. He has little to no desire and little talent. Don’t expect him to hit 30 again. I don’t know why there’s loyalty to this guy from the organization. Anyone else not wearing the C would surely have been benched with his kind of performance this year. The guy scored over 30 multiple times with frickin DD and he can’t with Drouin or Galchenyuk or Danault?! Come on. He showed some very rare drive last night on a couple shifts, but he’s lazy overall. Get rid of him before Bergevin does something stupid and gives him a ridiculous contract.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Pacioretty will slowly fade away until he retires. He has little to no desire and little talent. Don’t expect him to hit 30 again. I don’t know why there’s loyalty to this guy from the organization. Anyone else not wearing the C would surely have been benched with his kind of performance this year. The guy scored over 30 multiple times with frickin DD and he can’t with Drouin or Galchenyuk or Danault?! Come on. He showed some very rare drive last night on a couple shifts, but he’s lazy overall. Get rid of him before Bergevin does something stupid and gives him a ridiculous contract.
Which we all know he either will or will let him walk as a UFA for nothing.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Pacioretty is a company man through-and-through though. Never says the wrong thing, never questions the coach or the direction of the team, very bland, inoffensive personality. Just what the idiot marketers who truly run this team really want in a player.

A sane team in Montreal's position - trapped in mediocrity, no hope of serious contention any time soon - should unload this guy for all he's worth before his next contract, reap some prime draft picks/prospects, and let some other suckers overpay him for what I expect to be a fairly rapid decline in his 30s.

This stupid organization will likely pay him to the hilt, keep him as "C", all in the name of "stability".

KingKovy

Sep 4, 2007
Just imagine if he gets 7 mil a season. The city will crucify him.
He is getting closer to $9M a year.. that's the crazy part.. his stats will give him that because the cap will be $80M+ next year.. how sad is that? TRADE HIM NOW

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just imagine if he gets 7 mil a season. The city will crucify him.

Before he does ... take advantage of this brand new collage featuring Pacioretty's best moments. :sarcasm:

20rnih.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Interesting observations from Pascal Dupuis yesterday.

Pascal Dupuis, ex-Penguin who faced Pacioretty numerous times and who is now part of the Dave Morissette crew, was asked what was the Pens' strategy against Pacioretty.

Dupuis says that since Pacioretty's a talented player, they tried to limit his time and space. He has a powerful shot, takes long strides when he skates and once he's taken off, he's tough to stop. So they tried to keep him toward the boards and limit his shots. There are players that when you hit them, they become invisible. And Dupuis says that the Pens believed that Pacioretty is this type of player.

Reactions: Price is Wright

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
You are contradicting yourself, 1st you say that he will score 30 and then you go on to say that he isn’t playing well right now to be successful…so which is it? Are you saying that he’ll score 30 because that’s what he’s done in the past, thereby completely ignoring his current play?

Max has been a ****-show this season, and unlike previous years where he did score 30+, you could tell that it wasn’t for a lack of effort but more of a puck-luck element. You could just tell that he was going to break out with a ton of goals. This year? Not so much, he’s on pace for 22 goals and we are 11 games away from the ½ way point of the season.

I dont feel its a contradiction, he's streaky.

He has stretches where he scores in bunches, but much longer ones where he does nothing.

Over the season he passes the eye test if you just look at numbers, but the majority of the time he is not helping the club at all. In the playoffs its worse.

But yes i think he will score 30 and still think he is not a great player who will win us a playoff series.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He's streaky is the thuth but how to explain? Like Dupuis said about how to check him, I would say he will score most of his goals vs teams that aren't strong overall. I guess that 85% of his goals are vs teams like Buffalo, Panthers, Ottawa, Boston, Vancouver, the Devils of before, you know the weak teams that let him take his speed with his long and strong legs. And time for his strong shot. Never he will score vs teams like LA, S-J, Anaheim, TB, B Hawks, St-Louis, Pens, Capitals and Rangers. They are just too strong, fast and physical. He become invisible.

We can say about the same for the rest of the team except Gallagher and Radulov last year.
Habs needs to built a strong team that can compete with stronger teams. There is not only teams like Panthers and Sabres, the are also teams built for PO time, witch Habs hasn't been for a long time ago.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I dont believe in being stricky.

You play 20 minutes a game and all you do most of the time is floating around like diva.

Hes lost a few screws with time.

He should ask to be sent down for reconditioning.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
he is about to enter a new hot scoring stretch. Watch him score about 10 goals in the next 10 or so, en route for another 30-35 goals season.

I like some parts of his last game a bit more, looked more engaged, mentally and physically. That's why I believe he is due for one of his usual scoring streaks.

But for now, exactly like at the same period last season, I just can't stand him.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

There are aslo a ton of players that get you to AND through the play offs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's streaky is the thuth but how to explain? Like Dupuis said about how to check him, I would say he will score most of his goals vs teams that aren't strong overall. I guess that 85% of his goals are vs teams like Buffalo, Panthers, Ottawa, Boston, Vancouver, the Devils of before, you know the weak teams that let him take his speed with his long and strong legs. And time for his strong shot. Never he will score vs teams like LA, S-J, Anaheim, TB, B Hawks, St-Louis, Pens, Capitals and Rangers. They are just too strong, fast and physical. He become invisible.

We can say about the same for the rest of the team except Gallagher and Radulov last year.
Habs needs to built a strong team that can compete with stronger teams. There is not only teams like Panthers and Sabres, the are also teams built for PO time, witch Habs hasn't been for a long time ago.

Yep. The game can be played on the perimeters. It just cant be won on the perimeters.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I dont feel its a contradiction, he's streaky.

He has stretches where he scores in bunches, but much longer ones where he does nothing.

Over the season he passes the eye test if you just look at numbers, but the majority of the time he is not helping the club at all. In the playoffs its worse.

But yes i think he will score 30 and still think he is not a great player who will win us a playoff series.
Yep . Max will score about 30 goals and they will come in about 25 games. Of the other 57 games ?......he will absolutely suck in about 50 of them.
Dont even bother with what comes after that.......his play off game. :baghead:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yep. The game can be played on the perimeters. It just cant be won on the perimeters.
Actually lines #3 and #4 are playing better, getting in front of the net, not staying in perimeters. They are paid less than $1M each guys and get the job done, very good for a #3 and 4 line I have to say.
Now #1 and 2 lines have to take lessons from that. Still a trade have to come, there is no n#1 center yet and $8M to spend in a rich team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad