Player Discussion Max Domi - Overdue Hot Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin doesn’t have a lot of players to re-sign this offseason. However, he still has to sign restricted free agent Max Domi, one of the best players for the Habs. Domi said that, although there haven’t been talks yet on a new contract with the Montreal Canadiens, he wants to stay with the team. The question remains: What kind of contract will Max Domi sign with the Montreal Canadiens? We’ll take a look at a comparable around the league, the deal itself, and the effect the pandemic might have on his next contract.

Trying to Predict the Next Contract of Montreal Canadiens Max Domi

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Max Domi is very good at putting the puck in the back of the net at even strength.”

upload_2020-6-13_14-38-17.png

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
8M ? :laugh:

Trade his ass, if he's asking for that. No Habs forward worth more than 6.5M.
I'd give Tatar 7 million per year on a 4 year contract. Hes been excellent for us, isnt that old, and will help young players produce. I'm sure the price between now and 3-4 years later isnt that different.

As for Domi, I'm hoping we give him the Drouin contract. I think hes better than what hes played like this season, but not as good as last season.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'd give Tatar 7 million per year on a 4 year contract. Hes been excellent for us, isnt that old, and will help young players produce. I'm sure the price between now and 3-4 years later isnt that different.

As for Domi, I'm hoping we give him the Drouin contract. I think hes better than what hes played like this season, but not as good as last season.

I'd also agree to Tatar on a 7M contract as long as it is no more than for 4 years, like the term Pacioretty got in Vegas.

Doubt Domi gets less than 6M for 6 years, and that's because of the COVID. He can likely be signed 6 years at 6.5M, if you forget about the virus factor, to make the discussion easier. He's had a breakout season -- unlike Drouin -- and is more versatile as a C/LW. Drouin has more skill, IMO, but it's still projected production for him.

I'd sign Domi at 6.5M X 6 years so, I expect he gets 6M X 6 years to factor in the lost revenue for everyone. I think that, at that price tag, he still is traceable down the line -- if deemed necessary because there are too many smallish players on the roster -- as he will be playing during his peak years as a hockey player.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming he has a decent playoffs, hes going to get around 6.5 M × 6 years

I dont believe he will get more than that for the following reasons:
The cap staying flat, his reg season production going down, and because he is played as a winger instead of center now.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Assuming he has a decent playoffs, hes going to get around 6.5 M × 6 years

I dont believe he will get more than that for the following reasons:
The cap staying flat, his reg season production going down, and because he is played as a winger instead of center now.

I'd be happy with that, provided there is no NMC.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
That line would be an absolute disaster defensively. Claude would HATE it. Domi and Hoffman are complete liabilities and Laf is a rookie.

They wouldn’t be asked to play very much defence. High % of Ozone starts and pair with top 4 defencemen. As long as they back check and compete they’ll be fine and produce enough offence in my opinion to counter whatever defensive liability they create.

I think we put a little too much emphasis on our forwards needing to play defence.

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
The important question to address regarding Domi is more about where he fits in the team.
  • We cannot keep both Danault/Domi and expect KK and Suzuki to perform at their natural position.
  • If we expect him to play left wing then which line ? Would you pay a third pairing left wing $5M+ ? (Tatar is $4.8M and Drouin $5.5M)

Reactions: Merrrlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad