Player Discussion Max Domi - Overdue Hot Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Is he injured maybe? That fall off the cliff is a little too sharp, playing at center or wing doesn't seem to jump start anything.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is he injured maybe? That fall off the cliff is a little too sharp, playing at center or wing doesn't seem to jump start anything.

Not enough proven talent up front for us to get the best results from Domi IMO. Domi misses Shaw and some think this is comical. But what Shaw does is the little things that most fans don't noticed. He causes havoc and is not afraid to go to the net.

If you ever play hockey and you got skill, you will know how annoying it is to play with less skilled players on your line. This is what's happening to Domi this year IMO. He has not had any consistent winger all season yet

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
Domi is not injured he's just playing like himself a 40-50pt player with the anomaly of last year

Reactions: Fixxer

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I've been critical of Domi, but he's been playing better-ish as of late. Not coughing pucks up as much and actually making some things happen offensively.

If not for Colorado's backup the other night, that potential assist on Lehkonen's goal would have done wonders for his confidence I think. He just has to start simplifying his game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Are we really going to get on Domi's case and make him a villain?

Let the dust settle after 82 games before we jump to conclusions about him. It would be silly to make any sort of decision on him at this point.
Totally agree. Domi started off this season very well and has cooled off recently, but there are 50 freakin' games left. His numbers are still decent and there's plenty of time to pump them back up.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Only thing is his production this season seems to be matching his production in Arizona.

Reactions: Fixxer

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Time for #13 to get lucky...
Sure... that would be in line with his GM's "plan". Because he (the GM) is clearly banking on getting lucky. Domi is likely to show what he really is. Last year was a fluke. But it made MB win that trade so it's all good.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Only thing is his production this season seems to be matching his production in Arizona.
His normal production... we'll have to get used to it. A 40-50 point guy with balls. Not a star, not an enforcer. a mix of the 2.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't know how a player can get lucky/flukey for an entire 82 game season.

Even if his shooting percentage was abnormally high, he still should have finished with 55-60 points.

Refresh my memory, who did he spend the bulk of his season with, Shaw and??

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Benoit Brunet broke down a few of Domi's flaws in the defensive end.
In a way, I don't blame Domi. Brunet said he would not keep coverage on his man and be placed at the wrong spot as the other team's players cycled.
The thing is, he played only wing in Arizona. Last year at center and this year C/W, of course a guy may get confused on the ice on the defensive end. lol

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
His normal production... we'll have to get used to it. A 40-50 point guy with balls. Not a star, not an enforcer. a mix of the 2.
40 points is really underselling him. I think he's a great second line winger on any team who will put up anywhere from 50-65 points per year.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Benoit Brunet broke down a few of Domi's flaws in the defensive end.
In a way, I don't blame Domi. Brunet said he would not keep coverage on his man and be placed at the wrong spot as the other team's players cycled.
The thing is, he played only wing in Arizona. Last year at center and this year C/W, of course a guy may get confused on the ice on the defensive end. lol

It baffles me when players "get confused" about their position. There is a handful of fundamentals that applies to each position. They are - work hard, don't take a shift off, backcheck, forecheck, don't take stupid penalties, don't get caught out of position. Domi isn't doing many of these things and consequently will suck at any position he is playing.

Reactions: HKbleu

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
40 points is really underselling him. I think he's a great second line winger on any team who will put up anywhere from 50-65 points per year.
The way he is playing frustrated now, it seems as if he's been stripped of a lot of his talent. I remember him coming in the zone with the puck, distributing it with confidence. Releasing sneaky shots which a lot went in early on. (last season)
He plays like a rugged 3rd liner as of late, which is sad. and I agree, I should have started at 45-60 in terms of production. Depends if he is on or if he's unfocused.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
It baffles me when players "get confused" about their position. There is a handful of fundamentals that applies to each position. They are - work hard, don't take a shift off, backcheck, forecheck, don't take stupid penalties, don't get caught out of position. Domi isn't doing many of these things and consequently will suck at any position he is playing.
It's like he plays frustrated. He doesn't put his anger to good use. It limits his creativity and he is prone to taking retribution penalties.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Domi is not injured he's just playing like himself a 40-50pt player with the anomaly of last year
See that doesn't make much sense. His 70 pts had nothing to do with luck last year. Why wouldn't he be capable of repeating that. Its not like he's declining.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Totally agree. Domi started off this season very well and has cooled off recently, but there are 50 freakin' games left. His numbers are still decent and there's plenty of time to pump them back up.
Yup. A short little point streak and he's easily back on pace for 60 points.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
See that doesn't make much sense. His 70 pts had nothing to do with luck last year. Why wouldn't he be capable of repeating that. Its not like he's declining.
Had Shaw and early on, Drouin which fit good. We could tell he had a blast. He played Center all season. He had MANY goals in the early games, like his first 8 or so. Was a surprise for everyone. I don't see him getting more than, 57 points. Too many things are off, linemates, position he plays, his mood... hope he figures it out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Habs fans like to think they are better than the Leafs but some are just as trendy with zoomed in evaluation sample sizes. The whole Hero or Zero mentality is annoying to be honest.

Domi is fine. He just does not have that much talent to play with. Even before Drouin and Byron where hurt, the wingers he played with were either very young or not skilled.

Remember when Subban tried to do things on his own cause of lack of talent? Same situation

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's circumstantial and all players go through ups and downs. I said this about Drouin last year. The key is not to dig into it deeper and look for problems, the key is how we surround players like Drouin and Domi moving forward. Suzuki and Kotkaneimi are good starts with Caufield coming as well but they are young and we should expect growing pains

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Had Shaw and early on, Drouin which fit good. We could tell he had a blast. He played Center all season. He had MANY goals in the early games, like his first 8 or so. Was a surprise for everyone. I don't see him getting more than, 57 points. Too many things are off, linemates, position he plays, his mood... hope he figures it out.
It wasn't just the start though. Even when people said he was slowing down during the final stretch he was PPG.

As for linemates, he was doing it without Drouin who went ice cold. He even got Lehky to start scoring. Its not like Shaw is some sort of world beater either.

Domi's issues are mental right now. Once sorted out, he's easily a 60pt player. Not 40 like the guy I quoted suggested.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
It wasn't just the start though. Even when people said he was slowing down during the final stretch he was PPG.

As for linemates, he was doing it without Drouin who went ice cold. He even got Lehky to start scoring. Its not like Shaw is some sort of world beater either.

Domi's issues are mental right now. Once sorted out, he's easily a 60pt player. Not 40 like the guy I quoted suggested.
Sorting out mental issues are next to impossible in Mtl. It's been proven time and again... and before long Marc Bergevin will decide that it's time to win another trade.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

Guessing you have never played but it's very easy to get confused about your defensive position in hockey. Attackers are constantly trying to confuse & disrupt defenders' positioning. Drag people off their optimal spot to open up some ice for someone else, shift people to suddenly overload a area's coverage, guys sneak into an open spots for quick bang-bang set plays. At the NHL level they have the timing on these plays down to split seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad