Player Discussion Max Domi - Overdue Hot Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I like him, but I'd prefer we go with Suzuki, KK and Dannault as our 3. We badly need help on D and I'd be okay moving on from this guy.

It's very clear he's much better as a center otherwise I'd love to keep him as a winger/reserve center. Great season last year but he's inconsistent.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I like him, but I'd prefer we go with Suzuki, KK and Dannault as our 3. We badly need help on D and I'd be okay moving on from this guy.

It's very clear he's much better as a center otherwise I'd love to keep him as a winger/reserve center. Great season last year but he's inconsistent.
I agree with this. Left D or a winger with size/skill is very much needed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
True but there's a difference between can and will. We can get a Suzuki like prospect, but it doesn't mean we will. Same with a 1st round pick we could get in a trade - we could get a Suzuki like prospect or we could get a Louis Leblanc.\

But we should definitely move Tatar if Timmins/MB have a read on a prospect like they had on Suzuki - unless they just got lucky with Suzuki.

You are 100% right. But there's also a difference between can, will and will not. You can be sure we will not win with the current core. I prefer can to will not personally.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
We'd probably get a talented but inconsistent guy on D - basically Domi's equivalent - or we'd get a prospect/pick.

I joked about Brodin, but if you added a decent piece, that's the best you could probably do.

(Though he's a year from UFA)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I joked about Brodin, but if you added a decent piece, that's the best you could probably do.

(Though he's a year from UFA)
Was going to say his equivalent on D would be somebody like Gostisbehere. Talented but inconsistent. Gost got hurt this year though so his value would be less than Domi. Assuming the health wasn't that bad, I might pony up Domi for Gost and a 2nd. If not Gost, somebody like him anyway...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You are 100% right. But there's also a difference between can, will and will not. You can be sure we will not win with the current core. I prefer can to will not personally.

Yeah, I'm in favor of trading Petry and Tatar. But that means giving up on next season. Again, I'm in favor of that. But I just know it's not what MB will do. So he would only trade Petry or Tatar if there was a mouth watering prospect like Suzuki coming the other way, not a if it's late 1sts and 2nds.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, I'm in favor of trading Petry and Tatar. But that means giving up on next season. Again, I'm in favor of that. But I just know it's not what MB will do. So he would only trade Petry or Tatar if there was a mouth watering prospect like Suzuki coming the other way, not a if it's late 1sts and 2nds.
I don't like the GM nor support him staying on, but I am certainly pleased he won't trade these two assets for less than market value.

Reactions: angusyoung

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't like the GM nor support him staying on, but I am certainly pleased he won't trade these two assets for less than market value.

You can't trade Petry or Tatar with MB here. If you do so, he'll get the rebuilding excuse and keep his job.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Personally would keep him based on age and the fact he was at least able to show he can produce 70+ points at least one year. Seems like he puts up a lot of points in garbage time. Trading him is also selling low depending on his contract.

I'd explore something like Tatar to CBJ for Murray +. Both 1 year from UFA and fill needs. Healthy Murray is worth more than Tatar but that rarely happens.

Maybe can convince them to include Josh Anderson including Armia/Lehkonen but doubtful. Coleman's return shows how much this type is worth.

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
I am he may not want to be back in Montreal with CJ as a coach.
He led the team in points last year, but not put on the first powerplay. Inconsistent line mates and every time he has a line mate who he clicks with moved off his line.

I am wondering what he could do with talented line mates, consistent line mates, and a coach who works with him well.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am he may not want to be back in Montreal with CJ as a coach.
He led the team in points last year, but not put on the first powerplay. Inconsistent line mates and every time he has a line mate who he clicks with moved off his line.

I am wondering what he could do with talented line mates, consistent line mates, and a coach who works with him well.
Id say f*** you to this shit management and just flat out refuse to sign here. Take it to Buffalo or Boston where they need a 2C and stick it to the Montreal Danaults every game. Watch Domi go to a contender and finish with a league leading PPG in the POs or something, while the Habs count their pennies to sign a 3rd f***ing liner.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Shocking to me that at no point, even when the season was slipping away...

That the coach never thought to himself...

Hmmm...

Max Domi had 72pts last year.

My best wingers are Tatar and Gallagher...maybe if I give him both or at the very least, 1 of those wingers

It could get Domi going again.

Imagine not even attempting that...once.

Coaching must be hella easy in the NHL

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Hmmm...

My best wingers are Tatar and Gallagher...maybe if I give him both or at the very least, 1 of those wingers

It is even more ridiculous when you look at last year and a guy in Andrew Shaw who never cracked 40 points in his career was on pace for 61 points over 82 games playing with Domi, you'd think it'd make sense to put a similar but better winger in Gallagher with them to see what might happen.

Instead, Julien's solutions this year were either to move Domi to the wing or to put guys like Cousins/Weal with him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It is even more ridiculous when you look at last year and a guy in Andrew Shaw who never cracked 40 points in his career was on pace for 61 points over 82 games playing with Domi, you'd think it'd make sense to put a similar but better winger in Gallagher with them to see what might happen.

Instead, Julien's solutions this year were either to move Domi to the wing or to put guys like Cousins/Weal with him.
I'm telling you...Julien is a good coach but man was he lazy this year.

When the entire team was struggling except for the Danault line...he never thought to himself that perhaps breaking them up and spreading the wealth could be an option.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

Hmmm...

You can't do that, are you crazy ? You can't break the best NHL line... Worked so well for us the last 2 years, can't break it or we will miss the playoffs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

He's probably going to want to cash in regardless. Bergevin seemed quick to say Domi's contract won't be an issue... maybe he means he's shipping him out of here and it'll be somebody else's issue.

I'm telling you...Julien is a good coach but man was he lazy this year.

When the entire team was struggling except for the Danault line...he never thought to himself that perhaps breaking them up and spreading the wealth could be an option.

Breaking up that line would mean we'd lose games. Can't do that...

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Imagine using Normand Flynn as a source

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad