Confirmed with Link: Max Domi sent back to the OHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Except these prospects literally beat the vets in a game. :laugh:

That's what I heard, but one preseason game does not give any player the right to win a job. For all we know, DM may have thought a rookie won a job, but he has to trade a vet first. It's not all cut and dried like a lot of you think. Like I mentioned before, lets give DM the benefit of the doubt, we will see what happens soon enough.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Well apparently GMDM wanted to send Domi to Portland but the agreement between the OHL and NHL prevented it.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/does-bettman-s-arrival-in-valley-portend-big-announcement-100714

Some credence to the assertion that Domi doesn't have all that much left to learn in London

"At the general manager level, there was discussion about changing that rule, but there probably wasn't enough attention paid to it because this discussion came leading into the new (collective bargaining agreement)," Maloney said. "In hindsight, we probably should have paid more attention to it, because I think everybody has players like Max that, at a certain point, their development could plateau at the junior level. They need to be challenged.

"The American League is a developmental league, so for good, bad or indifferent, let him play against men for 30 or 40 games where he can learn, because this (the NHL) isn't a developmental league. They have more time; they have more practice time. There are so many reasons to do it."

Maloney understands why the CHL-NHL agreement exists, aside from the fact that CHL teams get to keep premier players around longer.

"It makes sense in a lot of ways because you're growing the product, and I still think we force young people into this league before they are physically and emotionally ready," Maloney said. "But I do think there are exceptions."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Some credence to the assertion that Domi doesn't have all that much left to learn in London

Sometimes it's shocking to me that Maloney is a former player and not a former player agent (see; Lawyer). His use of the word "could" just before the word plateau totally saves his bacon, here.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Maloney understands why the CHL-NHL agreement exists

From the NHL or player perspective I don't understand it at all. The only entity this really seems to benefit is the CHL.

If we say that the CHL is single A ball, ECHL is AA, and AHL AAA, why would you have a rule that says an adult (18-19 yo) can either play single A or NHL hockey, AA and AAA is off limits. Makes no sense.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From the NHL or player perspective I don't understand it at all. The only entity this really seems to benefit is the CHL.

If we say that the CHL is single A ball, ECHL is AA, and AHL AAA, why would you have a rule that says an adult (18-19 yo) can either play single A or NHL hockey, AA and AAA is off limits. Makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense if you take nationalism into account.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It makes some sense to me. The CHL is a developmental major junior league, yes, but they're still a for-profit entity. If you got rid of the ECHL/AHL age rule, the on-ice product of major junior hockey would most likely suffer.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It makes some sense to me. The CHL is a developmental major junior league, yes, but they're still a for-profit entity. If you got rid of the ECHL/AHL age rule, the on-ice product of major junior hockey would most likely suffer.

Like I said, it only benefits the CHL.

The league is for profit...what do the players make?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

The league is for profit...what do the players make?

Players are either amateur or semi-pro depending on who you ask. They get free lodging and food plus a small stipend. This disqualifies them from playing NCAA hockey after their major junior careers.

They may not be professionals but that doesn't mean I don't think the CHL is trying to make money. NCAA athletes aren't professional either but I'll be damned if programs like at least the football programs aren't there to make a buck. Most athletic departments from my understanding have the football team making a lot of the money and then giving their profit to the programs that lose money.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Not just the CHL, but Hockey Canada. Remember the World Juniors and what an enormous cash cow that is - especially if Hockey Canada has its way and the tournament relocates to the Great White North permanently. Considering how many of the top picks in every draft still come from the Canadian Junior ranks, getting rid of the rule would deprive Hockey Canada of a significant talent pool.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not just the CHL, but Hockey Canada. Remember the World Juniors and what an enormous cash cow that is - especially if Hockey Canada has its way and the tournament relocates to the Great White North permanently. Considering how many of the top picks in every draft still come from the Canadian Junior ranks, getting rid of the rule would deprive Hockey Canada of a significant talent pool.

Simply change the world juniors date til after the ahl/echl season...same thing they do with the iihf worlds for the big boys.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Simply change the world juniors date til after the ahl/echl season...same thing they do with the iihf worlds for the big boys.

But you see, the rest of the world needs to accommodate THEM, not the other way around. :sarcasm:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Out of curiosity I looked back through a few prior years of the draft to see which players drafted #12 to #30 had an NHL impact by their 19 year old season.

2012: Olli Maatta (#22) with a solid 19 year old season. Grigensons and Wilson spent the full season in the NHL but not major contributors.

2011: No players from #12-#30 have had a full season in the NHL so far.

2010: Cam Fowler (#12) hit the ground running from day 1. No other players were in the NHL at 19.

2009: Marcus Johansson (#24) with a decent 19 year old season and very good 20 year old (note: he missed the draft cutoff by 3 weeks, so older then most in his draft year). Nick Leddy (#16) spent half the season in the NHL and half in the AHL. Dmitri Kulikov (#14) started in the NHL and didn't look back (also older then average).

2008: Tyler Myers (#12) with an outstanding 19 year old season. Erik Karlsson (#15) with a solid 19 year old season. Michael Del Zotto (#20) with a very good 19 year old season (since disappeared)

Summary, only 9-10 players out of 95 drafted in the 5 years prior to Domi even playing in the NHL at 19 and half of those impactful at 19. There were many good players drafted in that range that didn't make the NHL until age 20+.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder how many of those guys had years as dominant as domi in their last year of juniors. Not a snarky reply btw, legitimate question haha.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Out of curiosity I looked back through a few prior years of the draft to see which players drafted #12 to #30 had an NHL impact by their 19 year old season.

2012: Olli Maatta (#22) with a solid 19 year old season. Grigensons and Wilson spent the full season in the NHL but not major contributors.

2011: No players from #12-#30 have had a full season in the NHL so far.

2010: Cam Fowler (#12) hit the ground running from day 1. No other players were in the NHL at 19.

2009: Marcus Johansson (#24) with a decent 19 year old season and very good 20 year old (note: he missed the draft cutoff by 3 weeks, so older then most in his draft year). Nick Leddy (#16) spent half the season in the NHL and half in the AHL. Dmitri Kulikov (#14) started in the NHL and didn't look back (also older then average).

2008: Tyler Myers (#12) with an outstanding 19 year old season. Erik Karlsson (#15) with a solid 19 year old season. Michael Del Zotto (#20) with a very good 19 year old season (since disappeared)

Summary, only 9-10 players out of 95 drafted in the 5 years prior to Domi even playing in the NHL at 19 and half of those impactful at 19. There were many good players drafted in that range that didn't make the NHL until age 20+.

Hey, hey, hey...don't try and sway our feelings with analysis and rational thought. :sarcasm:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I wonder how many of those guys had years as dominant as domi in their last year of juniors. Not a snarky reply btw, legitimate question haha.

or how many of those guys were drafted by teams loaded with offensive talent like the Yotes?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
or how many of those guys were drafted by teams loaded with offensive talent like the Yotes?

Hey as great as he is moss is only one player. Watch he's gonna score 20 goals and we're all going to flabbergasted.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hey as great as he is moss is only one player. Watch he's gonna score 20 goals and we're all going to flabbergasted.

Yeah, and Erat is going to regain his 20 goal ability...the things in the world that won't happen. Moss won't score 20 and Erat won't score 10 goals.

Erat has 3 goals in his last 77 NHL games, he's caught Cheecho disease...he's done as a goal scorer. As a 3rd line energy player who can pot 4 goals and 16 assists for 20pts, then "YES", he can do that.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, and Erat is going to regain his 20 goal ability...the things in the world that won't happen. Moss won't score 20 and Erat won't score 10 goals.

Erat has 3 goals in his last 77 NHL games, he's caught Cheecho disease...he's done as a goal scorer. As a 3rd line energy player who can pot 4 goals and 16 assists for 20pts, then "YES", he can do that.

Erat for rocket Richard!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad