Confirmed with Link: Max Domi sent back to the OHL.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I'm not that surprised. I thought they might give him the 9 games, but I didn't think he'd stick. GMDM said that the plan was to overcook prospects. I was surprised that most people on this board just thought that Domi making the team was a given. Lessio and Rieder have had good seasons in the AHL and I think that's a step the organization wants to see each prospect take.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Personally, I'm not that surprised. I thought they might give him the 9 games, but I didn't think he'd stick. GMDM said that the plan was to overcook prospects. I was surprised that most people on this board just thought that Domi making the team was a given. Lessio and Rieder have had good seasons in the AHL and I think that's a step the organization wants to see each prospect take.

It wasn't just us, though. Craig Morgan is pretty in tune w/ the org as well and he more or less stated multiple times that barring a huge regression, Domi was a lock to make the team.

I get the theory of overcooking, but there are some significant differences between Detroit's dynasty years and us, primarily that they could afford to keep their young talent in the minors because they had money to spend to acquire and retain star players.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
If I were Max Domi, I'd ask my agent to demand a trade privately. With a 7 day deadline given to Maloney before our demands go public, and a 14 day deadline before we publicly state we have no intention of ever playing a game for the Coyotes at any point in the future. Then I take the first one year contract with an NHL out clause I can be in the KHL, and I board a plane bound for Moscow with Tie Domi in tow.

That would be the best way to ruin the career though ;)
Domi is under contract, the KHL has an agreement with the NHL, he can't sign with any team in Europe. The next few years of the career would be in jeopardy.

Somehow I doubt that many teams would be thrilled with a player throwing a hissy-fit over not making the team as a 19 year old. Not that it would stop some team from being interested, but it's not exactly great for your reputation.

It does seem a bit odd that Domi doesn't get at least the first nine games.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Whether real or perceived, this kind of thing is going to make it harder to keep young talent. Every offensive player drafted by the Coyotes is going to think, "I'm never going to get a chance to play". All this "not a development league" talk is so short-sighted. I don't understand at all.

Unless Lessio and/or Reider make the team. I think DM & DT put allot of stock in AHL success and would be sending Domi there if they could, but they can't. Lessio and Reider proved they can produce at the AHL level and maybe they want Domi to prove he can too . . . .though he is a superior talent to both Lessio and Reider.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
When it comes out that he's demanded a trade, I'm totally going to bat for him. I'm going to be pretty pissed off when people start calling him entitled.

Maloney and Tippett worked together to bring in Ribeiro. Maloney and Tippett worked together to make sure last year's horrificly disappointing joke of a team remained almost completely intact. Now they're working together to further alienate yet even more elite young talent.

I honestly don't care if both get fired. In fact, I think both should be fired if this team isn't on pace for 100pts at the 50 game mark of the season. With the cavalier stubbornness they flaunt, they need to be held accountable. They are this confident in this group? Then I'm not satisfied with merely being in the hunt at the halfway point. They need to be pacing toward being comfortably in.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
MAKE NO MISTAKE, WE'RE GONNA SHAKE THIS TEAM UP...

...BY MAKING ALMOST NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER.

Seriously, I can't believe I fell for the talking points over the offseason. I feel defrauded.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
When it comes out that he's demanded a trade, I'm totally going to bat for him. I'm going to be pretty pissed off when people start calling him entitled.

Maloney and Tippett worked together to bring in Ribeiro. Maloney and Tippett worked together to make sure last year's horrificly disappointing joke of a team remained almost completely intact. Now they're working together to further alienate yet even more elite young talent.

I honestly don't care if both get fired. In fact, I think both should be fired if this team isn't on pace for 100pts at the 50 game mark of the season. With the cavalier stubbornness they flaunt, they need to be held accountable. They are this confident in this group? Then I'm not satisfied with merely being in the hunt at the halfway point. They need to be pacing toward being comfortably in.

I was calling for Tippets head all of last season. He lost this team a long time ago. He's now officially insane.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
It is so brutal, I want to keep loving this team and organization but DT and GMDM are making it very difficult. It's like a girlfriend making promises and believing her and she just cheats every chance she gets.

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
It is so brutal, I want to keep loving this team and organization but DT and GMDM are making it very difficult. It's like a girlfriend making promises and believing her and she just cheats every chance she gets.

I can't agree with this more...

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
let's pump the breaks for a second here -- Is there any chance he gets called up in the early-mid part of the season? or does this mean he's definitely not going to wear a yotes sweater this year?

I definitely agree with you guys tho, we desperately need this breath of fresh air in terms of offensive production on our roster

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't see how Leblanc and Gossbee don't step in at this point. Management and coaching is killing their fanbase (whatever is left).

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

I'm on record somewhere saying I didn't think he'd get more than nine games. I was still hoping I was wrong. Chicago can overcook prospects like TT because they have Toews and Richards in the top six already at center and plenty of offense on the wings. We don't have this "problem".

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
For the first time I am starting to lose confidence in GMDM and Tip. I have always thought maybe they had a bigger plan then I could see but it is starting to look like they have no plan at all. Someone joked that maybe they would trade one of our top prospects for some 35 year old veteran which I laughed at but now they almost seem like they really are that unwilling to use fresh talent.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
let's pump the breaks for a second here -- Is there any chance he gets called up in the early-mid part of the season? or does this mean he's definitely not going to wear a yotes sweater this year?

I definitely agree with you guys tho, we desperately need this breath of fresh air in terms of offensive production on our roster

Definitely not this year. Actually, I think after his season is over he can be called up, but I think we burn a contract year if he plays.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Once a player goes back to Juniors he can't be recalled by the big club.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
For the first time I am starting to lose confidence in GMDM and Tip. I have always thought maybe they had a bigger plan then I could see but it is starting to look like they have no plan at all. Someone joked that maybe they would trade one of our top prospects for some 35 year old veteran which I laughed at but now they almost seem like they really are that unwilling to use fresh talent.

Doesn't trust young players because he doesn't know them. Won't ice players he doesn't know and trust. Young players can't gain trust while not on the ice. Catch 22.

I'll feel much better about the whole thing when some other fan base talks about how defensively responsible Domi is for his age, and how amazing his two-way play is like with the Turris debacle.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
On a development standpoint, is it good for him to spend a 4th year in London? I am not familiar with their programme so this is a genuine question.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
If (when) we do suck this year and manage to get a top draft pick, DT and GMDM will jerk him around just like we are doing with our current rookies. I think now the only solution is dumping DT and GMDM.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
If (when) we do suck this year and manage to get a top draft pick, DT and GMDM will jerk him around just like we are doing with our current rookies. I think now the only solution is dumping DT and GMDM.

Leblanc and Gosbee need to get involved here. THis is unacceptable.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

By how things are going now, I would think McDavid would pull a Lindros and hold out if he did end up getting drafted here. And with the new rules and what not, we certainly wouldn't be getting the same return Lindros did.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Remember last year when IceArizona took over and put out that radio commercial about how Tippett was a "coach they'd follow to hell and back"?

I'm starting to see a whole new side of that. Tippett, it appears, approaches coaching as if he was still a player. MY GUYS... casting suspicion on new faces in the room... seeing intangibles based on relationships that actually may not exist based on hard data...

But then I look at the rest of the possible coaches out there and they ALL seem to be from this same, head-scratching, "HOCKEY GUY" gene pool. So I'm pretty sure we'd be up a creek if the team DID fire Tip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad