Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
One can't possibly keep comparing Weber and Subban and not acknowledge a 4-year difference (3 years 9 months averaged out) between them. Age regression and careers ending sooner on account of age, are real things. For Weber to eradicate Subban, he'd need to outproduce him badly, to make up for that 4 year difference that the GM foolishly did not obtain an offset for. Also, I'd argue that Subban is not 100%, so him not producing at Weber's level over the rest of the season would not be a surprise.

Also, about Sergachev, he's still young, only his 2nd season and plays a premium position. How many seasons does Drouin have under his belt? Let's see where Sergachev is at when he's been in the league 5 years.

Tatar: 53 gp, 16G, 23A for 39 points vs Pacioretty: 41 games, 16G, 13A for 29 points. Pax is at a .71 PPG pace vs. .53 PPG for Tatar. I don't think is a win for Bergevin stats wise so far, however, on an overall basis, it's definitely a Bergevin win if you include Suzuki and the pick, which then makes it a Bergevin win not just this year but beyond.

Let's look at Galchenyuk: 41 gp, 8g, 17a for 25 points. .41PPG vs. Domi: 53 gp, 17g, 30a for 47 points. .53PPG. Domi wins it but not just on points -- plays top 6C, 200 foot game.

Now, I totally understand that your comment has to do with how Bergevin has the "upper hand this year". If that's the case, then your clear winners this year are Drouin and Domi IMHO.
Tatar points per game
39/53=0,73

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And Domi's at 0.89 and not 0.53 PPG

I've been doing the calculations manually. I think I know where I went wrong. I clicked on the percentage key whereas I should have just moved the decimal points. Thanks for that.

I'm going to review all my calculations as a result. Conclusions remain the same as I had made the same error for all values.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Domi has become the new heart and soul of this team.The old heart and soul Gally has really slowed down.Think the injuries and wear and tear are really starting to show.He may be the next trading chip as much as i would hate to see him leave .
Trading Gally would be a huge, huge mistake.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
... Actually, he could also play wing on the first line for all I care.
But Domi isn't good enough to be a #1C on a cup winner.
At the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you. But last night i noticed some things that changed my mind. This will be his first full season in the NHL at the center position and he plays a 200' game while being tied at 46th OA in points but sitting at 25th for all centers. This is a #1 center. The reason at first I believed he wasn't a #1 was because I thought he was inconsistent but looking at those numbers he has been consistent enough to be among the top centers in the league. And it's his first year. He can only improve.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

He would be our best trading chip and could pull a king’s ransom. I’m not as high on him as some here. His value is at it’s peak and holding on to him for too long might prove to be a big mistake.

I wouldn’t think twice if the right offer came along and don’t consider him a core piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He would be our best trading chip and could pull a king’s ransom. I’m not as high on him as some here. His value is at it’s peak and holding on to him for too long might prove to be a bigger mistake.
I love the guy and I agree with what you say. However, with our prospect pool developing and maybe passing him on the depth chart, there's the chance as he approaches UFA he settles in as a really quality third liner. I'd be fine with letting him test the market or extending him for a few years. I really don't think he will get a huge raise as I think he will continue to break down.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
One can't possibly keep comparing Weber and Subban and not acknowledge a 4-year difference (3 years 9 months averaged out) between them. Age regression and careers ending sooner on account of age, are real things. For Weber to eradicate Subban, he'd need to outproduce him badly, to make up for that 4 year difference that the GM foolishly did not obtain an offset for. Also, I'd argue that Subban is not 100%, so him not producing at Weber's level over the rest of the season would not be a surprise.

Also, about Sergachev, he's still young, only his 2nd season and plays a premium position. How many seasons does Drouin have under his belt? Let's see where Sergachev is at when he's been in the league 5 years.

Tatar: 53 gp, 16G, 23A for 39 points vs Pacioretty: 41 games, 16G, 13A for 29 points. Pax is at a .71 PPG pace vs. .74 PPG for Tatar. It's not a win for Bergevin stats wise so far, however, on an overall basis, it's definitely a Bergevin win if you include Suzuki and the pick, which then makes it a Bergevin win not just this year but beyond.

Let's look at Galchenyuk: 41 gp, 8g, 17a for 25 points. .61PPG vs. Domi: 53 gp, 17g, 30a for 47 points. .89PPG. Domi wins it but not just on points -- plays top 6C, 200 foot game. Just to be more accurate, Domi is not outproducing Galchenyuk by "double", based on PPG.

Now, I totally understand that your comment has to do with how Bergevin has the "upper hand this year". If that's the case, then your clear winners this year are Drouin and Domi IMHO.
That’s it, I’m not projecting in 4yrs from now, I’m talking about the 2018-19 season.

Bergevins aquisitions have the upper hand this year.

This is not a Subban vs Weber debate, it’s a Bergevin acquisitions vs the exiles debate

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you. But last night i noticed some things that changed my mind. This will be his first full season in the NHL at the center position and he plays a 200' game while being tied at 46th OA in points but sitting at 25th for all centers. This is a #1 center. The reason at first I believed he wasn't a #1 was because I thought he was inconsistent but looking at those numbers he has been consistent enough to be among the top centers in the league. And it's his first year. He can only improve.

Actually no, he could come back down to his mean. It's happened before where some players get career highs, then come down, especially if the NHL drops down in production as well.
But, no reason to believe that as of today. We will find out soon enough.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That’s it, I’m not projecting in 4yrs from now, I’m talking about the 2018-19 season.

Bergevins aquisitions have the upper hand this year.

This is not a Subban vs Weber debate, it’s a Bergevin acquisitions vs the exiles debate

I've acknowledged that your post was for this year only while adding context for the longer term.

I would argue that in respect of Pacioretty this year, he has better production than Tatar given his higher PPG rate.

And that while Domi's PPG rate is better, Domi's production is not double that of Galchenyuk as asserted in the post I was replying to.

Other than that, I don't disagree with your other points in respect of the season to date.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Actually no, he could come back down to his mean. It's happened before where some players get career highs, then come down, especially if the NHL drops down in production as well.
But, no reason to believe that as of today. We will find out soon enough.
It's 52 games into the season when is this so-called mean going to rear its ugly head? Next year? Two years from now? The last year of his career? If you watch him play you can make a stronger argument that he is snake bitten with stone-handed linemates than the argument that he is playing above his mean. If you look at Seguin's career when do you go to establish a mean. His first year in the league? Second? Or after a few years in dallas? So you're talking about a mean that has not been established yet because he hasn't been in the league long enough to have an established mean.

Also, your last argument about a drop in NHL production is really pointless and self defeating. If there's a drop in production in the league that means it's for everyone so Domi's position relative to other centers in the league would be the same. Example: A Reinhart who plays in a high scoring NHL has 70 points and is 35th OA . The same Reinhart plays in a defensive NHL and he has 50 points and is also 35th OA. You're telling me the first Reinhart is more valuable than the second?

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I was wrong about the trade at the time too. Felt foolish for the things I said pro Chucky and anti Max.

But how much more foolish would I look if I didn’t admit it was an error in judgment and held onto that narrative to this day?

It was clear within a week that just on compete level alone we won that trade by a significant margin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Not sure I agree cause we have to know who is coming back the other way before we say it's a mistake. I'm open to trading Gallagher depending on the return. Gallagher is 2.5 years away from UFA and is going to demand a huge raise. Do you think he can maintain his level of play from 30-35? I'm not too sure about it.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do not be fooled. This team IS Brendan Gallagher. Just wait for the playoffs.

At one point in time Lucic was the Bruins. They moved on from him at the perfect time. Too bad they didn't use the picks to take Barzal though.

I like Gallagher a lot but the game is getting faster and I'm just not sure how he can maintain his level of play in his 30's. Not worried about Gallagher in the 2.5 years of term he has left. More worried about what we have to pay him in the next contract and how he measures up to it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's about much more then points with Domi in comparison to Galchenyuk.

Even when Domi went through his dry spell, I still felt he was useful to the team and I had confidence his dry spell would end.

Whereas, with Galchenyuk, his entire value is tied into his ability to collect goals and assists.

That being said, Galchenyuk's at his typical point pace (around .60PPG) which is in line with his career average.

What you see is what you get with Galchenyuk...

I just think there's way more substance to Domi's game.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I've been doing the calculations manually. I think I know where I went wrong. I clicked on the percentage key whereas I should have just moved the decimal points. Thanks for that.

I'm going to review all my calculations as a result. Conclusions remain the same as I had made the same error for all values.
WTF Runner, what’s a madda fa you.....have yourself another coffee sir!!

:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: